Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all DC Bands... NYC bassist needs a favor!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Nov 5, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Hello Hello my TB brethren,

I need a favor that can result in payment in beer!!! My band haVe Blue is playing a gig (just booked it today) at the Grog and Tankard in DC this Wednesday!! It'll be our first DC show and a needed trip out of the city.

The hitch is that we need to secure a DRUM kit. Our boy has the hardware but not the tubs. So if you guys have ANY info about some locals who are generous with their kits, haVe Blue would be deeply appreciative.

Thanks again and rock on.

P.S. Anybody want to check out my new T-funk, Bagend rig in action, COME ON OUT!!!

Wednesday the 9th (this coming wednesday) at 8pm - The Grog and Tankard $6 at the door.

Thanks,

Michael

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Damn man - My band is quite familiar with the Grog and I'd bet my drummer would help you out, but we're in studio this week and, well, will be kinda using the stuff =0)

But good luck to ya! *realizing this post is not helpful* =0(

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for the well wishing, and good luck to you in studio. Since we're playing there for the first time, do you have any advice concerning the venue? Sound tricks? How to get a good draw in the Georgetown area?

Really any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

michael

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The Grog's been hosting local talent since before time.

You can almost certainly secure a kit on a rental basis from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center.

www.chucklevins.com

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

Welllll...... The Grog ain't winning any awards for being even remotely decent in the sound arena. But it'll do.

Parking is nigh-on impossible too... go up Wisconsin, I guess it is, from G-Town and Grog will be on the left a couple miles up - make a U-turn just beyond the Grog at the liquor store parking lot and go back down to load in. Then make another U-turn to go back up the street and either make a right at the light and hope for parking down that street, or bust a left and go through the liquor store lot and then make a left to park along that street. After business hours, the liquor store lot and bank lot behind it should be fine for parking (but who arrives to the gig after 9-whatever PM, for example?)

As for a draw - well, during the week it's HARD - even if you gigspam all yer friends you're coming away with maybe $50 for the whole band if you haven't negotiated better than standard with Collin.

Good luck!!! Still a fun gig if you've got people comin' out to see.

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Thanks again Dave.

Any money we make is going right back in the gas tank.

And if you're up for a show this wednesday, you know where to find us! 8pm.

~Michael

7. The set up there kind of blows. It's a long rectangular space and instead of having the stage at either end, it's right in the middle of one of the long sides. So, you are facing the opposing wall which is probably 15 feet from the front of the stage. You get massive reflection off that wall. The good news is Colin (booking/sound) knows the room and does a good job considering what he's working with.

They will make you pay their $6 per tap beer rate....maybe minus a buck. Ridiculous. You can't make any money there but it's a place to get DC exposure.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's one small step above "pay to play". :meh: But hey, I've done it ... sure beats not playing. Best of luck down here, I sure wish I could make it!!