1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

calling all PR410HLF owners, past and present

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrianVengeance, May 19, 2011.

1. I love this cab, but I've been GASing for something new, so Aside from weight and / or not needing the size / volume...

Past owners: What did you replace it with and why? Would you go back?

Present owners: What would you replace it with and why? What (cabs) would you / have you added to it and why?

2. I know you're out there... Bueller? Bueller?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Calm down dude... a couple of hours isn't really long enough to give it before you bump up your own thread like that.

4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I had one and loved it while I had it too, but my back did not. I replaced it with a GB NEOX212T and have never missed it. The 212T is a fantastic cab at half the weight...

If I was replacing it now though, I would probably go with the GB Uber 410 (about 72lbs I think)

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Is the PR410HLF the model that has dark red rat fur around the speaker's baffle behind the grille and weighs 120 + lbs? If so, I have one of the 4 ohm models stored in my basement. If this is the same model, besides it's back breaking weight, I didn't like how my B-string's lowest notes sounded through mine. I could really hear the cab's frequency response roll off on my lowest notes.

But for a 4-string I felt it did a great job. I played in a band that hosted a weekly Sunday Night Jam at a local club, and it was the cab I ran my Crest CA9/Demeter through it for the 'Jammers' to play through. (I wasn't about to subject my Bergantino or Aguilar cabs to this kind of abuse! :D)

There were a couple of guys that would regularly attend/participate, and the bass player used a killer Alembic Series-II. These guys played very loud and my Ampeg cab handled the volume with ease, and it sounded really good IMO.

So if the weight doesn't bother you, and your main bass is a 4-string, go for it.

6. This is the PR410HLF (mine actually) -

5740239088_9a6a6923ba.

Wanting to see what previous owners have moved on to, and what current owners are GASing for...

7. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    My back is breaking just at the thought of one!

My current cab of choice is the Ampeg PRO NEO PN-410HLF

Built like a small tank, 64-pounds, made in the USA, clarity, tone + power for days

... let alone the major aesthetic improvement :)

Cheers!

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    The Ampeg with the Red rat fur is a different model I believe...See the pic by the poster above for the PR410HLF...

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You're right, Fish, the Ampeg 4-10 I still have is a different model. It doesn't have the ported bottom section. Sorry, folks!

FWIW I changed my sound some over the years, and got back into playing a 6-string bass. I found I like the low mids punch of 12" speakers. I just bought 2 Mesa PH212 cabs. I haven't gigged with them yet, but I really like what I'm hearing at home.

I'm sure I'll keep my pair of Aguilar GS112's; They seem to work well with my 6's and my 5-string, but I'm undecided on my Bergantino HT210/HT115 cab setup since I've changed my sound.

Amp/cab-wise, I'm not gassing for anything at this time.

10. lowlevel

lowlevel

Dec 30, 2011
    What is a good bass head for this cab? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

11. lowlevel

lowlevel

Dec 30, 2011
    What is a good bass head for the pr410hlf?

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Any bass head. Seriously, anything works with it. In my opinion though, the SVT 3 PRO sounds the best with that cab. The low end response is tighter, the midrange sounds similar to the 810e and is very round and full, and the high end sounds very clear. Everything else I have used with that cab - the lows are WAYYY too boomy sounding, the midrange between 400-800hz seemed to be gone, and the upper mid growl into the treble region was sort of clear sounding with not much attack.

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I owned one back in 97-98ish. I didn't like how the cab got lost in the mix. It was like I to had to have a perfect room every time to get it to sing. I used a SVT3PRO with it and a Trace Elliot 600 watt a couple times before getting rid of it. It is a rock solid built cab but was way too heavy. I replaced it with a 610HLF which while not lighter, was easier to move around. The Ampeg 610HLF BTW has been one of my favorite cabs I have ever owned. It just sang in the heavier rock and indie stuff I was doing.

Down the road and probably $25,000 dollars worth of gear later you would never guess what cab sounded like the PR410HLF but added the missing mids I wanted. The Avatar 410 NEO. It had the lows, the clarity, was a little more tight sounding but the overall sound was scary similar without the boomy bottom. Best of all, about 70lbs lighter lol.

My setup now is an Ampeg PF350 and 2 PF115 cabs.