Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all UK TBers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_D, Jan 17, 2006.

1. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    I have been thinking of saving up to get a decent quality Jazz bass. I have 2 P-basses one active and one passive but neither are of a high quality, So reading reviews from other TBers I decided to look for a Sad or a G&L but in the UK there isn't much choice if any at all.
    I found this
    http://www.basscentre.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=40

And this
    http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/G___L.html

Only thing is I would prefer to try them both out and see which I prefer and I would love more choice as well!
    So the question is where if anywhere in the UK (preferably Scotland) stock any of these?
    C'mon guys I know you can help me!

2. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about Laklands....?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want the Jazz sound, I would not recommend the Tribute. It can come close, but not that close to a Jazz sound. I don't know what Lakland Skylines run in the UK, but the Daryl Jones and Joe Osborne models are very well thought of. I own a 55-02, and to my ears, it does a very good jazz impression with the front pickup and the bridge pickup set on the rear coil soloed.

5. Bruce Lindfield

So do I and that' why I suggested it! :)

6. Fender? The reason I say this is that sometimes it becomes unfashionable to go to the original. Undoubtedly all these other suggestions are good especially the Laklands. Why not try a Fender though you may be surprised. The American Series Fender basses are an improvement on the recent past. I recently bought an American Series Jazz with the S-1 switching. I am delighted with the bass. It is well-made. Very playable and excellent value. It has a one-piece ash body and maple neck. All for £775 from Sound Control in Glasgow. Sound Control are in Dunfermline as well I think. Give it a go!

7. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Trying to get an MIA Fender in the Uk is supposedly quite hard.
    If I could find a decent Music store I assume they would stock Fenders and maybe Laklands. Then I could try a few. Sound Control is over priced and most other music stores dont stock a lot of Basses. Usual story 20 guitars to every Bass.:crying:
    I will have to visit the one in Glasgow now though. I go to the one in Kirkcaldy but it sucks, Dunfermline is OK but not a great selection.

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My local Sound Control has plenty of MIA Fenders, they're also very willing to be haggled with, I love those guys :D, I'm a regular there, may even get a part-time summer job there. The biggest bass collection I've seen barring the London Bass Center and Bass Gallery was in the Manchester Salford Sound Control, just like my local shop, it used to be an Academy Of Sound and they still carry Academy Of Sound style products, they have a huge wall of Warwicks, another of Fenders, Spectors, it's just an incredible shop, loads of everything.

I really don't see how finding an MIA Fender would be hard, my local Sound Control has at least 5 MIA Jazzes.

9. If you go to Glasgow Sound Control the basses are downstairs. Ask for Ollie or Danny and say Hutton sent you.

All the best in the Jazz quest!

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    In the UK, Sadowsky is handled by The Gallery, in London. However, you should shop around some of the other European dealers to check prices.

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_dealers.html

I think the German store, Station Music, has pretty good prices, and so does the Spanish store, Todobajos.

11. Unfortunately, this is the eleventh and twelfth of the ten commandments.

• Lo! Those that reside in the UK and covet all things bass shall have a miserly selection of tools from which to choose.

• If one were to covet something from this meagre selection, thou shalt pay though thine nose.

It sucks. Badly.

12. ha! too true! Dublin's not too bad for the bass stuff and London obviously has a decent shop or two. but i am green with envy over the americans and canadians, i just keep my eyes peeled on ebay and such and pay the extortionate shipping and import tax (which by the way is being raised and more tightly controlled soon:spit: )

13. Bruce Lindfield

I agree - my local shop always has about a dozen MIA Fenders and I was in Cardiff and Cranes there had a huge range of Fenders - I tried them all when I was there, but decided the only Fender I liked, was the Roscoe Beck Signature 5 !! :)

As to the Bass Centre and Gallery - the former does usually have a lot of Fenders and Jazz basses - but when I've been to the Gallery, they've had a lot of 'Exotic' basses - but not any of the ordinary "day to day" ranges, like current Fenders.....?

14. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Thats why I bought my basses from the states. You can buy a Sadowsky Metro direct from Roger, its works out the same as buying here after taxes and shipping. Its the ONLY bass I would be comfortable ordering online.
    You can order MIA Fenders from most dealers and in most cases it is in stock at Fender Europe and can send it. But try it first before you walk away with it, they are a bit hit and miss QC wise. I've personally had (several) very bad QC problems with Lakland Skylines that I've found in the UK, although Dan Lakin is a gent and offered to put things right.

15. Before I came to this forum I had never heard of Lakland, Sadowsky, G&L etc...

The UK selection is miserable. Well it is in Bristol anyway...

16. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    When it comes to trying basses out - the best possible thing to do is get on a train to London. It is the only way you'll get to put hands onto half the basses you want to. Well worth a day trip or overnighter.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yup. Gallery and Centre, friends. Those are the only two words that you need to know.

Also, there's loads of quality basses in the UK. I play a Pedulla Rapture J-2000 4 string and a 1990 Warwick Streamer Stage I V.

18. Bruce Lindfield

I fixed those commandments!! ;)

19. Bruce, have you changed the 11th and 12th commandments as originally posted by wateroftyne? Is that what 'fixed' means?

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Fife, huh? I spent my third year of university (back in the '70s) at St. Andrews.

Anyway, if you like Jazzes, you should talk to Jon Shuker in Sheffield and check out his J model. I don't know what your budget is, but Jon's a great guy, and his prices are moderate compared to some of the makers out there. FWIW, I own two of his Bolt-on Customs (you can see one on the relevant page of his site; it has the amboyna burl top and the matching wooden knobs). AFAIK, Jon makes the basses all by himself in his shop (aside from hardware and electronics of course), he doesn't job out the bodies and necks.

I don't know if any shops in Scotland carry Jon's stuff, but maybe you can manage a trip to Sheffield.

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

Nothing against G&L or Sadowsky, and no offense meant to you, but sometimes I think some of you UK guys could stand to pay more attention to some of your home-grown builders (Sei, Shuker, and Overwater, to name only a few). I'm an American and I love many American instruments, but a bass doesn't have to be American to be good.

All that said, G&Ls, and especially Sadowskys, are still excellent basses that should do you proud if you go that way.