Calling all College Student Activists..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just got elected to the student government of my Polytech. Looks like my responsibility field is going to be International Affairs - I guess it's ok to TB at the office.. :D

Anyways, it means I'll be having my very first work-related cellphone, paid by the student organization.

Any other active students around? Any good tips?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Active students? hahaha surely you kid?
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well obviously I didn't ment active in their studies, duh :p
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Our SU is too hell bent on a Nestle ban, the BNP, and American Politics.

a) What?! i LIKE kitkats, and if i dont want to eat them on personal moral grounds i won't! I dont need my students union making moral decisions for me. Im perfectly capable of doing that myself. People have been complaining about Nestle's practices in Africa since 1957.

b) "Get the BNP out of our union;" "The BNP are fascists;" "The BNP practice hatred and are 'un-British'" Three of the reductive comments yelled at me just this week outside out student union. To "get the BNP out of our union" is to make a complete mockery of democracy and open debate. They're a valid political party, whose voice should be allowed to be heard. Just because their vehment racists dont make their opinions and less worthy.

at this point, i'd just like to make it really clear that i DO NOT support the BNP or any discrimination on racial grounds in any way at all, and yes, i did vote against their inclusion in our union

d) Are we Americans? No. Do we have an American vote? No. Can we affect Amercan politics in any way what so ever? No. So WHY has my union spent 56% of its budget on organising anti-bush rallys, hiring busses to go and wave placards at him in London when the building is falling down?

This is a sore subject.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It seems to me there are very different ideas behind a SU between our two countries.

Around here, in higher education -level schools, SU's are strictly business and take care of all kinds of student-related matters which the school does, everything from student services like bookstores to general school marketing and organizing student events. Participating in politics is limited to study-related matters and is done via the roof-top organization of all Finnish Polytechs.

The organization is independent from the school and very capable, runs a six-figure annual budget, has some hired personnel and runs certain matters on behalf of the school, as a sort of a sub-contractor if you will.

Also the government members aren't that young; the average age is somewhere around 25, so they have some idea how the organisation should be run in more professional manner - this might be one of the reasons why the SU is focusing to take care of it's own matters instead of meddling with trendy political issues - we have all kinds of political youth organizations for that ;)

I'm actually the youngest member of the gov at 22, so it's quite a honor for me. I expect it's going to be quite a ride, teaching a lot, which is why I'm so excited about being elected :bassist:
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Carry your cell-phone in your pocket: belt clips are tacky.

So were they voted into the union by people who supported them, or was it just people who believed 'sure, whatever, let 'em have their say"? The former is frightening, the latter is dangerous but less frightening. I have heard about some hate groups that have dissolved because of a general lack of interest in what they were doing: no one showed up enraged at their demonstration, people just didn't care what they had to say and ignored them. Eventually they fell apart.

Apathy isn't really the best way to confront hate groups, but in some instances it works.