calling all funksters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blong1, Nov 15, 2000.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    hi all,
    i really want to start playing some funk music. when i say funk, i mean like some old school funk...sly and the family stone, parliment, know, ol' dirty funk. any suggestions on cds that will have a good variety of different artist that i can listen to with some phat, funky bass lines in it?
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I recommend the JB's Anthology. I can't think of anything else right now. (I guess that means I have to get some more CD's....)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have an album called "The Best Funk album in the world ......ever!". Just about every track on the double CD has a fantastic classic funk bass line. Certainly worth getting if you can find it.
  4. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Bruce, what record company makes the album. that may help in my search.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm..... not sure, but the number on the CD is VTDCD126
    7243 8 44255 2 4

...whatever that means!!

It says "Box music in conjunction with Virgin commercial marketing"
  6. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    cool, thanks for the replies guys. i found it on that "best funk..." on the net.

anybody else got any suggestions for some good funk??
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    James Brown box set
    earth, wind & fire box set
    sly and the family stone greatest hits
    pfunk greatest hits
  8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

So that's how they market commercial Virgins!!

Chris A.:rolleyes:

9. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    My one bit of advice on approaching funk as a novice would be to not put too much emphasis on your thumb. Too many people just start wailing away like madmen with their thumbs with no regard for what or when it's hitting. True funk is about time and soul and you'll find that the baddest bass lines on earth are about old fashioned things like note choice and rythmic value. You don't want to be one of those music store funkers who just knows a couple of slap tricks to play at music stores. Just remember to listen to a million James Brown tracks before you even think about the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
  10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Get a hold of some Slave, and some Skyy, both have a greatest hits CD out.

11. ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    Rhino has a great collection of funk classics called "In Yo' Face: The History of Funk" Volumes 1/2 thru 5. I highly recommend it.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I am disappointed, appalled, and aghast! ;) :D

No one has mentioned the East Bay grease gang???

You want funky? Get ANYTHING by Tower Of Power, Rocco Prestia is DA MAYHN for 16th note fingerstyle funk. The rhythm section of Prestia and Dave Garibaldi is a true funk powerhouse, easily in a class with the best James Brown duos.

Also overlooked have been Average White Band (extreeeeemely funky for a buncha white boys from Scotland), The Ohio Players (if you think that the Chili Peppers version of "Love Rollercoaster" is funky, you need HELP), The Commodores (yes "Brickhouse" is cheese, but it's the funkiest slice of Limburger you'll ever smell, and there is so much more to them), and The Brothers Johnson (Louis is great for stealing truly funky thumb stuff from). I'm sure I've overlooked some great stuff as well myself, and the stuff mentioned already is of course essential, 'specially Verdine White from EW&F.

Oh and remember this blong1: The funk is in the notes you DON'T play. That is the single most important thing to remember in funk. The simplest 1/8th note groove can be funky (see "Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone, Larry Graham makes ONE repeated Ab just STINK :D), and at the same time a 1/16th groove is made funky by what's left out or what's accented (see "What Is Hip" by Tower Of Power, Rocco is playing constant 1/16ths, but accenting in nasty places).

"...smell my finger..." :D
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Actually all of these are on the album I recommended - even "BrickHouse" which is one of my favourite funky basslines. Some of my other favs from "The Best Funk Album in the world ...ever" are:

Word Up
    Car Wash
    Shack Up
    Le Freak
    Tell me something Good
    Saturday Nite
    Get Down Tonight
    Pick Up the Pieces
    Do what you Wanna Do

etc etc.
  14. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    that "best funk..." album that i found has some of the songs that you mentioned, but not all of them. do you remember where you got your copy at? and i checked out those "in you face" series and they seem to be good also. thanks everybody for the replies.

[Edited by blong1 on 11-21-2000 at 12:50 PM]
  15. Bruce Lindfield

I got it at a small shop in the middle of Brighton - UK.
    I suspect it is a UK-only release. It's just such a comprehensive compilation of my favourite funk singles, that I just had to mention it.

But I would probably go with any of Gard's choices - I have the recent Tower of Power Live album and this has like a history of their best tracks and a lot of music for the money - it's probably a good introduction if you don't have any of their stuff already.