Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CALLING ALL SETUP GENIUSES!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Sep 13, 2002.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    This is the second time I´m posting this because NOBODY help me the last time....... so lets see if someone share his/her knowlege with this poor soul looking for answers......

ok Here´s the question:

I have an Ibanez SR400, and I feel that the E string is WAY louder than the other 3 strings, so my question is:
    Which is the best way to get equal output from all strings????

I´m testing with PUPS heigth, geting the pups under the G and D strings closer to them.... Is that the rigth way to do it???, or there is something more that I should know???

Gracias amigos.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup that´s pretty much it.

Lower the pups where the E string is.

You could also try to experiment with different string types.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Do you mean different brands or different sizes?????.

For the record: I use Blue Steels Medium-light (45-105)

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I would say a different brand for starters....

But if you like your current strings, then there´s no harm in testing a different gauge strings.

5. My SR 500 had the same problem. I had to install a new nut and move the E sadle up really high in an attempt to solve the problem.

eventually I changed my technique to accomidate,

then I sold the bass.

I think the preamp seems to be tuned exactly to 40 hz

Blue steels really cut on that bass. I changed to nickles.

6. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i didnt see your thread but im having the same problem with my gsr and i tried to lower the 'p' pup but i couldnt find any screwdriver to do it (too small/big), so i guess itll a matter of finding the right one.

also, theres any way you can change that with eq? will 'knobing' be good to regulate E's volume?

7. I agree with lowering you E A side of the pickups, and raising the D G side. Somewhere in there you should get good balance.

I use Blue Steels on my 5 string, and I've never experienced any sort of trouble with them. I also use the medium guage, so if it where me, changing strings would be one of the last things I'd do.

However, if lowering/ raising the pickups doesn't work, try raising/ lowering the saddles. If that fails, then change strings. If still it's not sounding balanced, take it to a tech.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ..... or get a new bass....... I´m saving money for it... by now:

I tryied lowering the E-A side on the pups and rising the D-G side and using my Mackie mixer as an output tester, and that seemed to work, at lest on the P pup, with the J pup I´m still noticing some diference but I´m working on it.

This seems to be a problem very common on all Ibanez SR basses.

Thanx for all the replies guys!!!!!!

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Is it possible it's an eq spike or something?

Chris A.:rolleyes: