Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all photoshop/art people, help with band logo/insignia...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Alright, here's the skinny. My band is starting to play more and more shows and people ask about merchandise so we've decided we want to make some pins and/or patches. The only problem with that is what to put on them as we have no logo. We've actually tried many designs, all to no avail. So now I ask you guys to help with a logo/insignia that can be put on any merchandise, cds, our website, etc. As far as what we're looking for, we want something fairly simple, possible cursivey looking, and.....thats about it. Our website is here if you want to get a feel for the band. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Whatever you decide on, remember that color and shape will give a feel of what you are trying to convey.

No matter what the name is, you wouldn't want big, pink, balloon-like letters for a heavy, death metal band for instance.

By the same token, you would not want chrome letters that have sharp edges for a mellow lounge type act.

Get it? You want your logo to visually give the impression of the type of band you are without them even reading the name.

Try designing your logo without putting the actual letters of your band name in it. Show it to people and ask them what kind of impression it gives them.

Hope that helps some.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If you give me some more info on your band I.E style of music, kind of look you want, ect. I would be happy to do up a few sketches of some ideas and such, PM me if your ever interested.

BB

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The only really useful advice I can give you without knowing more is this:

Design your logo using only one color — black. My reason for this is simply that if the logo looks good and works well in black, you can make it any color(s) you want and it'll look great.

Design your logo so that all of the elements fit with the emotion and feel you're trying to convey. Remember that, often, the first impression people will get of whatever business venture (whether it's a band or a million dollar corporate enterprise) is your logo, and so a lot of responsibility falls onto that logo to get whatever you're trying to convey across as quickly and simply as possible. Given all that, take particular care in choosing the typeface you're going to use for your logo, as well as the coloring you'll use in the end result.

5. buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    How come you're bumping, but you're not giving us anything but a pretty barren website to work with?

For paying design jobs that I make actual money for on some contracts, I want more from my clients than you're giving me to do free work with. Help me, or I can't help you.

7. I understand why you'd like more info/guidelines, but there really arent any. The only guideline is that it should be totally dope. And maybe a little cursivey. The rest is your call.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Totally dope.

:cool:

Alright. Tonight, you get totally dope if I've got time to mess with it after I'm done with my homework.

P.S. Could you at least tell me what kinda music you play? Put it this way, what working group right now do you think it would be most appropriate for your band to open for? What bands do you think your music would be a least appropriate opener for?

The feel I get from the website is that you're playing, like, Counting Crows-type stuff. Is that accurate?

9. No, Counting Crowes is pretty far off actually. Some people have compared us to Sigur Ros and this guy came up to us after a show once and said "You dudes must listen to a lotta Tull, man," so somewhere between Sigur Ros and Jethro Tull, I guess, with no vocals. You can check out some tunes on our soundclick.com page, it's linked off our site. Totally dope sounds pretty tit, thanks man. :cool:

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmm, I'd recommend a picture of a Flute stuck in a bag of Sugar...

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm actually learning about Logo Design in Graphic Design class, I suck at it... but here's a good idea...

Think of 3 terms you'd use to describe your band... example...

Artsy
    Stinky
    Funky

Think of words that convey Artsy, Stinky, Funky and try to make them into a logo. It can be something as simple as the Nikey swoosh, nikey shoes make you fast... so make a fast mark, bam, you got a logo.

Or just mess around in Adobe Illustrator, you'll get something sooner or later.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What ever you do. DO NOT use the difference cloud effect, or the lens flare effect.

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You know, I gotta say that's probably the best advice that's been posted in this thread.

Use your filters. Don't abuse them. :)

StupidMatt: Brainstorming was one of the first things I was taught, and you're right. It really, really works well for getting the ball rolling.

14. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Yo Ryan. Everyone so far has been pretty positive with their answers, so I'll come out and be the jerk to tell you...What you are asking for is the graphic equivilent of your band's theme song that you will play every time you go on stage. You wouldn't ask one of these good folks to write you a song without knowing anything about your band. Certainly not something that no one else in the world can play except you. You wouldn't expect someone to give away "totally dope" music for free. Why would "totally dope" art be different?

You are planning on selling this art work to promote your band. You should find someone local that knows your group and throw a few bucks (or free shirts or something) their way to work this up for you. Logos generally don't happen the first try. My last one for my business took about 50 iterations to get where it was good to go. If the group is serious, it should care what it's image is going to be.

http://www.smithbergerphoto.com

15. Here, Here, Joe!

I would even go so far as to say that if no money is available, you will get EXACTLY what you pay for. Professionals sell their work unless they are somehow tied to the project. You are pretentious and greedy to ask someone to give to you the most important marketing item you can ask for to make money with and not EXPECT to pay them.

I am a professional in this field. It gauls me how some people think that because I create a product from my mind, it is somehow NOT something that can be sold or is worth less than a widget you can hold. Au contraire! I earn my living with my mind and creativity. That IS my product and the current market for that product pays me pretty well. That's why professionals usually don't give away their product - because it's too valuable to them and they don't have to prove to anyone that they're worth what they ask. Take a look at John Turner's latest CD "Fear and Trembling" from his band Lord Only. This is a totally self produced product but John and his bandmates had the extreme foresight to get the packaging done by a professional and it has payed off. There's a lesson here.

IF you are serious, you should consider having ALL of your promotional material professionally designed and produced. Believe it or not, a slick, well produced program will carry your band just a little further and open just a few more doors than your music alone. Trust me, that's the way it is in this world.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here's what I came up with thinking of these three words Stupid Matt came up with. Hope you like it.

[​IMG]

I used the cloud defference and the lense flare effect. I find those work best for maximum effect! :D

17. Actually, though we wont be using it, I do like it. It brought tears to my eyes it made me laugh so hard. I'm kind of a poopaholic.

18. Brilliant...that is the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time :D