1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling All AXL Badwater Capricorn Owners!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fenderwolf95, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Recently, I was ogling around Musician's Friend and came across this bass. It looked great, but that $217 price tag made me more than nervous. The reviews are surprisingly good on it (although there have been a few complaints about the tuners), but I'm really curious before I actually go through with ordering one of these things (I'm not the type that buys on a whim without trying something first) how it sounds - as I'm sure most would be (can't even find a video of one on Youtube :confused: ). So my question is: Would it be possible for anyone who has one of these basses to post an audio clip (or something of that nature) showing this bass' tonal capabilities? (from picking to slapping possibly). It would :help: out a fellow TB'er a ton. Thanks.

:bassist:

(I hope this is in the right section)

2. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    This thing? [​IMG]

Looks like it spent time in a flooded basement. :p

Without seeing the actual complaints about the tuners I'm going out on a limb here. Cheaper basses are usually bought by newbies who do not fit the strings correctly. This is from personal experience. Therefore the first complaint newbies seem to always learn is 'tuners suck'. Tuners operate through a worm gear and therefore should not slip. Slippage occurs in strings when they are fitted incorrectly and not because a worm gear is defying the laws of physics and allowing the string to go slack.

3. TZero

TZero

Oct 9, 2011
    soooo true.

4. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    OK, sorry I can't be helpful with an actual first-hand experience. I just wanted to chime in that it is probably no less reliable than any other bass in its price range. However, you may be paying a bit more for that flood-damaged appearance.

I have not ever heard anyone say that they bought one of these, so I would also be very interested to hear feedback. Nonetheless, I have this thought that this brand is the Kawai/Teisco of it's time and may be a sought after "quirky" guitar in about 30 years. It would never appreciate to the price point of a Fender (Teisco's don't now), but it could be one of the strange anomolies that certain people seek out when they are no longer available. I don't think that they sell well, and most probably wont survive past the first or second owner due to perceptions of "cheapness". So in 30 years or so, the survivors could be collectable.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    As I've said many times, machines are incorrectly blamed for more problems than any other component on guitar or bass.

It also bears pointing out that Musician's Friend reviews are almost never competently knowledgeable and almost always overrated, with an average rating of around 8. :rollno:

That said, these AXL instruments are made with extremely cheap components and tend to be a bit roughly made.

I find the look a bit creepy, too. :meh:

Resale on local CL is about nil here on these. Would I buy one? No.

6. tobiasflint

tobiasflint

Sep 6, 2012
    So, I will tell you that unless you are getting it cause it looks cool and different (I did) then I would consider some thing different. I have spent close to the original price making this bass a truly quality instrument.

The tuners DO in fact suck, I have been a musician for over 12 years and take time and care up keep of my instruments. String changes include fretboard oilings and intonation checks. Having said that the tuners stick strain and fight. I had it for about 10 months before I finally decided it wasn't something that needed to loosen and wear in it needed replacement(1).

The pick ups are noisy and the low end is loose and boomy. I did a pick up replacement within a couple months as well (2). Some Seymour duncan basslines Quarter Pound J bass did quite nicely.

The control pots crackled right out of the box and had to go as well(3).

So:

Bass- $217
    Pick ups- $120
    Tuners- $74
    Control pots- $10 x 3

I have this bass and I love the look and feel. After all the upgrades it plays and sounds quite good as well. Is it a pro quality instrument? No. Is it a cool alternative in a price range that offers little for quality options no matter where you look? Yes. I had to spend some money to make it meet my stringent tonal standards but now I have a stand out bass that gets me compliments every show I play and every place I take it.

Worth it to me? Yes. Worth it to you? Not likely.

7. tobiasflint

tobiasflint

Sep 6, 2012
    So, I will tell you that unless you are getting it cause it looks cool and different (I did) then I would consider some thing different. I have spent close to the original price making this bass a truly quality instrument.

The tuners DO in fact suck, I have been a musician for over 12 years and take time and care up keep of my instruments. String changes include fretboard oilings and intonation checks. Having said that the tuners stick strain and fight. I had it for about 10 months before I finally decided it wasn't something that needed to loosen and wear in it needed replacement(1).

The pick ups are noisy and the low end is loose and boomy. I did a pick up replacement within a couple months as well (2). Some Seymour duncan basslines Quarter Pound J bass did quite nicely.

The control pots crackled right out of the box and had to go as well(3).

So:

Bass- $217
    Pick ups- $120
    Tuners- $74
    Control pots- $10 x 3

I have this bass and I love the look and feel. After all the upgrades it plays and sounds quite good as well. Is it a pro quality instrument? No. Is it a cool alternative in a price range that offers little for quality options no matter where you look? Yes. I had to spend some money to make it meet my stringent tonal standards but now I have a stand out bass that gets me compliments every show I play and every place I take it.

Worth it to me? Yes. Worth it to you? Not likely.