1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling all MetalHeads! What type of strings do you use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeavyFingers, May 12, 2006.

1. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    Greetings!

I have recently changed my genre style back to metal (back to my roots:bassist: !) after about a year long stint in a kinda jammy/pop/rock band. I finally got fed up with the guitarist thinking that he "owned the band" b/c of his position (big surprise, right? heh) and left....along with the drummer ;) .

Anyway, I've been playing with Ernie Ball Regular Nickle Roundwound's (its nickle wound over steel) on my Spector DLX 4-string. The strings have been pretty good so far for that "happy music sound" ie. good high mids and regular mids but when I dig down for that low E-vil...well, I get an E but not as dark or clear sounding as I would like. That being said, any suggestions out there? I have been thinking of getting a pair of DR Lo-Riders (nickle) due to all of the talk about them and would also not be too apposed to trying out a SS pair as I have yet to play on a set of those...

So MetalHeads, what strings have you guys been using to bring out the best of your E-vil?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I play metal, but i havent got around to getting new strings for a while

but im guessing wider guage ones will produce a darker sound

3. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Yo wassup dawg! The most evil tones I have achieved have been through as follows!!!

Stainless Steel Strings
    and Ground Rounds

The stainless steel strings were always ominous sounding in the newest stage where they were fresh!
    The ground rounds I have just started using. They sound.. ala Dillinger Escape Plan? When they were new they sounded more Steve Harris. Hope I was a help

4. Well, I am rather partial to D'addario Xl's, they sound great, stay fresh, and get a really cutting tone

5. I've found I like medium-gauge strings for my tone better than thicker gauge.

6. yeah go with roundwound stainless for that brooding e string tone or flats of any metal for that darker steve harris thump (try the signatures for some serious neck bending strings). also your amp/bass eq plays an equal part as the srtings too

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Back in my metal days, I was using LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels 45-105 and loved 'em!

8. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    DR High-Beams

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Haven't tried Hi-Beams, but I give a +1 to DR Lo-Riders!

They're currently my string of choice. A bit stiffer than your usual strings, but great deep tone.

10. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    My gear is as follows, for those interested:
    Spector Rebop DLX 4 string
    SWR T.O.P. (Tower of Power Model) that kicks ass at 750watts @ 4ohms - my eq, right now, is the standard "double arch" albiet nothing is really turned up more than 1/4 of the way
    Zoom B2 pedal for some cheap reverb, a little extra eq'ing and various effects
    and....the cab that I started with (and I'am now waiting for it to blow-up so I can replace it with an Avatar)...a Behringer BB410 cab :bawl: :scowl: :rollno: Anyone have any advice as to how I might get rid of that and maybe get a little cash back?

Back to the Strings:
    Seems like the overall concensus is that Round Wound Steels are the way to go for metal. Now that we got that much out of the way does anyone have an opinion on the guage of the strings? Would going heavy on a set of strings, say for instance, the DR Lo-Riders be tone overkill (not really trying to make mud here)? In my experience I've only played on regular guage strings, so I'm all ears in this department.

A few more questions:
    MysticBoo, do you play on the Nickle or Steel DR Lo-Riders?
    MetalGuy2 mentioned playing on GroundWounds - I've read up on these but have yet to find a company that sells em (looked around, but not too hard). Seems like they would be nice to reduce some noise from finger transitions and save my tips a bit more as well. Does anyone else have any experience with these?

Oh, and thanks for all of the feedback I've recieved so far!

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I used to use DR Lo Riders or D'Addario Chromes (flats) with great success. Back then I used to use a Precision or a Jazz so those strings really worked well for those basses.

12. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dean Markley Blue Steel 50-105 or DR Hi-Beam 50-105 is my preferred strings.

And D'Addario XL Roundwound 6 strings.

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Back in my HEAVY metal days, I used only Rotosounds... but they abused my frets to the point where I eventually had to have a fret job... prematurely IMO... and this was on a Ric 4001...

...then along came GHS SS roundwounds, and I never went back to Rotosounds...

...now, for the last year or so, I've been using DR Hi-Beams on my 4-string, and DR Fat-Beams on my 5-string... and I'm very satisfied with these, thus far.

I've always felt that metal required SS roundwounds... and they gotta be changed at least every 2 - 3 months... Both types of DRs have thus far given me my maximum time-frame of 3 months on a consistent basis...

14. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Currently GHS Bass Boomers, .45-.105.

Used some Warwick cheapos (red label) before, but I ain't going back to those. :meh:

15. My bass' are passive:

Boomers are good, but don't last long.
    DR FatBeams for a growly and slighlty scooped sound, less thumpy bottm.
    DA Chromes for old style thump, growl and cutting through, these are my main strings now (not sure what they sound like on an active bass).

16. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Does your spector have passive EMGs?

I use a 5 string DR Hi-Beams pack (125-45) on my 4 string, dropping the smallest string, on my ESP, and it pounds.

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I use D'Addario EXL 160-5s on a 4 string passive (P-Style PU), dropping the high string. When I run it into my ParaDriver set to SVT (from the manual), with the drive a little higher, I get the Coal Chamber type bass tone. Really deep and rumbly :D

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I use DR Bootzilla'z on my Spector. They sound great.

19. Ruddwijk

Ruddwijk

Apr 25, 2006
    elixirs..

20. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Well, DR lowriders have the most ominous, growliest bottom end of any string I've tried. At first, they're a little too bright, but after about a week, they settle in, so they still have the cutting steel sound, but they gain some more midrange warmth (i think it's actually just a perceived difference due to tamed treble), either way, the low-end growl has the clarity of the steel, but it has a bassy presence, as well. It's outrageously tight, punchy, thick, with a strong fundamental.. and all the rest of the sound of the strings have that powerful, punchy Steve Harris quality.. just perfect strings for your purposes.