Calling all laptop users.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WookieeForLife, Jan 13, 2009.

  1. WookieeForLife

    WookieeForLife Guest

    Sep 30, 2008
    Anyone have a connection from your laptop to a tv as a monitor? Is there such a connection? Help?
  2. DudeistMonk

    DudeistMonk Guest

    Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    depends on what outputs your lappy has and what inputs your TV has.

    My laptop has a digital monitor out and my TV has an analog monitor with the right cable I can do it.

    Some also have S-video out/in
  3. TheDarkReaver

    TheDarkReaver Inactive

    Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    If you've got a hd laptop you can do it with hdmi as well, if you've got a hdtv with hdmi that is.
  4. WookieeForLife

    WookieeForLife Guest

    Sep 30, 2008
    i have the standard monitor out. My tv has rca inputs and an av jack in.
  5. jady


    Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Goto to best buy/walmart/radio shack and they should have a converter box. I still have one from my old tv, used to watch Divx movies on it.
  6. If the monitor out is DVI and the RCA jacks are component (Red, blue and green) you should be able to use something like this:

    Maybe not this particular adaptor. It says it will only work on compatible ATI graphics cards.

    Personally I use a cable with a DVI on one end and a HDMI on the other. To get audio I have an optical output on the sound card that goes to my receiver.
  7. DWBass

    DWBass The Funkfather

    Yes. Mine has a HDMI connection.
  8. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the laptop and the TV. My Macbook has a Mini-DVI out, my TV has a VGA in. I use a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a cable.
  9. Ampeg SVT

    Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

    Sep 9, 2006
    I've got HDMI and VGA on mine, i might try HDMI later on our plasma screen.
  10. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Surfing TB on a 50" plasma is sweet!

  11. vga cable is the name for it and your tv needs a vga in
  12. Yeah, it's an s-video cable. Your laptop either has it or it doesn't. It looks like a round port (like a ps-2(mouse/keyboard)), but bigger.
  13. dj150888

    dj150888 Guest

    Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Anything wrong with using an s-video/vga - rca/scart and just connecting them up?
  14. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Supporting Member

    You can buy an adapter to convert VGA to NTSC but the picture is not exactly pristine. I suggest buying a converter where you can return it if the picture doesn't meet your expectations.

    Audio is easy.
  15. VGA or HDMI are your only good options without spending a ton of money on converters and other stuff.

    S-Video is my opinion is garbage and useless.
  16. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Supporting Member

    If you use a converter to change VGA to NTSC, IMO you won't get quality as good as S-Video.

    Anything is POSSIBLE - but how good the picture will be depends on the connections available on each end. It would be good for the OP to do more homework online.
  17. Atoz

    Atoz Guest

    Dec 15, 2005
    Millcreek Township, UT
    +1. I'm doing it right now.
  18. WookieeForLife

    WookieeForLife Guest

    Sep 30, 2008
    i have a VGA out
  19. NJL


    Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, whatever - 1/32 of the screen is TB and the rest is pRon.
  20. benthughes

    benthughes Inactive

    Jun 26, 2005
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    If by " surf Talkbass" you mean.......