1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling all Old 800RB Users!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Well i recently made a therad about the SVT350H vs the 800RB

Now the one im buying is from the 80's the oringal no reissue nothing.. all oringal..

question is should i be concerned about that? its been working in the shop/store for so long etc but can it ever die out and just stop working? or will it continue to work because i heard alot stories of these things being tough!!

falling down stairs,rained on, ran over by a car, it goes on and on.... any input would be awesome

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I can't tell you much except I would be concerned only about the condition of the capacitors. Some may need replacing as they are past their expected lifespan. I don't know how expensive that's likely to be. Probably not much. One of the electronics experts can advise you better on that. Other than that, if it's still working and not making any disturbing noises, I think you'll have a real winner. Those old GK's seem to go on forever.

I just saw an original 400 RB in a store that still is working perfectly. It looks like it's been through a war and you can barely recognize it as a GK, but it sure sounds like one. I used a 400 RB for 10 years or so, playing a lot and often pushing it hard and it kept on going. The new owner is still using it, so it's into its 15th year by now.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Over 20 years for both my 800RB and 400RB, both still work great, and I'm not very nice to my equipment.;)

4. Aval2ach

Aval2ach

Jul 14, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    I had an 20-year old 400RB.
    It's still working, used by new owner as his main amp.

5. thanks alot guys for the great posts there will be a picture included in this post!

im thinking the 400RB as well same year cira mid to late 80's

Attached Files:

6. I bought I GK amp in 90 and sold it in 95 to a friend who still gigs the amp today. 16 years and counting - they are TANKS!

7. thanks for the input agrea.. sounds great

no, im not getting caught up in the not enough watts game..

but the 400RB at 200 watts at 4ohms is that loud enough for medium sized shows, ?

8. BRING
    UP
    MY
    PAGE

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It was for me. I used 2 1-15 cabinets from Yorkville Sound. Took one to small clubs and 2 for big rooms. The only time I was on the edge was on outdoor gigs, where I had PA support but still needed a lot of volume as a stage monitor.

Efficient cabinets are the key. The Yorkville's I used were quite efficient and had a good sound, especially considering thie low cost and reasonable weight.

10. thanks 62' bass.. im going to get this GK 800RB with one of those legion cabinets that joe geezer informed everyone about.. i can always upgrade.. but i dont feel guilty cause the legion cabs are good either the 2x12 or the 2x10 cabinet the 2x12 is 4 ohms the 2x10 is 8ohms but still it will be LOUD

11. Bump.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You'll have plenty of power and can upgrade cabinets if you need to. Sounds like a good choice.

13. thanks for the support ^