Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

calling all australian talkbassers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Nov 28, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hello all

Im going to be studying in australia reletively soon and i was curious about how expensive music gear was there. I know the aussie wakeboarders used to bitch about how much more the wakeboarding equipment was(like triple the price) and i was curious if that was the case with all american music stuff also. Hows the scene down there? Ill be in Sidney and ill probably try and find people to play with while im down there so just a heads up about whats goin on down there would be great.

2. Hi Hyperlitem, here's a link to Australian ebay so that you can see for yourself what gear is going for downunder. You'll need to convert the AU to USA dollars to get an feel for whether it's expensive or not. If you are bringing US Dollars with you, you may find a few bargains as your currency is still quite a bit stronger than ours.

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/se...=3&lotr=1&from=R2&sacategory=619&BasicSearch=

When you get here, visit "The Bass Player" shop on the Parramatta Rd at Annandale http://www.bassplayer.com.au and while you are there, pick up a free copy of "Drum Media" magazine. It has lots of information about musical happenings in Sydney as well as several pages of classifieds ads for musicians wanted.
    There are a lot of music shops in the Petersham / Annandale area, all located on the Parramatta Rd. :bassist:

3. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Wait a minute...you're going to be studying AND have money for gear!?! Tell me wear to sign up. :D
    I think that stuff out here is generally more expensive than over there. There was a thread a while back called 'All Aussie bassists vent here' or something, which should give you a good idea. A mexican fender will set you back over AU$1000 (US$500 maybe.) at least.
    Where are you going to be studying?

4. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Music gear here is pretty expensive and over priced IMO. But you must realise that we are pretty removed from the rest of the world and importing gear costs alot in freight and in taxes and duties. Hyperlitem, look me up when you are in Sydney and ill take you around the shops if you like. Im pretty friendly with the guys at The Bassplayer and i think they would cut you a pretty good deal.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's some pretty good gear listed in your profile. Are you bringing it with you?

Gear over ere IS expensive. The thing that's going to annoy you most is the lack of brands. Before I joined TB I was blissfully unaware of Acme, Accugroove, Aguiar, Avatar, Bertango.... the list goes on. But there is enough good brands available that most bass players have a good rig.

We've got some localy made brands that might be worth checking out.

As for the gig scene, are you a covers or originals type guy? Drum media is a good suggestion. It will get your foot in the door. The industry is small enough that once you're in the scene, you'll network quickly and meet a lot of musicians.

Send me an email or PM if there's anything I can do to help you out.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    thanks for all the info guys. I dont know if im gonna be buying much gear while im there, i was just kinda curious. Im only gonna be there 14 weeks but id like to play with a band, so im thinkin of picking up a deceant size practice amp, then selling it before i leave. Im not exactly sure where im gonna be studying yet, but i was told there was some sort of technical recording school in syndey. Im kinda just lookin to jam with sum guys while im there, covers or originals it doesnt matter. Ill try and look some of you guys up while im there to check out the scene. Im kinda a punk guy myself so i wouldnt mind seeing sum aussie punk clubs and such while im there.

7. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Here's a classic example of the price differences between gear in the US and Australia -

Fender '54 Precision pink paisley reissue (made in Japan)

Australian RRP = AUD$2000 (c.US$1400)

I just bought one brand new online in the US for US$450. Shipping from the US to Australia will cost me US$75, taxes and fees will cost me US$52.50. Total cost for me will be US$577.50 or AUD$800, which is a saving of around US$800 or AUD$1200 compared to the price here in Australia.

Pretty ugly, huh?

8. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
  9. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Whoa man, thats one helluva saving...

If its really that easy to do, i wonder why its not done more often. Or maybe it is, and i just dont know of it.

Ever had a problem with non-refundable damaged goods?

hijackski, sorry:meh:

10. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    I think most people don't know about it, or they think it's too much trouble to organise. I must say that this particular saving (the '54 reissue P-bass) is just one example, and the saving would not be so great on all brands. Importing a set neck bass will cost more, purely because you're shipping a bigger item (the shipping is approx twice as much). The advantage of bolt on neck imports is that you can unbolt the neck and ship the bass in two smaller packages by post, often avoiding customs hitting you up for GST.

No, I guess I've been lucky, although I always ship with insurance for peace of mind.