Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling ALL Upperclassmen and High School Grads.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 28, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    When you were in high school...junior year (or whatever year it was for you) did you take bio 2, chem, or physics? i really don't like bio 1 so i am prolly not gonn take bio 2...so the choice is either chem or physics...can i get some pros and cons for each class?

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Pros- They should both be incredibly easy.

Cons- You have to sit through them.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    It might vary by state, but here you have bio1 sophomore, chem junior, and bio2 or chem2 are your choices for seniors.... i think... i am probably wrong. i'll just shut up...

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    here's the paths i can choose (btw i am a sophmore taking bio 1 now)

Bio:
    Bio 2 Junior Year
    AP Bio OR Genetics Senior Year
    (^^AP Bio Gives College Credits)

Chem:
    Lab Chemistry Junior Year
    AP Chemistry Senior Year(Gives College Credits)

Physics:
    Physics 1 Junior Year
    Physics 2 Senior Year

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well depending on what you want to take in college the college credits might not amount to much if anything at all (I have credits I cannot use towards anything). I would just suggest to take the one that seems the most interesting to be honest...

6. This is what i did in high school.

sophmore - bio
    junior - chem
    senior - physics
    those were the standards for Colorado

7. Freshman-biology (pre-IB)
    Sophmore-chemistry
    Junior-Pysics I (IB)
    Senior-will be Pysics II (IB)

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    BP13-I'm also gonna be a junior. I am going to take Physics since my school counselor said it'd should be easier for me given my strengths. My freshman year i took biology, this year-Earth Science, next year physics then i don't think i have to take a science class senior year for college prep diploma [note-we have several diplomas, Academic Honors Diploma the highest, Certificate of Completion {not even a diploma} the lowest]. Thats all

9. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Freshman- Physics I
    Sophomore- Bio I
    Junior- Chem
    Senior- Bio II or Physics II

10. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Freshman - Biology
    Sophmore - Chemistry
    Junior - Physics

All were fairly easy for me, but I wasn't in honors classes. And I wasnt required to take a senior science class. *sigh* Highschool is so dumbed down here :p

11. i went to a prep school, i graduate sunday, but ne way

i took bio freshman year, yea, i was a year ahead
    chem my sophomore year
    AP Chem my junior year
    Biotechnology my senior year

the best advice i can give u is, if u like math, take physics, if you hate math, take bio, if u hate bio take chem, there is a little math involved but nothing horrible

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Freshman - Bio
    Sophomore - Chem
    Junior - Physics
    Senior - AP Physics

Bio and one of the physical sciences (chem or physics) were required at my school. Most kids including myself took all three. I liked physics so much that I took AP Physics. A good percentage of kids at my high school took one of the AP sciences (Bio, Chem, Physics), a decent number took two (usually Bio and Chem) and the really ambitious ones took all three.

Like Jared, my AP credits for Physics and Calculus didn't count for squat at my University since I'm in the Engineering school, but nonetheless I still think it was worth it for me to take the classes.

13. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Here's how I went:
    Freshman-Biology
    Sophomore-Chemistry
    Junior-Physics

When we start school again I'll be a senior and taking a college biology class. I would recommend a physics class. They are much more tolerable and you don't have to learn jack about the periodic table which is always a plus. Also, in my physics class we got to study sound and electricity which can be very useful when it comes to amps~Josh

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I took physics as a freshie, and chem and bio in my sophomore year. I'm not taking a science course now. I'm a junior BTW.

After taking both, I can tell you that Physics is more entertaining and fun, IMO. I remember more from physics 2 years ago than I do chem 1 year ago.

15. When I was a Junior, I took Physics. I liked it quite a bit, and actually had fun sometimes. The teachers were laid back, and it made it a lot easier, but I doubt many other people would have very similar experiences.

jtbp

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Freshmen- Hon. Bio I
    Sophomore- Hon Chem I
    Junior *projected*- AP Chem
    Senior *projected*- AP Physics

This is the path my teachers have told me is what most kids down here do, so I guess I'm gonna do it as well. Bio was simple, chem was difficult by end of the year, but I'll probably tough out AP Chem and AP Physics as well.

17. Freshman: Earth/environmental science
    Sophmore: Bio 1
    Junior: Chem accelerated
    Senior: I'm not taking a science next year. I don't have to and don't want to.

Chemistry is really easy.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Depends what you plan to be studying after the high school.

I'd think physics would be most widely benefitial, after that chemistry if you plan on studying anything related to chemistry and biology if you plan to become unemployed, sad but true.

Except if you are hoping to study biotech, then both chemistry and genetics are what you want.

19. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    freshman-bio
    sophmore-chem
    junior- physics and AP Bio (3 periods - rough)
    senior - AP physics

first two years=cake
    last two=harder than almost any class i've had yet at college(sophmore studying material science engineering and computer science)

i'd take physics. i feel like all high schools should teach physics to freshmen as it really is the most rudimentary science. it can be a pain, but you will retain more conceptual knowledge from physics than any other basic science class(that is if you enjoy all three subjects the same).

20. 9th- Biology
    10th- Chemistry
    11th- Physics
    12th- AP Physics AND Chemistry

Take the physics courses. I don't know much about your local laws, but out here rocket launches are completely legal in the city limits. As long as they rea governed by FAR101 laws (nothing above 62.5 grams propellant and 1 kg for the rocket)

Plus you get to do fun things like make pendulums out of climbing rope and bowling balls, or rol thousands of superballs down a hill.:D I loved my physics classes. The only fun stuff we did in Chemistry was play with 13 molar Sulfuric acid (burns through linoluem, by the way) and blow up an over-head projector by dropping Sodium into water. Whee!!!!:D

Oh, and if you hook up a Kosher Dill pickle to 110 volt current, it glows bright purple. Just thought you might want to know that.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist: