1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Called for jury duty again!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 20, 2011.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    shattap!

2. That's exactly what I did. They asked about being indifferent and I said no because the defendant wasn't there at the case and I thought that it was pretty lame to not even show up for a case you're involved in but I have to lose overtime at work to sit here..got sent home and that was the end of that

3. haha!...this ^^would probably work north of the border!

Wouldnt showing up on the first day (jury selection?)..wearing this and reeking of burbon at 10am get you excused?
    Kenny-Powers--Rebel-Flag-(No-BG)---Men-s.

My great grandfather was african (north) american ;-) so please dont get the wrong idea by me posting this shirt. Heck up until the 90's sometime when i saw the rebel flag it was a general lee memory for me, since i probably watched every episode 5 times over. lol

4. I have never been called for jury duty. But i thought they ask you a bunch of questions to see if your "fit" to be a juror?...I imagine if you truly didnt want to do it...or have a family vacation planned im sure there are some "unrealistic or weird" answers you could give to get out of it?

5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Do it for the illusion of freedom and bald eagles!

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Someone should get those eagles whigs.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No, not in New Jersey.. politics aside we're sort of a "police state lite". It's very hard to get out of such state-related things.

You can get out of jury duty only for hardship reasons, (illness vetted by a Dr, the ability to prove severe money loss from not being able to work for a week or more, etc) or if you meet certain criteria (are over 65, work for the state) or lastly if you've served on a jury in the last 3 years. I was called up about 2 years ago but didn't serve so it's a 50/50 chance at this point.
    If you have any issues like vacations, funerals, etc, they will sometimes allow you to postpone service but will not cancel it.

The kicker is that if you actually make it obvious that you're trying to get out of serving (wearing odd clothes, spouting obscenities, etc), you WILL end up in more trouble than it's worth.

I actually have no issues in serving on a jury and have already done so. My issue is really that this is a repeated situation every few years and it does cause a whole lot of difficulty with work and getting my kids to/from school. It ends up costing me big time.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Lookee here! It's Babbitt and Costello! :p

9. YIKES!:eek:...even if your not breaking any laws?. What kind of trouble would they give you?. eg:all of a sudden your getting pulled over by the police for no reason every couple months?.lol

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I guess it all depends on what you do..
    maybe a "contempt of court" charge? Hard to say for sure but it's a well-known fact that you don't mess with it.:rollno:

Check this one out: http://gothamist.com/2011/04/06/judge_sentences_racist_juror_to_ind.php

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    3vi8ae.

-Mike

12. I was called for jury duty last year, but was dismissed by the plaintiff's attorney. The case was for medical malpractice.

Here is what I observed:

1. ALL people with post-secondary degrees in TECHNICAL areas were dismissed. (I have two.) This suggested that they did not want anyone who was capable of thinking critically. The only juror selected with any college education was a 22 year old English major.
    2. ALL people with post-graduate degrees were dismissed, regardless of area of study. Again, morons sought.
    3. Everyone was questioned about their education / reading interests / etc. We were also questioned about whether we had "strong feelings" on certain issues, including tort reform. The answers were received privately, by the attorneys and judge.
    4. If you dress professionally - you will dress better than a vast majority of the juror pool. This influences the attorneys' opinion of you as well. Business casual works well. Jeans & a T-shirt are not professional.

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Never had jury duty. What Che said was pretty spot on during the one time I received a jury summons and couldn't pull the "I'm living/going to school in a different state" card. Mine was for someone who was arrested for marijuana possession with intent to sell/distribute.

"Have you received a college degree?"
    "Yes, I have."
    "What was your major?"
    "A bachelor of science in botany from the University of Oklahoma."
    "Botany? As in plant science?"
    "Yes, ma'am. I also have a masters degree in biology fro-"
    "Thank you, you're dismissed."

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Judges are pretty hip to that. For instance, they'll see right through the ol', "Well, he wouldn't be here if he didn't do something, right?"

15. I pictured you saying that in the voice of your avatar...lmao

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just did that myself, now I need to clean this coffee up.

17. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I have been excused from 4 jury panels by using this simple method:

Say its an (felony) assault case involving firearms. You're called to the jury box. Ask the Judge to speak "sidebar" with the prosecutor & defense attorneys.
    Tell them you own several firearms, that you may be somewhat biased and feel you may not be an impartial juror. They will send you home. Guranteed.

Say is a civil case involving custody/caretaker of an elderly person with severe dementia. Again, do the sidebar routine and tell them you have an aunt struggling with a similar custody battle and you may not be qualified to sit on the panel.

Thank you sir, you're excused".

Or it may be a domestic violence case where the perp tortured a pet to inflict emotional pain on his spouse.
    Again, the sidebar. Explain you've had pets since you were a kid and couldnt bear to hear testimony of battery on a helpless animal.

Buh -bye!.

No matter what the matter of the trial involves, Theres always an opportunity to inject some personal experience into the voir dire vetting process.

Now, if i could only figure out a way stop the summons.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    What summons? I dont recall ever receiving such a thing.

:bag:

19. +1

If you dont get a registered summons that needs your sig....they cant prove that you received anything in the mail. No?