calling all Fender aficionados

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A.Scovanner, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Recently bought 2 precisions, a '79 and a '67 and I have a couple questions for the 'experts' out there...

The '79 of course doesn't have a thumb rest, but I would like one on top for when I play it. What colour thumb rest would be appropriate for a sienna burst/maple bass with the W/B/W pickguard? It's a perfect mint bass otherwise, so if I were to have a thumb rest installed on it would I seriously compromise the potential value of it in years to come?

The '67 has the original guard, not cracked, but slightly warped to the point where the shielding is exposed around the edges. I'm hesitant to trim the shielding given the instrument is all original, so does anyone have a recommendation as to where to get a proper replacement pickguard (and leave the original as it is...in a safe deposit box with an all-hours armed guard watching over:D)?

Thanks in advance for response!

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    the usual thumbrest color for the date will be black, at least that's what's on every late 70s p ive ever seen, except for those green burst things.

The original PG.. well, if you do remove it screw it in another body because it will shrink and deformed if left by itself.

You should be able to get a replacement anywhere, just remember there are many different shades of tortoise and buying online can lead to surpises.

3. I would leave everything as it is
    The thumb rest, you can use a pickup OR try some double sided tape and a thumbrest
    for the pickguard, just leave it. I wouldn't ever do anything to alter the value of a classic like the two you have, as they will just continue to appreciate in value

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    If it's the original guard it should be already drilled on top for the thumbrest, which was black or very very dark brown depending on the batch. If it's not drilled, it's a repro guard. they all had the rests until '81-ish. It should also already be drilled for the pickup cover.

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    ↑ Listen to this guy.

6. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    Yep, sienna burst didn't come in until '81, which would fit with the white guard.

Personally I'd leave it as it is.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Leave the '67 alone! People have come to expect the shield plate edges exposed because the vinyl tort shrinks. Don't trim it, and if you remove the guard, it will continue shrinking funny even if you do screw it to a board (it will especially shrink more if it's not screwed to a board). And one day when you try putting it back on, quite a few holes will no longer line up.

The 79 would use a black plastic thumbrest. The proper vintage ones actually glow a dark reddish-brown when you hold them up to the sun.

8. Thanks to all for replies:bassist:

Here's what I've got: While the SN S9088xx suggests late '70's vintage, the "'79" has no holes drilled for thumb rest underneath 3-ply w/b/w guard, the guard has "02 79" in red block numbers stamped on the back (not sure if this means Feb. '79 or not), but the pots date to Nov. '81 (1378111), and finally, inside the pickup cavity resides a sticker with printed graphics "Fender Serial Number" and stamped black ink "11 02 82" . Indeed, I could (should) have done more due diligence before purchasing... and while I got a pristine instrument for what would still be an arguably fair price, perhaps it was misrepresented... I believe I already know the answer to this, but while the neck and perhaps pickguard were produced in '79, the final assembly occured in '82, so it's properly an '82 bass, yes?

Re. '67, it's really a '67 (WHEW!) and I'll be leaving the pickguard alone...

9. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, 82.

11. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    A lot of basses made in the early eighties had '78 or '79 serial numbers. It does not mean you got ripped off, though... the International Colors (IMHO) were a lot nicer selection than what was available in '79.

12. tinjenbass

tinjenbass

Jun 13, 2006
    Berea OH
    Endorsing Artist:Dean Guitars
    I have an original '76 and there should be holes for the thumb rest drilled like so in your bass 0825092104-1.jpg I cropped out the thumb rest so you can see how it would have been installed... 0825092104-1-1.jpg Hope that helps

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If you MUST have a thumb rest, you can do it without drilling into the body of your bass. Get a repro pickguard, and GLUE a thumb rest to it. Superglue is your friend. That said, the thumb rests were always placed to far "north" on the bass for me. I would not glue anything to your existing pickguard. Buy an aftermarket one, and don't drill any holes in the body! The the silly money these basses are fetching today, I vote leave it alone.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    pics of these beasts? :bag:

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yes. You got hosed by the S8/9 serial number overflow. Happens a lot.

This is the body of my 78, IIRC the pickups are dated mid to late 78 so it's close to what a 79 should be. Definitely has a thumbrest, and the only missing part on this bass was the front metal pickup cover, so I have no reason to believe it was added later.

[​IMG]

16. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 to letting them be as is. I also have a S/N s9xxxx with pots that date to 81 and 82 and a neck stamped Sept. 82.

This seems to happen often. Since I've done the digging, I always look at any 78 to 80 S/N with sideways glance. The neck stamp is the real date.

Having said that, mine's all original and i won't be sticking new stuff on it...

View attachment Dsc00927.BMP

Congrats on your basses!!

Randy

17. Thanks all for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I'm likin' the idea of a repro guard w/ glue-on rest for the '79.

Randy- cool blue on yours! And thanks for the congrats

Re. pics, Spinal Tapper, these are the best I can do at the moment (yanked from the ads where I found these online), no pics of my own yet.

1967: case is funky, def. orig. Fender(I'd know one anywhere after growing up with my Dad's '74 P fretless in the house), neck rest sits too far forward, but felt & wood don't look like they've been messed with, either...:confused: Otherwise all good... under the watchful eye of a respected area bass player/fixer getting a gentle set-up and new set of Fender flats
    [​IMG]
    "1979": not wearing the covers presently, taking it for set-up and new set of half-rounds after the '67 comes home...
    [​IMG]

18. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    That one is gorgeous! I have a Gold Elite I that looks very similar... I could stare at that bass all day! :)

19. Richard G

Richard G Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    i bought my in around 1986 changed the pickguard to black and the pick up covers..it originally had a plain white pickguard and pick up covers which i still have...i dont use it much, and im gonna change the pickguard to a white perloid type....i fell in love with the color when i bought it!

Attached Files:

20. Richard, the black is cool -- that's a sharp colour combo! now you've got me thinking.... yeah, I'm really diggin the colour of the bass, too. one of my 55-94's is cherry sunburst which I love, and this is quite similar....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021