Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Sep 13, 2002.

1. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    This is the second time I´m posting this because NOBODY help me the last time....... so lets see if someone share his/her knowlege with this poor soul looking for answers......

ok Here´s the question:

I have an Ibanez SR400, and I feel that the E string is WAY louder than the other 3 strings, so my question is:
    Which is the best way to get equal output from all strings????

I´m testing with PUPS heigth, geting the pups under the G and D strings closer to them.... Is that the rigth way to do it???, or there is something more that I should know???

Gracias amigos.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup that´s pretty much it.

Lower the pups where the E string is.

You could also try to experiment with different string types.
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Do you mean different brands or different sizes?????.

For the record: I use Blue Steels Medium-light (45-105)
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I would say a different brand for starters....

But if you like your current strings, then there´s no harm in testing a different gauge strings.
  5. My SR 500 had the same problem. I had to install a new nut and move the E sadle up really high in an attempt to solve the problem.

eventually I changed my technique to accomidate,

then I sold the bass.

I think the preamp seems to be tuned exactly to 40 hz

Blue steels really cut on that bass. I changed to nickles.
  6. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    i didnt see your thread but im having the same problem with my gsr and i tried to lower the 'p' pup but i couldnt find any screwdriver to do it (too small/big), so i guess itll a matter of finding the right one.

also, theres any way you can change that with eq? will 'knobing' be good to regulate E's volume?
  7. I agree with lowering you E A side of the pickups, and raising the D G side. Somewhere in there you should get good balance.

I use Blue Steels on my 5 string, and I've never experienced any sort of trouble with them. I also use the medium guage, so if it where me, changing strings would be one of the last things I'd do.

However, if lowering/ raising the pickups doesn't work, try raising/ lowering the saddles. If that fails, then change strings. If still it's not sounding balanced, take it to a tech.
  8. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ..... or get a new bass....... I´m saving money for it... by now:

I tryied lowering the E-A side on the pups and rising the D-G side and using my Mackie mixer as an output tester, and that seemed to work, at lest on the P pup, with the J pup I´m still noticing some diference but I´m working on it.

This seems to be a problem very common on all Ibanez SR basses.

Thanx for all the replies guys!!!!!!
  9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Is it possible it's an eq spike or something?

Chris A.:rolleyes: