Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling All Aguilar DB750 Users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Y2K+5 has been a rather opportune year for me... thus far. A little over a month ago I scored a virtually flawless '99 Warwick Thumb-5 NT for $1300 and change. I had coveted this bass ever since I first held one in my hands back in... 1999. I put some new DR High-Beams on it recently, and had the neck and bridge adjusted a little bit... I am truly loving this instrument... :smug:

Just this past Tuesday, I got myself an Aguilar DB750. I bought if from a bass player, US Navy friend, who unexpectedly finds himself having to ship out to the Persian Gulf... he leaves next week. I know this amp, as I was with my buddy the day he picked it up from the store, and that was back in October 2004. He recalled how jealous I was that day, so he gave me the first opportunity to latch onto it.

I know what he paid for it... about $2300, and I know how often he played it... 2 - 3 practice sessions per week at relatively low volume, and 4 - 5 one-nighters per month. He hooked the Aggie up to an Eden D410XLT. I have one of these myself, so I wasn't interested in taking his, but he found a buyer for it anyway. The guy played mostly jazz and contemporary stuff, so he never really worked the Aggie very hard.

When my friend called last Monday to tell me he had to leave, because he needed to scrape together some fast cash, he was willing to sell me his Aggie, and he knew I would be interested. He said he wanted $1800 for it. I didn't bother with a counter offer. I simply told him I would drop by his place the following day with checkbook in hand. Oh yeah... the price included the 4-space SKB rack-mount case he kept the amp in since day one.

I've only had a couple of opportunities to play around with my recent acquisition. Besides the aforementioned Eden cab, I also have a Bergantino NV215... both cabs are 4 Ohm. I understand I can hook both cabs up to this Aggie, and I'm looking forward to this Sunday, as that's practice day for me and my bandmates. They don't know about my new toy... yet! :D

So... for you DB750 owners: in your opinion, did I do okay with my purchase, or did I pay too much? To be honest, however, even if I did pay too much, that's alright. My buddy needed the money, and after all, he's off to defend our way of life... at least that's the way I see it. Also... I would appreciate your opinions regarding this amp, as well as your personal settings in relationship to the gear you use with it. I've read a lot of material regarding the DB750, and I've checked-out a few threads here in TB, but I would still like to absorb some current feedback. :)

Thank you all... :hyper:

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    IMO, it's the best amp I've ever heard, and I've heard quite a few in 30 years of bass playing. My recommendation for starting settings? Flat. Sometimes I turn up the bass EQ just a tad. That's about it.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    DB750 and NV215! Now I'm jealous!

Tone heaven!

There will be some efficiency mismatch between the XLT and the NV, but I bet it still sounds good (you might want to back off on the XLT's tweeter level and let the Berg do its thing).

Congratulations!

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    You didn't pay too much - and you have a *killer* setup!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search on ebay for the DB750, and make sure you check off "completed items" in the search options. you'll see a bunch of fnished auctions that included the 750. average together the prices and you should find your answer.

but nice score, sounds like a terrific rig. :cool:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You did OK on the price. You didn't steal it, but it's a fair price.

Now, as far as the amp ... forget about what you paid, you've got a great amp! I run mine through a D-410XLT also, and the sound is full and loud. It's not as hi-fi and modern sounding as the Eden stuff, rather warm and furry. You're going to love it.

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yup! I think you just might be right, Munji... I just spent about 3 hours getting to know this Aggie lady on a more intimate basis. I have a 10K sq.ft. warehouse where me and 'da boyz do our practicing. Today's Saturday, and it's just me alone with my rig. I set-up the PA, since we will be practicing tomorrow anyway, and hooked-up the CD player. I then decided to try out both of my cabinets: NV215 & D410XLT... :eek:

"Lo-freq" suggested "...there will be some efficiency mismatch between the XLT and the NV..." I'll have to plead dummy here, 'cuz I'm not sure what he's implying. While I keep the horn level low anyway (not off, mind you), what I was hearing today was an incredible wall of sound. I got the best of both worlds out of these two cabinets: a very low, full sound from the 15's, yet defined as one expects from a Begantino; the 4x10's gave clear, high-end punch that 10's are supposed to deliver, and Eden does it better than most... and that Aggie girl was sitting there ready to give me more than I could handle! :D

