Calling all Bruce Foxton/Jam fans!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mattzink, Nov 11, 2002.

1. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hey everyone! I've been a huge fan of the English band The Jam since i was in junior high. Bruce Foxton, the bass player, was one of my key inspirations in picking up the bass. I'd like to hear from some Jam/Bruce Foxton fans.

Did Bruce Foxton do anything after the Jam broke up? I know that he and Rick Buckler are involved with some kind of lawsuit against Paul Weller (sad!)
    Are there any good books/magazine/online articles about B.F. or the Jam? Where can i find the Jam's entire catalog? (have had trouble finding "setting sons" on cd) Does anyone know of any cool Jam bootlegs about? Rare/live recordings?

Thanks for all your help. Be well and i hope there's at least a few fans of this underrated bassist out there.
  2. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey Matt..

I am also a big fan of the Jam, and I have been for many years. They are one of few bands I still listen to now and again.

The best box set to buy is "Direction, Reaction, Creation" which is their 5 CD boxed set. It has everything they ever put on a record, and multiple versions of some songs. I would also suggest getting "Snap" and "Live Jam" to have the complete collection, as Snap actually features some Jam songs in different versions, especially the great song "Start!"..

As for Bruce, he went on to tour with the Irish ska-punk band "Stiff Little Fingers" after his Jam days, filling in for the great Ali McMordie... Bruce had 2 solo albums as well, and recently (2001)released a record called "Touch Sensitive", which I have yet to buy.
  3. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    man, thanks for the info! i know "snap" is readily available at many places, but i've never bought it. the box set sounds like a great bet - esp. with christmas around the corner.

i've heard of stiff little fingers, but never actually listened to them. i'm going to check into them as well as i kind of dig ska now and again. thanks again for the valuable info! matt
    ps. have you ever listened to "dig the new breed"? it's the jam at their best live and in person.
  4. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    I am partial to 'all mod cons'.
  5. Pick up "Jam Extras" as well. While the boxed set is comprehensive, there's some fun stuff--particularly the covers--on the Extras CD that aren't included in the boxed set.

Also, the Live at the BBC has some great renditions on it. A bit pricy, but well worth it if you really like The Jam.

Anybody know if they ever put any of the old VHS/PAL concerts on DVD? I have Video Snap! on laserdisc, but wouldn't mind finding that on DVD, either.
    So, do you like The Style Council and Weller's solo stuff as well? There's a live version of "Move on Up" Weller does with The Style Council that has a phenomenal bass line.
  6. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    with the exception of "have you ever had it blue?" and "My ever changing moods", i have never really gotten into style council. who plays bass for style council? whoever he (she?) is is incredible. i'll give them that.

as for weller's other solo stuff, i've never really checked it out much.

i already have "extras". i also have "sound affects" (the album that got me going on the jam in the early '80s), "greatest hits", and one other i can't remember right now (it's early in the morning - i'm not thinking) i'm real familiar with "dig the new breed" and "setting sons", but do not yet own those two.

once i learned how to tune a bass, i remember working real hard to learn every song on "sound affects". in a sense, that did as much as anything to teach me how to play bass. i'll probably do something like that again real soon.

great to hear there's other jam fans out there.
  7. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey Matt!

Yea.. Dig the New Breed is truly fantastic. Their versions of Standards, Ghosts, IN the Crowd and That's Entertainment are my favs off that album. It's a great all around live album though, so it all rocks.

I have a bit of warmup I always do, and I always play Start! as a warmup before jamming or anything. Cool octaves which are great for a bit of practice.

I love playing Foxton's lines, because he was fairly innovative for a "punk" bass player. I have all their albums as well as the boxed set, but I dont own any of the BBC stuff, or Extras or any of that stuff. I did buy Live Jam and like it, but it's no where near as good as Dig the New Breed. Live Jam has a lot more songs on it, and some of the later stuff. It's cool to hear Down in the Tube Station live, as well as all the rest of the classic later stuff.

I agree with David Watts.. All Mod Cons is my favorite Jam album by far. Great bass playing on that album too.

If you really want to know all about the Jam and all their album releases, go to and type The Jam in the search box. It will give you plenty of info on them, as well as all their releases.

I recently saw Weller at this club in NYC. He was alone.. Just him and an acoustic guitar. He was awesome. I wasn't a huge Style Council fan, but I dug what he played that night.
  8. :confused:
    I've got "touch sensitive", and it's his solo album from 1984- unless it's a reissue you're referring to.
  9. Oi! I hate to be splitting hairs, but SLF is not an Irish band, they're from Derry/Londonderry (what you want to call the old, nice city has much to do with politics) in Northern Ireland, and thus British. Also, I wouldn't consider SLF to be "ska-punk" at all. They're as straight punk as it gets, in my book.
    Oh, and The Jam is a great band, and Bruce is a nice player. I really like "In the City" and "All Mod Cons". I also like The Style Council, even though they don't sound a bit like The Jam.