1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling all Fender experts!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Oct 31, 2006.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
  2. the natural one is a late 70's jazz and the blue one is a mim 5 string

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

4. Just curious, how do you tell it's a MIM?

5. I don't think Fender offered an Agave Blue finish on Amercan/Japanese basses.

6. My respect to you and anyone else how remembers what colours was and is available on the MIA's, MIJ's and MIM's.

7. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    currently they only offer MIM in that color, but they could have offered a MIA in that color, it would have to be more than 2 years old. which is very possible as well.

8. And maybe, just maybe, it could have been refinished?

9. A producer at a studio I was at once had an MIM J5 just like that, so I'd go with what everyone else is saying.

With regards the refinsh thing; I don't mean to put anyone out as this is only my opinion, but if you were going to get your Jazz refinished in any colour in the world at all, would you get an Agave Blue finish? I know I wouldn't.

10. look at the headstock on that bass and then look at the headstock of a mia jazz 5. then youll know how;)

11. I'm less convinced about the 70's natural bound neck. It certainly looks like a 70's but isn't there an ash reissue? The decal on that one looks 70's too (big and black) but you never really know I guess.

I disagree on the Agave Blue I assembled one with a blonde bound neck and it was beautiful I think it's a cool (albiet nontraditional) color.

12. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    yes there is a reissue (i own one) but it has black blocks. plus the wear on the thing makes me almost positive its a vintage axe.

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    This is a guess on my part but bound neck with blocks and a bullet truss rod says 75 to 80 jazz. On the five trussrod adjustment at the headstock MIM trussrod adjustmet at the heel USA. String through bridge MIM string through body USA.

14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City

+1

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021