I played along with a few tracks from the CD player, and I kept peering over to the Aggie's red clip LED, but it never lit up... Tomorrow my bandmates will be introduced to my new friend... This just keeps getting better and better... :bassist:

8. Hey a big congrats on some premo gear. A realistic price. I just aquired one near a month ago and used it on two gigs with my El Whappo so far. Man it's currently my favorite setup. I would love to hear how you like it with the NV215 which is my only slight twinge of GAS at the moment. So far I have set my DB750 pretty flat. The first gig I set it with some bass cut and controled from my Sadowsky VJ4, this was an outside gig. The next gig that was inside/club, I kept flat but added some mid which was very pleasing and cut well in an echo/fishbowl type room I had the gain pretty low too. Great amp.. tons of good ol' solid-booty-punch. With the EW you can hear every note speak with some deeeeelicious "tone to the bone."

9. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    First of all... thank you for the kind words, Big. Not only am I delighted to have gotten this amp, but I was able to help out a buddy, too. I just posted another comment; re.: playing this amp with BOTH of my cabs: NV215 and D410XLT... :eek: Truly amazing! Tomorrow, when 'da boyz show up, I'm going to try the NV215 on it's own, then the D410XLT, then BOTH. :D

...but you know what's impressing me the most from this amp? Its basic simplicity. That's it! I seem to be getting all the eq-ing I need directly from either my Warwick Thumb-5, or my Fender Stu Hamm Urge-II... both being active basses.

Anyway... tomorrow's a new day, and my bandmates will be in for a surprise. I'll get to see how this Aggie girl cuts through the mix. :smug:

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The sensitivity of the XLT is rated at 106dB and the NV215 at 101dB.

Basically, even if the XLT is 8ohm instead of 4ohm, it will be putting out more volume than the NV when you connect them both to a one channel amp.
    I'm sure they sound great together though.

I'll be interested to see which you like better when you run them one at a time.

11. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Thank you, Lo... I appreciate your input. Earlier today I hooked-up BOTH cabs to the Aggie, and played along with the CD player through the PA... kranked-up! While I didn't notice whether or not the 410 was actually louder (BTW, it is 4 Ohm, but you probably figured that out anyway...) than the 215, the 10's definitely cut through the mix. I will take your comment to task tomorrow when me and 'da boyz get together for practice. I shall pay closer attention.

Also, I did fool around some with just the NV215 and the Aggie... this for the first time. Having said that, since I obtained the amp last Tuesday, I've been playing it through the XLT, but at relatively low volume in my office. The Aggie and 410 combination sounds fantastic, but the bottom seems deeper and thicker coming from the 215's, and, seeing as how it is a masterfully engineered Bergantino, the mids & highs are still well defined. I'll know more tomorrow when my boyz show-up... I'll then try both cabinets on their own, then both together (visions of matching an NV610 with the NV215 have danced around in my head... :eyebrow: )

Man, I'm loving this... :D

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was at my local GC today, and w/ a used standard Lakland 55-94, was able to try an all aguilar stack, i.e. DB750 + GS120 + GS115 = HOLY &$%@ CRAP!!!

i had to re-route the wiring, cause someone had it running in serial from cab to the other, so with another speakon'd cable, hooked it up all proper, and good lawdy, the tone was fat, thick, punchie, and with a tight taut low end, that makes me very Very VERY happy. had i had the strength of 5 roadies, i'd be using that setup ALL DAY.

i was also able to try an AG500/2x12 combo, and while it sound great, too, the DB750 just felt and sounded a bit more 3D and the low end seemed to extend further. the AG setup was a bit more immediate/responsive, but i much preferred the 750 setup.

bottom line: Lakland + Aguilar = RAWK

13. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle

So which one would you actually take to gigs? Is the tone on the 750 better enough that you wouldn't mind the extra weight in comparison?

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I love mine it just bought a brand new one for the same price from a great retailer. They are worth every penny bro!!

15. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    you like it better than your WWU Berg setup?! :eek: Considering weight and tone, which one would you take to a gig? Oh, and how does that 750 sound with the Berggies?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whichever i felt like at the time. ;)

but most likely the AG, only cause its lighter in weight, and the low mid / low high knobs would be a godsend for moi. and depending on the mix, i doubt anyone in the audience would tell the diff.

still, i will say this, and i forgot to mention, but the 750 seemed to have all the things i love about a power tube section yet without the fat. had that weighty tube lovin', but didnt sag, feel as sloppy, or saturate to mud when turned up loud. again, the low end had that weightiness that i cant get enough of in my DB728, yet was taut, tight, and uber responsive like my SS power amps.

heady, favorable, and reedikulous.

honestly, whatever mojo aguilar put into the 750, they should release as a separate power amp. i'm actually gonna go back to the GC, and bring along my Demeter HBP-1 just to confirm my suspicions.

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    It is 6:25 p.m. here in the islands ('dat be 12:25 tomorrow morning back there in New York City!), and I just got through putting away my stuff after a 4-1/2-hour practice session with 'da boyz. When they saw my DB750, they all freaked! :eek: Me? I just smiled with a little smirk going... :smug: While our front man and drummer didn't really know much about this amp (is anyone really surprised here?), my little guitar player definitely had some knowledge about Aguilar products... that impressed me! :eyebrow:

As usual, I showed-up to my warehouse about an hour before anyone else. When the guys get here, and our drummer usually arrives before the other two, I have my stuff all set-up and ready. I had both the D410XLT and the NV215 out, so when my drummer saw that, he knew something was up! It took him about a minute before he noticed that there was an Aggie sharing the rack along with my Korg tuner... not my usual Ashdown ABM500RC Evo-II. I got a kick out of that... :D

Anyway, I digress. I started our session using only the NV215 with the Aggie, because I feel that this would be the combination I would use most of the time. There is so much power eminating from this amplifier, and its basic, simple design makes it so easy to use. I discovered right off the bat that I can play this amp at low volume, yet still have a thick, full bottom end, as well as well defined mids and highs... and this is coming out of the 15's. Having said that, I do realize that Jim Bergantino's design has something to do with this, too. When we got around to doing some of our Cream stuff... Crossroads, Sunshine..., White Room, and Badge... I decided to run the Gain up to about 3 o'clock, and I brought the Master down to 8 o'clock from 9... that's when the sweet overdrive kicked-in. Blowing through 'dem 15-inchers... I think I did Jack Bruce proud today! :D

We took a break after doing the Cream stuff, and I then hooked-up the Eden D410XLT along with the NV215. This combination is truly spectacular. I say this, because I found that I don't have to use much volume at all in order to drive these six speakers (actually seven when you include the little 6-incher that's in the NV215). I had reset the Master to 9 o'clock, then brought the Gain back down to about 10 - 11 o'clock. I ran all the EQs flat, but I did switch on the bass boost. I did any subsequent EQ-ing from my Thumb-5 bass. The four of us soon realized that this is the optimal set-up, because our sound had instantly became more full. There's no mushy, low-end rumble... the sound is low, fat, and defined... but full... and that's what's coming our of the Bergie! The D410XLT is also giving a thunderous low-end, but those 10's are doing what they do best... punching the notes through the mix with great mid-range and high-end. I keep that horn level down low... but not entirely off, because I've read that you don't want to shut the horn completely off.

It was mutually decided by all that I need to lug both cabinets to our gigs whenever, and wherever I can. I said that I would, but someone will have to assist me. Our drummer said he would gladly oblige... he certainly can handle it... he stands about 6'-8", and weighs about 250 lbs. The man keeps himself in excellent shape for a 40+ year-old. Oh yeah... he's of Samoan ancestry! He can, indeed, pound those drums!

Well that's about it. Now I have to decide what, if anything, I should do with my Marshall VBA400... hmmmmm! :meh:

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek:

hopefully, the islands dont crumble from the sheer output. :p but good stuff, k, having all that firepower must be stinky fun.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Very cool!

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, how did you arrange the cabs?

20. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    So, what's going to happen to the EVO? Sounds like it's a "no contest" between that and the DB750.