1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Called for jury duty again!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 20, 2011.

1. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    You should be in California. Very strict labor laws which are very favorable to the employee. I wouldn't want to be the employer who tried firing an employee during or immediately after serving jury duty, even if the employee deserved it (assuming the employee was smart enough to take the right action).

On the other hand, here in San Francisco we can be called every year. I was there two weeks ago and was dismissed after 4½ days -- they were still pretty far from completion of JURY SELECTION when I was dismissed. They expected the trial to last about eight weeks after jury selection.

2. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC

I thought you could only be called for jury duty if you were a registered voter... has that changed in the last few years, or is it different out in California?

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'm not aware of the history, but surely that wouldn't make sense? People could avoid jury duty by simply not registering to vote.

Mind you, any theory involving "things being different in California" has some chance of being true, so you may be right.

4. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC

That's exactly how it was when I took U.S. Government in high school some 10 or 12 years ago... "Jury Duty" being one of the responsibilities that comes along with the participation in the electoral process. I was always bummed because, like the other poster, I'm a "permanent resident" so I can't vote- but I've always wanted to serve jury duty!

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've never served. I've only been summoned once and I got out of it for health reasons. Hooray infirmity!

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it's done by driver's license here so voter registration isn't necessary. A couple of years ago, one of my students from Saudi Arabia received a jury duty notice because he had obtained a Pennsylvania license. He thought he had been sued or charged with a crime, and was terrified! (Jury duty is not exactly a familiar concept to Saudis, even lawyers like this guy.)

The Philadelphia jury duty notice comes with a card you fill out and send back. If you're not a U.S. citizen, you check that box and are excused.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    So...just reviving this thread again to say that this is now number freaking 8!!!!!!
    Yes, I have once again been called for jury duty. I am literally called every 2 or 3 years, over and over and over again. My wife who WANTS to be called, still has not received a single summons for service.
    FML.
    I understand civic duty and all of that, but every 2-3 years is just getting ridiculous.

8. I have been called every three years like clock work since I turned 18 I am now 55 this month, I just serve again in March this year

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Holy cow...that's just way too much considering how many people there are in this state. Maybe it's a Jersey thing!

When I'm called I have to go into downtown Trenton. I really despise it... I served on a jury about 7 years ago and the defendant's brother was actually threatening jurors on their walk to the courthouse.
    Lovely. Cant wait to do it all again...:meh:

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    What Jury Duty Notice?

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I hate you

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its the name of my next band.

:bag:

Alls Im saying is that I aint ever seen one. Nope, not one ever :ninja:

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    My wife's the same way - not a single summons for jury duty in the 12 years that we've been together. nada... I've had about 4 in that same period.
    My dad has had none in the past 12 years, neither has my brother or my mom.
    Now, given that the selection is supposed to be totally random, I must be either one lucky or unlucky SOB..

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Go in there dressed up in all your old school solider clothes. I bet they send you right home. :D

-Mike

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I plan on expressing my Libertarian beliefs on certain substances loudly and clearly. That's all I'm sayin'

16. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    doubt it.

My wife sued someone in a civil suit that turned into a jury trial.

One if the potential jurors stated his occupation as a vampire .

He sat on the jury.

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    FIJA T-shirt?

(edit: This may not be safe.)

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I love jury duty, but I never get on a jury. I've worked with dozens of attorneys on cases, and employed two attorneys full time.

19. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    I just got released from Jury Duty yesterday. I got on-line and checked my group number. Out of a dozen groups, two were released and I got lucky. Never had to go in.
    Won't be elgible for 18 mos. (Calif.)

I honestly think everyone should sit on a jury at least one time in their life. Other than that, I hope you always get excused.

The whole atmosphere of the court house is a bummer.
    Everything drags on and on. Stuffy. Haters, hating. Lots of cops. Lawyers slithering all around.
    You sit there trying to figure out who is the biggest story teller. It is different than what we are used to. But like I said, being on a jury trial is a one time experience you need to put on your bucket list.

20. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Quit whining and do your duty.