Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all Dingwall owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xrob, Jul 17, 2005.

1. xrob

xrob

Feb 12, 2003
    Northern VA
    Hi all,

I'm trying to solicit as many opinions on this as possible, so you'll probably be seeing this question on a few other forums, so thanks in advance for your patience.

I am currently playing a 2001 Afterburner I (according to Sheldon, the 2nd one made) and I can't tell you how much I enjoy this bass.

Yet, after looking at nothing but Dingwalls these past few weeks, I find the need to upgrade and try something a little higher up the chain.

I'm looking at either a Z1 or Z2 (don't think I can afford a Prima) and wanted to know the differences in tone between the two. I know about the pickup placement, but is there anything else that the PLAYERS would notice? I'm most likely not going to be able to play one before ordering, so I wanted to get as much info as possible. I'm going to be talking to both Sheldon & Barry, but wanted to hear from the owners too.

From first glance, I was thinking about the Z2, primarily because my main finger position is right where the neck meets the body.

Any and all suggestions/opinions/input would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob
    -----
    do you FU?
    drfu.com
    -----

2. The Afterburners are great basses, there's no doubt about that.

I've owned a couple of Primas and a Z2. I wouldn' really know how to comment about the differences in tone between them and an Afterburner. Between the Z2 and Prima I found there to be a difference in mids, the Prima having more as compared to the ash bodied Z2.

I'll leave tone comparisons between the ABs an the Z and Prima series basses to someone who's owned both. If there is someone like that.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    While we're calling to the Dingwall peeps, I would like to know what you all think about the ABII and what the tone is like, that is if it compares to any other bass builder on the market. I've never been fortunate enough to see a Dingwall in person, but I must say, they're a top my list of GAS basses right now, and there's something about that Bubinga bass that grabs me.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you allow me...

My main question (in fact a couple of 2 related questions) about Dingwalls is :

- Is it easy to get used to the fanned frets ?
    - When you get used to them, is it easy to switch from a Dingwall to another "normal" bass ?

Many thanks
    JL

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Rob,

I wish I could help, but I have no experience at all with the Z-series. I would suggest if you didnt know about it, to check out the Super J's as well that are new.

Haltooth,

I wouldnt know what else to compare it too. I actually havent played an AB-II, but mine blows people away all the time and its passive. Adding an active EQ could only help IMO and give you more options. You can hear sound clips of mine in the link in my Sig if you like.

Jean,

Yes, in about 5 minutes you wont notice them much. And yes, its not that difficult going back and forth, as long as your comfortable with both basses in the first place. Like your current bass you know really well, and a Dingwall after you've played on it a while.

6. Okay I'll see what i can do....
    I've played older Abs (2001 model-0042) and a new Ab- the major difference was the pickups (Barts vs FD --huge difference there) as well as the neck construction- slightly noticable difference.
    I was also lucky enough to play a vodoo bass (I believe these were older Z1-had a cellohip). Anyway I believe the major difference was more complex tone. The higher priced Dingwalls had more going on w/ the tone; more mids, more dynamics.They also had active preamps-which allowed for more manipulation of the tone. Thats about what i remember
    Whats great about an AB bass is you get 2/3 of the Dingwall tone for less than 1/2 of the high price Dingwall bass. I've not played an ABII.
    As for which z1 or 2 is whats your looking for...wow...what a great dilemma to be in

As for gettin used to playing fanned frets, consider it will take you.....about the time it takes you to read this thread, under 5 mins. Until Sheldon built my SuperJ, I rountinely played a ABI fretless (37" scale, and swapped over to a Fender Urge bass (32" scale standard frets). It was NO big deal.
    In regards to "B" sting (sinces thats really the reason why you buy a 5 string bass), I've not found another bass in the same pricepoint as an Ab w/such a musical, articulate, playable B.

7. I totally agree with Frank on this one. You can get used to Fanned Frets in no time. My buddy Nateo came with me to the Dingwall shop last week. He tried a Super J and he just sat down and started playing it. He was pretty amazed. I think he said that it was easier at first that he didn't really look down at the fretboard. Needless to say he was surprised that it is actually very easy to get used to a Novax board.