calling all stick players

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Feb 22, 2003.

1. I want to incorperate some Stick-like tapping techniques into my playing (i would buy a stick, but i don't have $1200 in my couch.) Are there any techniques i should practice for tapping?
  2. really? no one plays stick here? :(
  3. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    what are sticks? sorry
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

FF, just check out all those bass tapping lessons on the net. It's not really much different from strick tapping.
  5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I've been playing Stick for 28 years and I play a nine string bass and use a more effective technique for the bass than I used un the stick.I can give you some exercises to get you going.
  6. ratgeek

Oct 5, 2002
    I don't play but I would love to learn and like you I dont even have ten bucks in my couch. You can set up a left handed bass and learn the basics. look around the stick website and do general searches on the web. Sorry I cant help more.
  7. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I checked out that stick site and it looks amazing, At ninestring i bet your amazing! 28 years must be a pro!, anyway yeah i hope theyre displaying some sticks in my local music shop, hehe:D :bassist:
  8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    thanks for the comments-you know it's never ending-you always find something,or a piece of music etc. you don't have under your fingers,so practice,practice -forever
    the traditional tick tuning is very different-lowest string in the middle of the neck....
  9. Novice Stick player here (got one two weeks ago). If you have a spare bass, you can set it up as a dedicated tapping instrument - make the neck perfectly flat, file the nut slots so the strings barely clear the first fret, lower the string saddles so you get ultra-low action all over the fret board and put a damper under the first fret (the soft side of a velcro patch is ideal, but a folded Kleenex will do just fine)

I did all that, except the nut filing, before getting my Stick. It worked well.

As far as exercises are concerned, you can try rearranging some licks you already know for two-handed tapping techniques. For example, instead of going to the adjacent string when going from G on the low E to C on the A string, make your right hand tap the C at the 8th fret of the E string.

You can also arpeggiate chords with your right hand playing the 3rd, 5th and 7th degrees up an octave while holding the root with your left hand.

Needless to say, the possibilities are endless. :)