1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

calling all punks! Gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yellowbassj, May 15, 2006.

1. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    What kind of gear do you guys use? Basses,strings, amps, eqs? Thanks

2. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    well uh, i used to play in a punk band. squier p, fender rumble with bass at 12, mid at 10:30 and treble at 1-2

3. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Back around high school when I played punk rock I used a cheap yamaha Precision copy and a big lousy Crate combo amp. Mostly because I didnt know any better and because we felt that the whole "spirit" of punk involved not really giving a damn about equipment or tone.

Anyway, I think the Precision bass played with a pick is pretty much the standard for punk rock.

4. all time greatest punk bass setup, GK RB400 thru 2 peavey pa cabs, one a sub horn, the other a 2 way with tweeter.
    Ok before I got a good setup (Mesa Boogie bass 400 and mesa 15" and Eden 15" no tweets) I went thru a lot of different amps and cabs. PV speakers tend to take punk bass abuse well without frying like some higher priced brands. Especially if you play distorted bass it is easy to kill speakers.
    Also check out the Sunn Beta bass, GK 400 or 800 and PV Mark IV. These are great cheap punk bass heads. Of course if you are a punk bassist with money get a tube ampeg SVT head and an 8x10 cab or 2. It also helps to use a proco rat or Ibanez tube screamer YMMV. But then I am from the East Bay, and our punk is a little metal.
    Strings? Stainless, and Jazzes have been the de facto punk bass since Klaus Fluoride and the DK's. IMHO green day and mike dirnt are NOT punk.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a G&L SB-2 that I've been liking the sound of lately in my punk band. It's sort of a P/J setup with the pickups. I use that through a Sansamp RBI and into a QSC PLX amp...then onto either my Schroeder 310212 cab or an Ampeg 8x10e. Sometimes I use my G&L L-2000. I used a Sterling for a long time before these basses. When I know it's going to be a crazy show...I'll sling out the SX Jazz...I don't mind beer getting all over that one!!!!!

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Matt freeman (rancid) uses a jazz with both p'ups and tone full on. i like that tone... It's pretty solid; cuts through but you still get all the bass going.

7. Depends on what kind of punk you want to play. Classic punk...probably some kind of P-bass. If you want to play more modern, more melodic punk, probably a J-bass or even a MusicMan of some kind.

Personally I find I can get Dee Dee-esque tones with my Fender P-bass thru my Peavey TNT 115 and using a Boss Overdrive pedal.

8. i used ot play in a punk band with a P-Copy and a Peavey 15" combo.

tone and volume on bass set to full bright. lotsa treble and bass, less mids.

oh, and:

lotsa volume.

9. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    What else is there? An old Precision and an old SVT. No effects, damn it! Sling that bass low and play with a pick.

10. That's what I'm thinking.
    Not to complicate things but...:bag: how would you define "Punk" anyhow? When I think of Punk it's The Clash and of course the Sex Pistols, both use P's. What do you guy's think?

11. Ive got it all listed in my sig

Will be mainly using the Ampeg SVT-II with Marshall VBC810 8x10" cabinet, also using my sansamp BassDriver DI and using either my Ibanez ATK400 or hotrodded Aria Pro II bass which is a P/J setup with DiMarzio Model P and Model J pickups

- Will

12. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    a beat up black fender mim p bass with lots and lots of stickers on it would be the best. also an ibanez atk is possible.

13. That was the exact same bass I started out with when I first got into bass and punk-rock.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    As for strings, get some nickels or steels, they'll help you get the trebly, cutting sound you hear in modern punk music ever so often.

15. :eyebrow: ;) What's left Bronse or Tape lol!!!

16. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    whatever the bass, i'd consider carrying it to your gigs in a shopping bag, like the ramones.

17. slaprock

slaprock

Dec 19, 2004
    tacoma, wa
    the proco rat is a cool distortion for punk tone on bass. i prefer the sound of the turbo rat though.

18. Lakland Bob Glaub (P bass) into

Sansamp RBI into QSC PLX 1602 into a Schroeder 410 Light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 My LAKLAND JO full on sounds really tight. My cover band plays RHCP, fugazi, Rancid, NOFX, MISFITS, etc. The jazz gets my vote with a P right behind it

20. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I use my BC Rich Mockingbird (P/P pups) or Innovator (P/J) four stringers with nickel strings.

Trace Elliot RAH350SMX, bias to tube, EQ flat w/ midshape 1 in. Trace Elliot 1524 2x15 cab.

Most importantly, use a pick! :bassist:

BTW, I'm talking Ramones and Sex Pistols type stuff.