Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all Do-it yourselfers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Funkster, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all do-it yourselfers,
    a friend of mine acquired this 1978 JBass in a box, He has asked me to see if I can put it back together for him.
    I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I do all my own set-ups change pup's, Pot's etc. I just never put one together from scratch. When I say it's in the box I mean in the box. The person he got it from took it completely apart.
    I'm looking for any tips advice to get started like what should I start with? I was thinking electronics
    Is there a way to tell the back pup from the front pup? The hardware is beat can I get a Jbass hardware kit from Stew Mac? . I took a pic below of the thing on my workbench just so you get the idea of what I'm up against. Thanks in advance for all your tips & help.
    I figure this will be a great experience for me.

[​IMG]

2. I usually build up the body first, (electronics, bridge, pickguard) then build the neck and lastly install the neck.

Most older Jazz basses have 2 different sized pickups, the shorter one goes in the neck position.

Stew mac is good for parts.

here is another supplier.

http://www.guitarlab.net/23/cat23.htm?144

and another

http://www.dguitarparts.com/

3. Looks like you got 2 of nearly everything there!

Some other observations:
    1. The front pup cavity has been modified somewhere along the line - wonder what for?
    2. It's hard to tell from the pic but am I seeing one of the Fender Microtune bridges - the bottom one? Those things are real touchy. I had one once and never really decided if I liked it or not. It was nice and heavy and it worked well but I don't know if it really was much of a help.
    3. This is going out on a limb here and if I'm wrong, it wouldn't surprise me but I don't think that Fender ever offered a block inlay bass neck with a bullet truss rod nut at the headstock. Again, I might be all wet especially since they started manufacturing in a lot of other countries
    4. I don't know for sure if the bridges will fit under the cover like stock. I don't think they will.

Gallient has the right idea with the order of assembly. It's tough to wire a bass through the strings :)

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yes thank you Ham and GK I have got her together and she is pretty sweet. Somethings up with the pups but I'll dig into that problem this weekend. She plays awesome and the acoustic tone is nice and rich, I'm gonna hate to give it back once I get in full working order. :D I'll show pics when I get them.