Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all Accugroove, Epifani and Schroeder users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLM, Nov 7, 2005.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    My current set-up is 5-string low B --> Demeter 201s preamp --> Stewart 1.2 poweramp with each channel throwing 350 watts @ 4 ohms --> Schroeder 1210 and 1212 cabinets. I enjoy the Schroeder cabs but am always considering my options. So...

What two-cab combo would you recommend from Accugroove and Epifani? Here are the criteria for each cab: cannot exceed 57 lbs., must be efficient enough to be powered by my Stew 1.2, combined cabs must meet or exceed the low-end I get with the Schroeder set-up.

(I'm leaning towards two smaller cabs for portability and weight considerations. However, if there is a lightweight single cab that meets the criteria above, I'm open to it.)

Please ask any questions if it would help you make an informed suggestion. Thanks for your input and please fire away!

2. 57 pounds..... Epi410UL.... super efficient, super loud, super light! Tone is very articulate with lots of upper mids and a very crisp and aggressive treble response if you want it. The 8ohm version would allow you to bridge your 2.1... it would be massively punchy and loud. If you like new round wounds, slap on occasion and have good technique, this cab is just wonderful.... every nuance (for better or worse!) comes out.

I've only played one for a short time in a store setting, but the Accugroove Whappo Jr. is a nice cab also, and is actually lighter than what is listed on their website (according to another TBer, both 12's are now neo's, so it's about the same weight as the Epi410UL. The El Whappo was too darn big and heavy for me to consider, and was really voiced to the lower end of the frequency spectrum IMO.

I greatly prefered the upper mid and treble clarity of the 410UL to the Whappo Jr's more low mid response and more polite high end, but that's just personal taste..... both great cabs that are loud enough for most gigs.

I also love my Schroeder 1210 for smaller gigs... the current Schroeder410 is too heavy IMO.... I know Jorg is looking into a Neo version that would cut the weight.

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I totally agree with KJUNG. I use Epifani 410UL at 4 ohms but also have a 210 and a 115 I use together (both 8 ohms bridged to 4) for some of my out door gigs and just the 210 for real small venues. The 15 adds a great botton for my low B with the 210. AG's are great too but for same reason as KJUNG, I prefer the Epi's. But why use two 4 ohm cabs, why not just one or two 8 ohms and bridge your Stewart? IMO :smug:

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No brainer for me: Epifani 410UL. Then you can dump everything else...which is more or less what I'm doing these days! ;)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

are you not happy w/ the amount of low end you get from the Schroe's? interesting, cause i'd think something like the Schroe's would have more than enough low end?

IMHO, you might not be sending enough power into each cab. as you add more of the low end knob into your overall sound, having plenty of power to properly deliver that low end is crucial. btw, the extra wattage isnt needed for your setup to be loud. its there to allow the low end to be more present.

but if you're deadset on a new cab, i say Epifani. you'll have that sorta voiced, punchie sound akin to the Schroe. and all the Epifani cabs i've owned have more than enough booty, and yes, i'm a proud Acme owner. ;)

the accugroove's do extend even further down the spectrum for some really low low tones, but you wont have nearly the natural low mid punch of the Schroe's. you might not actually like the accugrooves compared to the Schroe's inherently inyourface punch. i guess you could mate up a Whappo Jr. w/ a Schroe 1212 or somethin' to get the best of both worlds.

6. I interpreted the issue being weight versus sound or low end.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cause i like to be able to control what's coming out of mismatch cabs, i.e. 2x10 + 1x15. ;)

course, if they're the same cab like a pair of 2x10s, then yea, bridge that sucker and go to town.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, interesting, cause i was thinking more on the "low end" side. :cool:

9. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    You and KJUNG are both right. :hyper: Weight and low end.
    What I like about Epi's is that they not only handle the B and lower guages efficiently, but will produce the tonalities of any bass I use effectively.

It's in our nature (bassists) to explore the tonal world of frequencies.

DLM, just thought you'd like to know what I play through. Fodera Emperor 5 w/Fodera nickle-steel wound strings and a 64 Jazz w/TI flat wounds. WW ultra high and now I use only the Epi 502UL.

10. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks for the suggestion. Although this fits the weight criteria, I'm thinking the size is too big. What about the 310UL? Would that be a good one-cab solution?

Also, I have the 1.2 Stewart, not 2.1.

11. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I'm happy with the low-end of the Schroeders and just don't want to lose any. Also, I'm just thinking about something tonally different, as well. Plus, both Schroeders 1210 and 1212 are weighing in at 57 lbs. each, not 47 lbs. as advertised. So, I was thinking of something different...as well as lighter, if possible.

