1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling all spector owners and anyone else interested

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Howdy,

:help:
    just wondering if anyone else that owns a spector bass has an issue with the bridge? the issue i am having is that with the unique design of the bridge (ie. the saddles are pushed against each other to be held in place) the vibration from one string being playedtravels across the saddles and starts to vibrate the other strings. is it only mine that does this? and are there any ways to fix this - short of replacing the bridge? for those who dont own a spector or arent familiar with the bridge in question i have included a pic below.
    :help:

[​IMG]

2. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    I've been playing a spector for 7 years and have never noticed that. It might be a good idea to contact Spector and see if they have any recommendations. Everyone I've spoken with there has always been extremely helpful. I had a broken truss rod and Stuart Specter was the person who called me back from them to help facilitate getting it fixed.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Spector but don't experience problems with sympathetic string vibrations, probably because of my technique. Is it possible to change your technique to mute strings with your left-hand when you're not playing them?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Lots of bridge designs have the saddles contacting each other. In fact, very few bridges have saddles that are locked in place to keep them from vibrating nearly so completely as the Spector.

The resonance or sustain of the Spector might cause more sympathetic vibrations than you're used to from the other basses you've owned, or having the extra string to mute may be throwing you off--muting the strings is a problem a lot of new 5-string players have to deal with. But it's not due to the "unique bridge" design, nor is it particularly unusual.

Mike

5. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I'm with the other guys guys. Check your muting technique. The EMG's are pretty sensitive and will amplify any gap in your technique.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Stupid question..but are all the little allen screws tight on the saddles and the side of the bridge. In other words is everything tightened down?

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

just wait until you have to intonate that thing...

:crying:

8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Hey brother, here's the deal: only two ways to end up with the problem you're having, both relate to something not touching something else. Sympathetic vibrations saddle-to saddle will not cause the ringing you're experiencing. What can cause it is almost like hardware feedback if you follow me..no? ok here we go...

when the string is firmly attached to the saddle, and the saddle firmly attached to everything else, the string vibration south of the saddle contact point is ver VERY minimal, and at absolute zero at it's contact point with the bridge. The only way that saddle is gonna vibrate to any discernable degree is if you allow it to....by that I mean that the saddle must have some "give" going on somewhere. The string vibration actually has to be causing the entire saddle itself to vibrate, if one side of the saddle has the chance to knock against another saddle, that saddle will vibrate in sync with whatever is hitting it (equal but opposite reaction etc). your other string is resting on that saddle, so of course it will vibrate as well...

So thats the problem..here's the solution

one of the trickiest parts about that spector bridge is the diagonally opposed saddle adjustment pins. You can only give about one full turn of your allen wrench in one pin without lifting its opposing pin off the bridge plate, leaving a gap. They must both be adjusted equally. if one gets a half-turn, so must the other. if this isnt done, your going to have a saddle which will "rock". Yes, it's being squeezed on either side by the other saddles, but the greatest force on it is the downward push of the string. The loose pin will rattle (sometimes inaudibly) against the plate, and it will carry to another string. best bet is to take an allen key to each of your saddles, GENTLY give each a little twist, each one should have a little resistance.....if you find a loose one that isnt pushing against the plate, you've found your problem...

9. I'm with others as well. Technique. If you play only one string and don't touch (mute) the other strings in any way, that vibration WILL transfer to other strings.

If you think about it, the whole bass is 'connected' so vibration will occur, and be transferred throughout the instrument.

I have noticed on my MTD K5 that if I ride one string and don't mute anything, other strings will start vibrating. I think it's normal.

But good luck nailing this down.

10. thanks man for the detailed instructions - much appreciated. i'll let you know how it goes. and yes i'm really looking forward to trying to get the intonation right aswell. just so i get to look like a complete fool you guys are talking about muting the strings not being played with your fretting hand arent you?
    thanks everyone for replying.
    :hyper:

11. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Yes. Muting can be a bit tricky. Use your fretting hand fingers as well as your plucking hand thumb and the fingers not used for plucking.

12. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    no problem major. spent a long time as a freelance tech for my buddies. Thos Spector brideges can be a bit tricky, but I actually prefer them to the Hipshot bridges on teh american bolt-ons...

let me know if that works