Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all car dudes (and dudettes).

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Apr 23, 2005.

1. So today we thought it'd be "maintenance day" on my bro's car. Well, him and my dad went to go get new oil and a filter and an air filter and change all that out while my friend and I pulled the spark plugs and checked them out...pulled the one in the third cylinder - oil all over it. Naturally we thought "bad oil control ring". Does that sound like what it might be? And if it is, does anyone know how much it costs to get it fixed (average/estimate)?

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What kind of car, what size engine?

3. '91 Toyota Camry. 4 banger. 2.0L

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    More likely a bad valve guide or valve stem seal. What kind
    of vehicle? How many miles?

Slug

5. I was thinking it could of also been that (came to mind after I posted this thread). See above post for car details. I'll see how many miles are on it when my brother gets back with it (went to get gas).

6. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    That's one of the engines where the plugs go way down in the cylinder head, right?

Was the whole plug soaked with oil (and probably the spark plug socket when you removed the plug), or just the part that threads into the cylinder head?

If it's the whole plug, the o-ring that seals the plug tube from the valve cover is bad. Cheap fix, too(and very common on 2.0 Toyota's).

7. Yea, the whole plug was soaked. So that is more than likely the reason for it? If so and it's a pretty cheap fix, cool.

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Here's a possible fix for this type of leak:

The spark plug tubes are removeable and can be resealed.
    Remove the valve cover, remove the large 32mm nuts on top of the tubes you can then get the valve cover off.
    The tubes thread into the head and can be removed with either an internal or external pipe wrench, once the tubes have been removed clean the threads on the tubes and in the head, get some silicon RTV sealer from the local autoparts store, make sure it is for high temp applications and apply to the threads that go into the head, reinstall them, put on a new valve cover gasket and you have fixed the oil leak.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Slug, obviously you've worked on more of those than I have.
    Thanks for the tip. You 'da man!

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    There's actually a tool now made to remove the spark plug tubes without pulling the valve covers. Buy the tool, remove the leaky tube, seal the threads with high-temp elephant snot, reinstall the tube, and hopefully that cures the problem.

Here's the info on the tool:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/asstoy150.html

Good Luck

Slug

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Easy man, you're gonna blow an o-ring!"

brad cook