12. Even the 1.2 Stewart would drive the Epi's fine, since they are very efficient (just like the Schroeder's). I have both the 310UL and 410UL. The 310UL sound great, and tonally is very similar to the 410UL. If you are doing moderate sized/volume gigs, it sounds great. It's a wonderful cab for jazz and moderate volume pop playing, and as you point out, is significantly smaller than the 410UL.. and will fit in most back seats. However... there is a pretty significant different in punch and 'hit you in the chest' impact between the 410UL and 310UL... with the 410UL just sounding much bigger in the low end, and much more viseral... you can really dig into the B string on the 410. The 310UL won't crap out down there, it just doesn't move as much air.

I find the volume of the 1210 and 310UL very similar, if that helps... with the 310UL being a little more open in the low end and voiced to bring out more of the upper mids vs. the low mid burb of the 1210.

So, if you are finding that the 1210 is enough for most of your gigs, the Epi310UL truly is 47 pounds, and since it sits rather high, you can put wheels on it and easily wheel it with your rack on top without having to bend over too much.

Hope that helps.

K

13. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    DLM.. Your Stewart bridged @ 4 ohms will be 1200 watts which is plenty of headroom to pust a 410 or 310 efficiently.
    KJUNG is right, the 310 can have an undisierable effect at loud volums with the B. That's why I went with 2-210's and now with the 410UL (I used the 210's while waiting for the 410UL). Have you concidered 2-210's, they'll be less weight and small enough to move about. You'll get more of everything out of two of those than one 410 or 310. That being that you said a 410 would be too big. The 210UL is 38 lbs.
    I use a portable telescoping hand cart to move my gear around, spk cab, amp with my bass over my shoulder all in one trip. Good for stairs too.

14. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks, KJung. That's helpful. I think we're getting somewhere. So, it sounds like I would need to get two 310UL cabs to approximate the "wall of sound" I'm getting with my current 1210/1212 combo. If that's correct, than the 310UL as a single-cab equivalent is out of the question. But man, you nearly sold me on your description of the 410UL... :eek:

Anyway, any other suggestions?

15. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks, MacGroove. 38lbs is heading in the right direction! In what way do you think having two 210ULs would be "more" than a single 410UL?

16. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I don't mind losing some volume from my current Schroeder setup as long as I can keep up with loud drummers...

Just out of curiosity, how come no one has suggested two Accugroove Tri112Ls or two Tri210Ls?

Or two Epifani UL-112s?

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love mine, but if you want different, i say go for the Accugrooves. a more neutral profile w/ a fat sound.

18. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Not that it's needed, but you'll have 2 tweeters, but mostly important, you'll have more cab air space and can achieve a bigger sound. Tech terms I'm not good at :smug: so I hate to sound so childish in explaining. I also find it easy to put 2 smallers cabs in a vehicle than 1 large one, although the 2 together are bigger. For you information, I have a 112NYC I use for home and band rehersals, sometimes studio too. I'm going to add another 112 since I just sold my 212 for the reason of portability. I do love and prefer the sound of 12's but for the band I'm in, we get pretty loud so the 410 fits in nicely.
    Even though I check out other cabs, the Epi's have always suited my tonal hunger. :)

19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Hey, I was about to suggest two Tri-112's. I only have one but I really like it. Well balanced sound, 38lbs, and you're not paying for the now infamous 'Accuswitch' (my only gripe with Mark's offerings). You'd have one nearer to ear-level when stacked vs. a 4-10" cab.

Ken

20. You are correct... that 1210/1212 stack is a thing of beauty. The 410UL would easily keep up, the single 310 would not.

The only other suggestion I have is to take a deep breath and wait about 4 more weeks to see what the deal is with Jorg and his Neo experiment. I don't have any deep inside info, but do know that he is working to develop much lighter Neo versions of his cab, if he can keep the same sound profile in the Neo version. In that case, you could eventually swap out your wonderful, relatively heavy 1210/1212 stack for a.... wonderful, relatively light 1210/1212 stack :D

I am not a huge fan of the Accugroove line... but they are great cabs depending on the sound profile you like. IMO, if you like a somewhat aggressive high end and a lot of upper mid punch, those cabs are not for you. However, if you are more in the 'Anthony Jackson' tone family (just using that as an example of a more bottom heavy, fingerstyle sound... IMO they are awesome. Even though there is lots of drama out there now regarding the Bass Player review, I found that their description of the 410UL sound and the Tri210 sound in their respective reviews was EXACTLY what I heard with both those cabs. Others will violently disagree!