Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

calling all internet detectives

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    there is a company, or person, somewhere in europe, that has gotten a link to the nerve's message board (http://www.thenerve.org/talk_to_the_nerve.htm) and posts endless advertisements for different internet companies, ever single day. sometimes they're really lengthy and it's getting to be a real drag. like i have roaches or something. i have to delete them ever single day. i'm sick of it.

today i realized these people may be the culprits http://www.hiddenbrains.com/ , but i don't know. i sent them a lengthy email a few minutes ago. i've sent lots of emails to the individual companies that have advertised, but never got a response. i've deleted all of them except for the following: www.word-shopping.com, www.1-800-espresso.com, and www.sendflowerdelivery.com. they're just ones i've missed. not even sure if they're still active sites (the flower one I know is).

anyone have any suggestions for finding out who exactly is doing this? any suggestions on stopping it? thanks.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sounds like a pain in the arse....here's a bump for you

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think a lot of boards get spam, it doesn't appear that much could be done about it or all of the boards would do it. I think that your choices are to just delete it when it happens, ask people to ignore spam and just let it sink to the bottom, or I believe that you can trace the ISP address of the spammer and block it to stop them from posting - but you have to block the entire ISP and it blocks out a lot of people and not just the spammer. (and spammers have ways around that anyway) Deleting spam when it occurs is probably the best option. Maybe you could bestow the honor of moderating your bands message board on some lucky fan or borderline stalker groupie chick who would be happy to take out the daily trash?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or maybe you could boycott products from India...

brad cook

oh yeah... ;)

Had to do that before I get called racist or something.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

lmao.

good one Brad :D

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I would contact Paul. He must know something about this.

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Maybe some of this may help:

Whois search from www.networksolutions.com

Registrant:
    Jugal Kishore (HIDDENBRAINS-COM-DOM)
    Hidden Brains
    301, Sapphire Complex
    C.G.Road
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380006
    India
    +91 -79-31005763
    ejugal@rediffmail.com

Domain Name: HIDDENBRAINS.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Hidden Brains ejugal@rediffmail.com
    301, Sapphire Complex
    C.G.Road
    India
    +91 -79-31005763

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    Hidden Brains ejugal@rediffmail.com
    301, Sapphire Complex
    C.G.Road
    India
    +91 -79-31005763

Record last updated on 02-Mar-2004.
    Record expires on 03-Jul-2004.
    Record created on 03-Jul-2003.

Domain servers in listed order:

Name Server: ns1.gujaratvat.com
    Name Server: ns2.gujaratvat.com

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It would depend on your setup or your webhosters setup...but there is a way (depending on who is controlling the server) to get free DNS blacklists that will filter those out.

Contact your webhoster and see if they have the ability, or the option to provide blacklisting as a service to you.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this is true, can you see the ip's of the posters?

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You can stop all of the junk by either using a blacklisting service or creating your own blacklist.

Either you or your ISP/webhoster should be able to do that. ISP's and webhosters do not want all of their bandwidth sucked up by auto generated trash any more than you do. There is software that will combat it. I'd check with your webhoster first and see what options they have available to you.

If you know the offenders IP address, it may be a simple matter of adding it to your webhosters existing blacklist.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you can find their isp Im sure you can alert them that they are spamming you and hope they'll do something.

Ive heard thats what others do.

Peace
    Nick

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Time to SPAM this thread!

Check TB SPAM sig below