1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

calling all digitech whammy owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tumpinjahosafat, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    so i got this pedal about a month ago and im starting to question if i should keep it. When i engage the thing its breaking up my signal, albiet not to much but its more than i want. I want it to be clean and clear. Is anyone else having this problem, i figure its because its for guitar, so then i checked out the bass version but its nowhere to be found and if it is im not shellin out 400 bones. So anyone else have these problems? just curious.

2. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    What do you mean breaking up your signal? Do you mean that your bass is "cutting out" or is it warping the sound in some way? I use one regulary, somtimes when I play chords it makes a weird alien/chrous-y type noise....

3. MarchingPig

MarchingPig

Jan 16, 2007
    Norway
    If it´s a Digitech Whammy IV, it´s not only for guitar.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    With mine I find you can't get a great clear clean sound from it and it tends to get confused & warble sometimes. It's the nature of the beast.

I hear the HOG/POG is way better in tracking and a truer clear sound?

5. The HOG does track better and is much smoother with chords from what I've heard... but it's like $480 and to make it whammy like you have to buy the expression pedal separately from what I understand. It also takes up a lot more real estate on the pedalboard board.

I think I'll be sticking with my Whammy IV, and it's sometimes weirdness with chords... I think it's cool.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Give it a good strong signal. Use a drive pedal or dime your bass volume. It will track better.

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I never had problems with my Whammy 4 and I play relatively high output passive basses.

8. Thats probably why its fine... I was using my Whammy last night with my Fender P Bass. It was warbling and breaking up more than usual... Thats when I realised my switch on my bass was flicked to passive output rather than active. When I changed back to active it worked much better.

As stated before, the Whammy likes the hotter signal and a bit of a warble on chords etc is just the nature of the beast.

9. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    +1 on using basses with hot pickups or active electronics.

I've also noticed a little distortion after the whammy pedal does seem to cover a lot of the warble.

10. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    The Whammy also seems to perform better near or at the front of the pedal chain. The further back it is the weaker the signal is when it gets to the whammy, and therefore performs more poorly than it does near the front.

11. +1 Whammy into distortion works really well. The Whammy on its own sounds kinda poxy IMO anyway :smug:

12. Yup, always make it the first or second pedal in your chain.