Calling Aggie DB 359 owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwreid, Jul 12, 2005.

1. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Mine arrives today and I've been scoping out racks. What I notice is that the 359's frequently have buckled front plates because people rack mount them with just the front ears. I've emailed Aguilar on this and they confirm it and agree the amp should also have rear and/or side support. They had no suggestions however other than to drag out my woodworking and metal working skills. Hmmmm! I am quite handy on that front but I'm sure there are people here who have already solved the problem and hopefully with an off-the-shelf solution. What say you fellows?
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My DB 359 arrived with a bent front plate. It appears that it was shipped sitting on its side for a long part of the trip. The rack that it was shipped in did not have rear rack rails, which very well may have prevented this.

The rack which I have it in now also does not have rear rack rails, but I think that so long as you don't store it on its side, it should be okay.

Let us know how you like the amp! That 359 is a tone machine!

3. newdull

newdull Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I got a got a shock-mount case from Gator for my 359. It's one of those "case within a case" deals. It has some support it the back of the case, and a lot of air space around the amp for better cooling. It was more expensive and it's a bit heavier, but I figured it was worth it considering how clumsy (drunk) I can be at shows.
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have the same rack. I also have kept mine mounted at the botto of most racks before and haven't had a problem. Since the 359 does not have rear rack ears, and the amp extends past the rear rack, I have wrapped foam on the bottom of the rear rack, so it doesn't scratch the amp.
  5. TubeCooker

May 19, 2004
    Coppell, TX
    This amp is a bit unusual in that the weight requires hefty handles, and it is also a long 2RU so it may not fit in a standard rack.

I custom ordered a 2RU wooden wooly case from a small case manufacturer. I requested that they offset the front rails back to provide the clearance required by the front handles (I had them set it back 2 inches from the front cover - when it is in place), and ordered it long enough (mine is 24 inches long) to provide the space required to fit the amplifier additional length as well as to have enough space to fit the cord in the back with the skins on.

I also ordered some plastic vents from a furniture supply company - 4 small round ones for the sides and two rectangular vents. I then installed one of the rectangular vents directly over the tubes in the back top of the rack, and one of the rectangular vents towards the front on the bottom. The four round vents were evenly distributed on the sides. I used a jig saw to cut the vent holes, then set them with epoxy. This should help a little to keep some air moving around the amp, and let the heat from the tubes vent directly.

I found some rubber gaskets at the hardware store and wedged them top and bottom in the back of the amp to help with supporting the weight of the amplifier. Also, adding some feet to the bottom of the case give it a little lift to keep the bottom vent open.

Attached Files:

6. I bought one used and the front faceplate was bent as well. These are really back heavy and there really isn't much you can do except place something underneath the amp to provide support when racked.

What I was planning on doing was putting it in the rack case with the rack case upside down, so that the two "grooves" that allow you to stack racks were underneath the amp facing up. On top of those, I planned on putting strips of some rubber of some sort that would help support the weight of the amp from underneath. Of course all that is moot now since I sent the amp back after it died 5 minutes after I started playing it. It is a Gator 2U rack, btw.