Calling All Ampeg B100R Users....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillm47, Dec 11, 2003.

1. I'm currently using a Bassman 400 Pro combo and a Sansamp RBI. I love the phat sound of the RBI with my P bass through this combo. BUT - GAS is developing for the Ampeg B100R. I love the Bassman and plan on keeping it, but the smaller size of the B100R and the simplicity of six knobs and one cord appeals to me.

Does the B100R get the phat, CLEAN, tube sound that the RBI delivers? GAS could be terminated if I ended up having to use the RBI with Ampeg - kills the simplicity aspect.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont use that amp but to partly answer your question, the B100R is all solid state.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have one. It doesn't really give a tube sound for the reason stated above. What it does give you is an approximation of the vintage tone for which the original was known. If you're looking for "true" tube warmth, well, you're not going to get it from a solid state. If you want a nice approximation of vintage tone, this one is great.

Heavy as hell for its size, though.
  4. I have a B100R that I use at practice/small gigs and it's pretty old school Motown sounding to me. I noticed when recording a practice, that if I close mic the B100R with a Shure SM57 the mic helps to "enhance" the sound. I think the mic adds a little distortion that sounds like a nice warm rock-n-roll overdrive. In the room mix it sounds clean, on tape it sounds a bit dirty.

I used to have a Bassman 400 combo that I used an RBI with. I thought the RBI made a huge difference in the sound quality. Then I got a new Ampeg 410 cab and hooked it to the output of the Bassman...WOW:eek:

I eventually ended up using the RBI with the Ampeg cab and a QSC power amp.

I'll never get rid of the B100R, it's perfect with a P-Bass.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I use my B-100R with my Rickenbacker 4003 and my Fender P Bass, but I added a SansAmp Bass Driver DI in between. The B-100R is a great amp as stand alone, but that's a fact the SABDDI brings me closer to that tubey vintage tone.

It won't really match any all-tube amp, though.

So I suggest that if you want some kinda vintage tone with a B-100R, you should use your RBI in between.

6. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I own a b-15r, the amp that the b100r is trying to emulate. I have played a b100r on several occasions. Obviously the b-15r is a little warmer, but the b100r is still warm with a strong clear voice. You should be able to get the sound you want with it.
  7. I've experimented with using a SansAmp BDDI and a Fender tube preamp before my B100R, but I prefer the sound of the B100R on its own. Though it's not a tube amp, the B100R most definitely has a warm, phat sound - especially with a P-Bass.