1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

calling all Police fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by papadesophie, Aug 1, 2007.

1. papadesophie

papadesophie

Mar 11, 2007
    Anyone know if Mr Sting ever used a Stingray? I bought the new Best of album today (because I'm not a REAL fan), and on some of the stuff I'd swear it was a 'ray???

Just interested..

2. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I believe you're thinking of his spector euro?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sting never used a Stingray. I would agree you're probably hearing a Spector, but I'm pretty sure it was an NS-2 and not a Euro. I don't even think Spector made European basses back then.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Correct. He played a white US Kramer Spector NS-2.

5. papadesophie

papadesophie

Mar 11, 2007
    pathetically i've only just noticed the stingray / sting thing. thanks for the info. i've seen a pic of him using something that looks like it's made from walnut or something (maybe even with a thru' neck, with soapbars on it. I assume that's a spector? If it ain't a fender, musicman rick or modulus I don't know what it is!
    I'm sure you're right, I'm just convinced that on some tracks it's not a P that he's using. Incidentally, when did the 50s P bass become his main bass, and what is it played on?

6. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Isn't his old Spector on sale at Bass Central?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The walnut looking bass would be an Ibanez Musician. And yeah, none of the Police songs were cut on the 51 Precision he uses now. He recut "Demolition Man" in 1992 or 1993 and bought the bass for the video.

8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

I believe that Sting's old Spector is hanging in the R & R Hall of Fame in Cleveland. The one for sale at BC is a similar model.

Cheers,
    Kevin

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1

10. police fans.... *gets baseball bat*

:D

11. kinda off topic, but i just bought my ticket to see the Police in January in New Zealand, can't wait!!! Hopfuly they don't break up by then lol.
    Any1 been to any of the Police re-union shows, and how was it?

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've heard nothing but good things about the shows. From what I've read and heard, the band's chemistry is incredible and it looks like everybody's having a great time.

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sting used various Ibanez (Musician, Studio), Fender (mosly P's), Steinberger (XL2), Spector (NS2) and Upright (Electric and Acoustic) basses through his years with The Police. He frequently doubled his basslines (Electric+Electric, Electric+Upright, Upright+Upright). Don't know if he ever actually recorded the Steinbergers or Spectors.

No Music Mans that I ever heard about.

14. Sweet!

15. quantumquest

quantumquest

Jun 18, 2005
    Close: Sting purchased his Pre-Kramer, White NS-2 Spector Bass on the second date of the Synchronicity Tour in July of 1983: Spector sold to Kramer in 1985/1986.

I used to work for the Spector dealer that sold it to Sting. Dan Martin, the late owner of the St. Charles Guitar Exchange, was a friend of Sting's and used to sell him various instruments when he would be touring through St. Louis, Dan handed him the Spector during the soundcheck (Sting liked the color and small size of the Spector) and he used it during the show as well. After the show ended, Sting jumped into the limo while still wearing it and said "write a check...".

Look closely at it: it has Chrome hardware instead of the customary gold: Dan specified it this way so that the hardware would always look great throughout the tour.

Dan sold similarly equipped Spectors to Edward Van Halen and Mikey Craig of Culture Club...

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    The Steinberger is all over their Ghost In The Machine album, albeit often doubled with a fretless Fender Precision or an EUB.

I suspect it's also on Synchronicity but haven't ever heard that confirmed.

Don't think he ever recorded the Spector with The Police, unless it was on that 1986 remake of "Don't Stand So Close To Me"

17. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I attended their show in Denmark in september.
    They played good, playing songs from the entire catalog but boy, they sounded bad. Sometimes when Sting played notes low on the e-string, it just rumbled the soundsystem. Maybe he also played with the OC-2 engaged?
    Ok it's was a big outdoor gig and i stood in the back of the crowd because i had to play later that evening and i had to go early.
    But ill never go the another big show again. The sound is always bad at these show. Sometimes when a really big band plays, it's good (like Rolling Stone or Aerosmith, they always sound good) but if The Police can't get it right, then i'll stop going.
    I'm a big Policefan and i'll probably go again if they play in a smaller club. But what's the odds?

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Do you think he'd call it a "Me-Ray"?

eh? eh?

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That wouldn't surprise me as he played the Steinberger almost exclusively on that tour.

20. Twnty1inRF

Twnty1inRF

Sep 13, 2007
    DC Region
    I caught The Police in DC last November, AMAZING!!! There is a chemistry with those three that transcends.

They still have the magic and have revoiced several songs, Andy was arpeggiating (is that even a word?) like crazy on Every Little Thing. They did have to transpose a few songs (especially So Lonely) in order to save poor Sting's pipe's.

Here is the set list from that night:

Message in a Bottle
    Synchronicity II
    Walking On The Moon
    Voices Inside My Head
    When The World Is Running Down
    Don't Stand So Close To Me
    Driven To Tears
    Truth Hits Everybody
    Hole In My Life
    Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    Wrapped Around Your Finger
    De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
    Invisible Sun
    Walking In Your Footsteps
    Can't Stand Losing You
    Roxanne
    King Of Pain
    So Lonely
    Every Breath You Take
    Next To You

I was hoping for Omega Man or Murder By Numbers but it was a great evening.

Sting's son Joe's band opened and he has his voice (but not his songwriting skill, maybe eventually).