1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling all Berklee students....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BluesyCat, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    I gotta question for ya. My nephew got accepted into Berklee and his parents are wondering if they should buy him all new really nice gear to take there and leave there while he is attending school and leave the old gear at home.

Whadda ya think? Are there any theft problems?

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can tell you that when I was there, a long time ago (1975-6), almost everybody I know had their gear stolen. They took my Kay upright, which was just as well because I hated it.

3. BluesyCat

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Well, I was afraid of that. It probably has not changed. Or I hope it has.

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    ^^^This

(I was there 78-82, had three basses & one guitar stolen in that time, and nearly everyone I knew there lost an instrument via either burglary or mugging)

But also, for completely different reasons, I would advocate bringing less-than-amazing, decidedly not brand-spanking-new, snazzy gear to music school:

Because you're there to learn how to play. The more anonymous your gear, the easier it is to focus on your studies, rather than your bling.

5. BluesyCat

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    All good advice. Thank you for the warnings and sorry to hear about your losses. What the heck is wrong with people? It's insane.

6. Yea, maybe the better idea would be to get him the really nice gear as a graduation gift from Berklee instead, when he will hopefully be ready to put some good equipment to consistent professional use.