Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all rack users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D. Matthews, May 2, 2002.

1. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    For those that use a rack and/or head:
    Do you ever have a problem with rattling noises coming from your rack when placed directly on top of your cab(s)? How do you solve this? It seems easy to say "put it on a nearby table", but I find on smaller stages that I'm lucky enough to have room for me....and usually stuffed in the back....sound familiar? I once saw a DJ isolate his turntable by using tennis balls cut with a flat side to keep them from rolling. I've wondered if this or maybe something like soft rubber(hockey pucks??...hey I am Canadian after all....Go Leafs Go!!!) would work. So, what do you guys do? Thanks for the feedback.

2. Sometimes the latches will rattle, I just move them in and they are fine. are you sure there isn't something lose on your case? does it not sit flat on your cabinet? how loud is the rattle? cause sometimes you just can't avoid it after all you do play bass. If it bothers you i would just put something under it.

hey where in canada you from? i am near toronto

3. Could it be harmful for pre amp tubes, or other electronic stuff in the amp?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd put some foam between the cab and the rack - that should solve the problem.

5. Good point!!

I'm gonna try this the next gig I have

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Get a bigger head... if your poweramp were more powerful, it would probably weigh more... and then it wouldn't rattle anymore. I know it could be expensive, and maybe even overkill :eek:, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

7. I have a homemade rack made out of 3/4" plywood
    carpet, corners and spring loaded handles. To
    stop vibration I use 1" rubber door stops screwed
    in a bit from each corner on the bottom side of the
    rack. Cheap and effective.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Foam is your friend...

9. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a rattling problem with my rack when I place it on top of my cab(s). It was the hinged handles on the rack. I just use a bungee cord going from one handle to the other to give just enough pressure on the handles to keep them from rattling. Simple fix since I already have the bungee for securing some lighter equipment when it is on my cart for transporting.

Foam is great too. I use some grey foam that is used for shipping electronic equipment. I cut a few squares to wedge between my head and my rack. This provides some shock protection for the otherwise unsupported rear of my head when it is in the rack and takes some of the stress off of the front rack mount ears. It is about 1"-1.5" thick and is just stiff enough that when compressed it does the job perfectly. I am careful not to cover up any vents on my equipment and the foam is tight enough to not slide around. I used the foam since my amp does not have any holes in the rear panel to secure the rear in the rack.

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

My amp tech has repeatedly told me that I should not put anything on top of a bass cab. The vibrations can really damage the electronics after a while. I have seen a set of keys bounce up and down wildly when playing at full vloume. Still I have my pre-amp on top in a soft padded rack case. I must like to give him money!
    :D