Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all Londoners! Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jan 14, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I have a job interview in central London on Monday afternoon. If I get the job, I will have to move to London within the next week or two. A friend has offered me the use of his sofabed until I get on my feet, but obviously I can't stay there forever. I'll need to start looking for a flat/house share as soon as I arrive.

Although I know central London fairly well (i.e. the City and legal district), I don't have much of a clue when it comes to the more "residential" areas. A few colleagues have recommended areas like Farringdon/Clerkenwell (trendy, but EXPENSIVE, it seems), Hampstead, Hackney and Clapham.

I'd be grateful for any comments or recommendations on renting in London. Any areas to avoid? Any decent areas that won't break the bank completely?
    Thanks,
    DB

2. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    avoid the enfield, ponders end, edmonton area. its where im living right now but i move in 2 weeks. not a fantastc place to live. recormendation would be to find out where your working and look for places that have easy travel links to that place. say your working near covent garden maybe live close to the picadilly line. good luck with the job and the move to the city.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd start from the point of where your job will be based. Follow the travel networks from there to get some ideas about location. If you save 15-20 minutes on each journey, that's going to quickly add up to a significant amount of time.

FWIW, I work at Lewisham Hospital and live a few minutes walk away. That makes it feasible to pop home, get changed, have a bite to eat and pick up my gear before heading out to a rehearsal, gig or other evening event. Contrasting that with other people I know, who have more ardous journeys, I think I win all round.

Wulf

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Temple station will be a 2min walk from the office. (District and Circle lines)

Chancery Lane and Embankment are 5mins away.

Between the three stations, I can use most lines.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the commute within 45mins - whether my budget will let me live that close is something I will have to investigate on Monday.

Thanks for the posts so far. Keep the recommendations and comments coming!

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    wherever you rent in central london will be extortionatly expensive.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Okay, that narrows down the commuting side of things a bit. You're working near various tube stations, which potentially opens out a massive area, but I'm assuming you might prefer not to be travelling all the way across town at peak times.

What are the other factors to consider? For example, do you want somewhere "in the thick of it" or somewhere a bit quieter?

Wulf

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i know it's a bit off topic, but i just found a lovely house in oman for £365,000. it has 10 bedrooms 13 bathrooms and a live in cook.

for that price in highbury you'd get a studio flat.

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Can anybody offer an opinion on the Old Street area?

Found a decent-sounding advert: double bedroom; sharing with 3 professionals; 5min walk from Old St Station; recently rennovated flat; £100 per week; all bills and council tax included. Sounds like the sort of flatshare I would be looking for.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think the commute from Oman would be a little bit on the long side though. Old Street probably wouldn't be too bad an area to live in. Lot's going on around there - I used to rehearse in studios a short distance away down Hackney Road. You'd also be relatively close to the Bass Centre.

However, I haven't lived there so I don't know what it's like as a resident.

Wulf

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    OK, so I'm not a Londoner, but I have some info:

Morden, Surrey (SW4 or SM4? - can't remember) - a nice little place at the south end of the Northern Line - looks like you can get a 1 or 2 BR flat in the area for under £1000/mo - and some accomodations for a lot cheaper.

This puts you at a 45 minute tube ride to Embankment/Charing Cross or a 20-minute train ride to Victoria Station.

AND...if you take the tube, you get to listen to the voice say: "Tooting Bec" and "Tooting Broadway". Cracked me up every time.

Happy Hunting.

DD

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    On those grounds, your only real choice is somewhere that will let you go through Turnham Green (towards the south west corner of the District line) ;)

Morden is quite a long way south - enough to give a significant hike in travel fares compared to somewhere like Clapham Common (a little further up the Northern line - quite a green area but lots of neat little clubs and bars round the area) or even nearer the middle of town. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend it on travel grounds, although it's a pleasant enough area in it's own right (I've got friends who live down there and most of the Elusive Teeth rehearsals take place in that neck of the woods).

Out of interest, are you thinking of running a car or relying entirely on public transport / taxis? The nearer you are to the middle of town, the more awkward a car will become!

Wulf

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    LOL! Never heard that one....

Yeah, forgot about the zone based fare scheme....Clapham's nice, too.

If I ever move to London to work, it's motorbike all the way!

DD

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The friend that I would be staying with lives a 5min drive from Morden (I can’t remember the name of the area that he lives in for the life of me). I have caught a train out there from Victoria at peak time and it was an awful journey – 40mins standing all the way. I can hack it for a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't like to have to do it long-term.

I have never learned to drive, so am wholly reliant on public transport. If I get the job, I suspect I will eventually be going on a call-out rota (giving legal advice at police stations): I don’t fancy trying to get in from Zone 6 in the small hours.

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Interview seemed to go well. Will get a decision from them at some point today.

Potentially starting on Monday for an 8-week assignment in central London (Southwark), followed a gap of 3 weeks, then an 8-week assignment back in Birmingham. After that, who knows?

Seems that I might need to find a short-let (8-10 weeks) flatshare soon. Would like to keep it within Zone 2. Killed some time yesterday by travelling to take a look at the Clapham Common, Old St, Angel and Farringdon areas. Seemed decent, but I'm aware that these areas are popular and that means ££££.

Anyone know of any decent resources for finding short-term accommodation? Picked up a copy of Loot before leaving London but there were very few short-term lets advertised.

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm not sure about short-term lets; when I was renting (up until 1998) assured shorthold tenancies (6 months starting period) were what I was looking at and I didn't cast my eye around for anything else.

Would your new job potentially leave you settled in one area or are you likely to bounce from location to location in the longer term?

Wulf

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Wulf,

This is the difficulty I will be in. Looking for an ongoing or medium term flat/flatshare doesn't seem to be viable at the moment - the work potentially on offer is on an "as needed" basis - it just so happens that they need someone to run two long trials between now and May. One of those will be 8weeks (possibly longer) back in Birmingham.

It doesn't seem affordable to rent a flat/room, leave it empty for 8 weeks in March/April, then return in May when I may have no work lined up.

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How about B+B options? I've got some friends locally who run a Bed & Breakfast place, with a couple of their rooms regularly rented out to people who work in London during the week (leaving them free for other visitors at weekends). It is going to be more expensive of renting a place directly but doesn't have such a tie in.

Wulf

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Well, I didn't get the job.

Thanks for all the advice. I am still actively looking for work in London - hopefully I will be able to find a long-term position that will make property-hunting much easier.

19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Update on the job hunt:

Had interviews at two companies in Central London on Tuesday. Had a call from one of them this evening saying that they have put an offer letter in the post. Would be starting on 5th April.

The second company will be giving me an answer on Tuesday.

Both jobs would be full-time, permanent positions. Woo-hoo!

Will be sleeping on my friend's sofa in Hackbridge (SW Zone 4) for a while until I can get a permanent flatshare sorted out.

London here I come! :bassist:

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    (BUMP)

Seeking opinions on the following areas (as potential places to live):
    Finchley Road/Swiss Cottage
    Bermondsey/London Bridge
    Greenwich
    Kentish Town