Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all paintballers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick man, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just got my first marker and I was wondering what the proper way to store a marker is.

Should I take off the tank?

What needs to be cleaned?

Any tips of preserving the condition of the marker?

Any other tips?

Its a Spyder 2000 (not the Compact 2000)for all of those wondering.

Peace
    Thor

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"It's gripped - sorted!!"

:D

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn! I was about to comment on how quickly my question was answered when I saw I had a reply and then I come and see some sense jabber which means absolutely nothing to me.

Thanks alot !@$#%$#^%!

J/K of course. ;)

Peace
    Nick

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Bacon?..... I mean bump.

Peace
    Thor

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I used to play Pro-Amatuer paintball, in the NPPL and world cup. Now that is all in the past :bawl: .... I'll try my best to help ya out.

My best advice to you is

Should I take off the tank? What type of air system are you running first of all? If it's compressed air (carbon fiber wrapped tank), leave the gun gassed up 3-4 days to let all the seals go into place. If you are using CO2, upgrade to compressed air (fiber wrapped tank) 68 cubicinch 3000 psi would work. CO2 really does the gun harm.

What needs to be cleaned?
    This goes under the saying don't fix it if it ain't broken. The best for your marker is some sort of oil that doesn't eat orings. Put 3-6 drops of it in the asa adapter, then screw in the tank. Afterwards proceed to fire 15-25 shots WITHOUT the barrel on and make sure the marker isn't loaded with paint! This will help your gun opperate and keep all the required parts oiled well, do this every 3 times you go to practice or use your gun with paint.

Any tips of preserving the condition of the marker? Read the manual, pay attention on how the bolt comes out from the gun and how you can remove it, because eventually we all break paint in the gun.

Any other questions I'll be happy to answer them.

6. Interesting post, BM2000...

Nick/Thor, you can, quite obviously, take whatever advice you choose in regard to the care and upkeep of your newly acquired marker. While I've never played tournament level Paintball, I've been into the sport for a good number of years and was quite obsessed with it at one point. To the credit of my opinion on this subject, I have never had more than minor difficulty with any of the markers I have owned, including two Stingray I markers, notorius for unreliable and generally poor operation in stock form (which they were).

As far as keeping the bottle on the 'gun, it's a good idea to leave it on for a few days initially to seal the O-rings, as BM2k said. After that, however, you'll want to remove it when putting the marker away. First, it's wildly difficult (and dangerous) to properly clean a marker while pressurized. Second, leaving a marker pressurized for prolonged periods is asking for O-ring failure followed by the efficient and potentially frightening (though dangerous only if you've left paint in the marker as well) expulsion of the bottle's contents into whatever happens to share close proximity to your marker. As far as upgrading to compressed air, that, also, was a good point mentioned by BM2k, though you may want to consider nitrogen also.

That said, my maintenance routine consists of a full breakdown, cleaning, lube, and O-ring check before use if it's been more than a few weeks since I last used the marker. On the field, you'll want to keep a squeegee handy (I prefer the TASO possum tail or similar so the barrel doesn't need removing) for the occasional broken ball (ouch!). When I break paint during a game, I'll do a quick squeegee on the field and another, more thorough cleaning with the barrel removed, between games. Finally, when I've finished for the day, I do the whole dissasemble, clean out paint and old lube, relube, reassemble thing (I reccommend at least this step! If you neglect all other maintenance, this is what will keep your 'gun working for as long as you own it!).

You can find detailed instructions for cleaning, dissasembling, upgrading, painting, mutating, and otherwise enjoying your new purchase all over the 'Net. Paintball newsgroups were a great source of information for me when I first started out in the sport and there are at least 3 Spyder Owner's Groups out there, waiting just a Google search away.

Oh, and, welcome to the sport!

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks for the replies.

Im enjoying the sport more and more each day, and though I doubt it will take the place of bass in my life, it will definetly becoeme one of my favorite activities.

Peace
    Thor

8. paintball used to be my life. then i sold my stuff.

i dont have the money. right now. i am going to get back into it, but you need something called money, which i dont have a lot of.

im into airsoft right now. much more accessable in terms of money, and a lot more people around here play it....my friends and such.

so yeah.

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Isn't that usually more connected to offroading? :D

I was going to go paintballing a few weeks ago for my friend's birthday, but I didn't have the money (I can't say no to new strings). In truth though, I was always a bit paranoid about it after Ant (or maybe Dec) got blinded by a paintball in Byker Grove.

Let's see if anyone picks up on THAT obscure British television reference...

10. Bruce Lindfield

But there are some where they are in the woods, doing paintballing and Lindsey (sp?) can't resist shooting his companion, every time he turns round!! ;)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It was Ant.

12. Bruce Lindfield

You win the prize of 'anorak of obscure children's TV programmes'!! ;)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :D

Byker Grove isn't obscure, though. If you're my age, at least.