Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all former or present GC employees!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hateater, Nov 18, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have an interview in a little while for Guitar Center, and I was told that I really need to know my gear, and that they will be asking me questions. Can someone give me a clue on what they will be asking? Thanks!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    GC doesn't care if you know the gear, they want to know if you can sell it. They will attempt to train you on the gear.

Here's a few catch phrases for your interview: say you will do whatever it takes. Ask who their top sales person is so you know who it is you have to beat. Indicate that you are looking to advance into leadership positions.

Say stuff like that in the interview, and you are as good as gold. Just prepare yourself to work your ass off and having your soul sucked out of you.:rolleyes:

3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Hmmm... those are all good things to say, but the manager and others let me know that I will essentially be quized on how much I know about bass and guitar gear...

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They do want to know that you arent clueless about gear.

Ex. 1 He said he was a cutomer looking for a new guitar. I asked him what artist he liked and he told me he liked Eric Clapton. I suggested the Fender Eric Clapton signature model. He asked how much one was and I guessed (they didnt really care that I didnt know the price) $1200. He said he didnt have that much so I then turned him over to a Strat.

Ex. 2 He asked me about the diffrences between single coils and humbuckers.

In Ex. 1 he wasnted to see that I could figure out what would excite the customer and at the same time be within his grasp.

In Ex. 2 he wanted to see that I could describe our products and their attributes.

This made up maybe 10% of the interview. More of it was me saying that I wanted to sell.

Peace
    Nick

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Use this advice, and you can land any sales job.

Q: Sales is what?
    A: Desire.

In ever transaction there is a Buyer and a Seller.
    You tell them you intend to be the "Seller"

If someone can't make up there mind, you have to
    find the "Objection" once you find that, by asking
    questions you can "Counter" the objection.

Example:The buyer would say: I dont know that is alot of money. There is your "Objection"You counter with, Pull a credit application out of your back pocket (always be prepared) and say fill
    this out, and we will get you on the 12 month
    payment plan.

Let's say the customer was looking at a mia strat
    and the objection is still money, and he does not want to fill out the credit app,cause of lack of credit history or bad credit history, in this case
    be carefull not to make him feel bad cause of the
    poor credit history, instead "Counter" with
    why dont you check out this tex-mex strat or
    Highway 1, alot of the same great features without
    the larger price tag.

These items are to be reffered as "Sales pitches"
    Tell them you have alot of Sales pitches
    such as:

Urgency
    Scarcity
    Value

Your goal on each sales is to gain the customers
    trust, and put his fear aside.And "Close" the sale.

Also you can use the phrase "Trial Close"
    example on the Strat sale again: You would ask:
    Who is the first person your going to show it off to ? or what's going to be your first gig with it ?

Chances are with just this info, you will get the job.
    :)

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Odd, GC never quized me about gear, ever. Their position was they wanted good people who could sell, not techies who didn't know how to talk to people. Oh well, each is different, I guess.