Calling all Warwick players. Would like your opinion...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello all,
    Recently I bought a FNA Ltd. 2004. It is a sweet bass, but I was thinking of selling it, and getting a thumb. I tried one out at GC tonight, and really like it. If I did get rid of this bass, I'd definitely get a Thumb NT.

What are your personal opinions? Is this a stupid choice? It seems like a don't hold onto basses too long, but I'm looking for the perfect bass or at least one I'll want to hold onto.
  2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    if you do, I'd go for a used 98 or earlier NT with the wenge/bubinga neck that they don't use anymore. they're far better IMO.
  3. +1, Mine is a 1997 that is a great bass. I got a steal on it $1280 used, usually you can pick them up for around $1800 or so when you see them around.

The standard Warwick warnings apply (weight/neck dive) so make sure they're not issues for you. Also, if you spot a used Dolphin (esp the old Rosewood ones) or Streamer give them a try as well as they're both great basses and might suit you a little better than the Thumb.

4. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I've played both pre and post 97 models, and the tonal differences aren't as easy to notice as people let on. They all sound great to me, but you'd have to play one of each and decide on your own. I too used to own a 2004 LTD, but I found the pre-amp to be very weak. Anyways, as you can tell by my sig, I'm on the hunt for one to complete my stash. I just can't decide on a 4 or 5. Good luck!
  5. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    There is a big difference between a 4 and 5 that I found out last night in GC. I may have read about it, but didn't pay any attention. The main difference is in the pick-up placement. Both pick-ups on the 5 are near the bridge. This was kind of a problem for me as I play closer to the neck, and usually rest my thumb on the edge of the neck pickup. The 4 string model evenly spaces their pick-ups out a bit more. Hope that was a consideration, and if not, perhaps it is now. ;)
  6. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Oh yeah, that was always an issue for me too. The sound is of course more "full" when you play on the neck p/u on the 4-string. I'm a big fan of a warm/growly combination, so I'm leaning toward the 4. But I'm also planning on starting a band and writing music in A. So I kinda need a fiver ya know? I'm still trying to decide if I should just use my SSII, but the Thumb better suits the tone I want...
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I REALLY favor the Corvettes... in particular the Jazzman model. VERY versatile and tons of classic Warwick growl.

The Thumbs really tend to neck dive on me, and feel heavier... maybe just 'cause of the neck dive. Neck dive is something I really just can not deal with at all. I hate having to "hold" my neck up.

I think both basses sound awesome, however... the only reason I don't currently own one is I just can't handle the extra narrow 5 string spacing.
  8. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I called a couple places. One place has a new one they'd let go for $2199, but I think I can get a better deal if I stick to used.

I called another location, and they have one in excellent condition with an ebony fingerboard for $1599.

I hate to ask so many questions, but does the Warwick with an ebony fingerboard take away from the classic Warwick growl?
  9. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think it does. I have a $$ fretless, of course with the ebony fretboard and plenty of growl. FWIW, I've been thinking about an NT4 also. Given a choice, I prefer the ebony FB. Glad the new ones are that way. Was that $2,199 for a new Thumb NT4? Sounds like a great price!
  10. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    yeah the thumbs are good but the warning of weight is huge. I'm selling my thumb BO because its too heavy and i'm getting some bad shoulder pain from it. Next up i'll be getting a stingray.
  11. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm not remotely concerned about the weight. I'm 6'2" and weigh 235 lbs. I've tried a couple out, and wasn't bothered in the slightest. Of course that's not to say I wouldn't be on a night during a 3 hour gig, but I'm not currently in a band right now, so that conern doesn't hold any relevance right now.

So $2199 is a good deal eh? I might just do it then. Thanks for your feedback guys.
  12. Some people swear that the Wenge fingerboard contributes to the sound alot, but i'm not convinced. FWIW Warwick has started using Ebony on the high end Neck-through models while using Wenge on the Bolt on version. It seems hard to believe that Warwick would 'compromise' the sound with a different wood on the high end models. I haven't tried the newer Ebony-fingerboard models so I really can't say either way. I think that getting the used one for $1599 would suit you well, your only issue would be whether or not you want to hold out for an older model.

If I was considering paying the $2100+ for a new model I would take a long, long hard look at the used Dolphin I see over at Bass Central for less than that first :)

13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Check out a streamer stage I or lx 5 string. More standard pick up placement.