1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Called for jury duty again!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 20, 2011.

1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :ninja:

:D

I used to work with a guy that actually DID get his summons via certified mail!

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My mother would always throw hers away, until one day she got one stating that she would face jailtime or a hefty fine if she didnt appear. Now she goes.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Did you ever actually serve? Just being called doesn't count for anything. They will keep calling you until you actually go through the process.

I had grand jury duty a few years ago, 3 months, 3 days a week, you want to talk bad timing and bad pay for a self employed person.

Do your civic duty, it's actually quite interesting and will give you a much better idea of what's going on in your own back yard.

Dirk

p.s. hey you kids get off my lawn!!!! :)

4. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    I like comedian Doug Stanhope’s bit on how to beat jury duty.

If it’s any BS crime like prostitution, drug possession, or anything dealing with the IRS, just automatically say “Not guilty”. The more guilty they are, the funnier it is when you say “Not Guilty”.

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yes, 2x as a petit juror. A week both times.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I might look like a dumbass, but I'm very articulate when I have to be.

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I served as a juror on a murder trial that lasted 6 weeks.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Ironically enough, I've had jury duty in your city.

I used to be negative on jury duty too, but in recent years I've flipped my opinion on it. Aside from the fact that it's a part of ensuring that liberties are fairly defended, and my work will pay me for any hours served, my girlfriend recently served on a jury (as opposed to sitting in a crowded room waiting for a dismissal) and found it a rewarding experience. Her appreciation was contagious enough to make look forward to getting a summons in the mail.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  10. I served on a jury once for a week. I can't say I didn't find the experience interesting. However, after that week, I came back and didn't have a job.
    Now, it is illegal to fire someone for going to jury duty. However, in a right to work state, the employer is not required to provide any reason at all for your termination. So, unless they actually say they are firing you for going to jury duty, you have no recourse against them at all.
    If the law can't protect my livelihood when it tries to force me to do something like serve on a jury, it can go **** itself. I will never risk my job again by serving on a jury, I don't care how respectable a company I work for now.

If you watch history channel, you've probably seen commercials for a certain show centered on the pawn shop that pulled this crap on me.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That sounds like more of a reason to move to a state with better labor laws than an admonishment against jury duty.

12. I have nothing against jury duty. I already said it was an interesting experience. But if they can't protect my job, they have no right forcing me to it. The whole "right to work" state thing creates a loophole big enough to drive a semi truck through. And unfortunately, a great many states have this same policy.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I would venture to say that NO state can offer job protection. If an employer wants to fire you, they can and will find a way.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Almost all job agreements I've ever seen say "at will" and for "any reason" in regards to the employer/employee relationship.

15. Exactly my point. I'm not going to risk my livelihood at jury duty again if they can't do anything to protect it. All their verbiage saying it is illegal to fire someone for going to jury duty is just feel good verbiage and has no real authority when it can be side stepped so easily.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Timely thread for me, because I sat in a Philly courtroom all day yesterday for jury duty. It was the fourth time I've been called in 12 years, and it's a waste of time, because as an attorney (albeit not practicing anymore) I'll probably never get picked. The two previous times, I'd had some connection with one of the lawyers, and yesterday I knew I'd get chucked as soon as I sat down in the courtroom.

It was a civil case, and the defendant's two representatives were wearing security/police uniforms from the university where my wife and I attended law school, and where she currently works. Lo and behold, the university was indeed the defendant. There was no way I would end up on that jury, and yet I had to sit there all day as the attorneys interviewed about 40 of us.

The irony is I would really like to sit on a jury. It would be interesting. But I usually end up saying something that makes the lawyers nervous, so I'm gone. For example, years ago one asked why he would want me on his jury. I said: "If you have a strong case." Done.

Yesterday, I really wanted to get out of it because of an unusual work situation, and they anticipated a five day trial. That would have been a problem.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my wife has gotten called 4 times in the last 10 years... every time we call the jury manager and talk with her. Each time my wife has been excused or pushed back 6 months. She just got called again last month, she's now back on the list for Jan 2012.

18. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Perhaps you were "risking your livelihood" via your job performance when you were actually showing up at work every day, and the termination coinciding with your jury duty was purely coincidence?

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    First time I was called we were all dismissed at noon, second time I as called was about 6 months (had moved) later so I just provided the dates and I didn't have to go.

I have a family member who is currently serving on a grand jury. Once a week for up to 18-months, longer if necessary. The start date was delayed about 2 months because the prior session went over their 18 months. She was able to get the one day a week covered at her work and has since retired so now it's not so much a problem, but they said up front if you're picked there is pretty much no way out.

20. Not likely. I have a very strong work ethic. Pawn shops aren't exactly known for their good ethics. In addition they said I would get paid for the time at jury duty before I ended up getting chosen to serve. Needless to say I never got paid for that time.