Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all Eden junkies! WT400 or VT.40?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, May 28, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have heard about the VT.40 by Eden, but never had a chance to hear or see one. The thing that intrigues me about the thing is that I hear the preamp is designed by James Demeter. How does the thing sound? How does it compare to the Wt400? Which of the two would you rather have? Any information would be helpful. If anyone has a pic of the VT.40 , that would be great.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I have a wt-400 and tried a vt .40 years ago
    if i ever found a good deal on a used one i would buy it
    only negative thing i have heard about the vt series is they had a tendency to overheat, also the eq is less flexible on the vt but the tone is right on
    A lot of times i run my demeter preamp into the effects return of my wt-400 so i can use the eq and power section................:D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want a WT-550. So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the sheep.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Had a vt.40 for a few years before trading it away, and I still play it weekly during a blues jam. Great amp, as IvanMike says, a bit limited on tonal variations, but what it does it does well. Mine was very reliable and road worthy... tended to get hot, but I just blew a small portable fan across the heat sink and never had problems with overheating. the only issue was with a trim pot inside moving out of optimal position causing some low-level funky distortion at all playing levels. Had an electronics-whiz friend of mine put it on a scope and tweak it and it was fine...

Never tried the WT400, but I can only imagine that it's an improvement on an already solid amp...

FWIW
    -robert

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can't comment on the WT-400 (other than that it's a nice small amp), but I had a VT-.40 for years, and I sold it about 2 years ago. It was a good amp, and when I purchased it about 8 years ago, I chose it over an SM-400, and the Alembic and ADA pre's.

One thing I'll say... it's loud. It has that Eden 'honk' which I've grown to dislike in general (for fretted basses), i.e. has a prominent mid-range bump. I much prefer the sound of the Kern preamp that I use now. However, for fretless, the VT-.40 sounded very good. You're right about the EQ: very subtle. And the pre-amp overall was "designed" by James Demeter, but it's not *really* the same as a Demeter pre.

FYI, I never experienced any heating problems with the VT-.40.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I had a VT.40. It was OK, but nothing to get excited about. EQ was very lacking. They've been known to have some reliability problems. If you have to go Eden get the new WT-550, but if you want to get something good, get the Euphonic Audio iAmp.:bassist: