Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling All West Australian Bassplayers!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pengwan, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any other West Aussies here on TB other than Chips and myself... the call has been put out!

"Proudly From The West"

Pengwan.

2. YEAAAAA.....

WEST SIDE!!!.... or sumin :eyebrow:

west is best

Peace out
    Chips :bassist:

3. Perth boy right here.

On a different note, I don't think I've ever seen you guys post before.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im an Aussie, but im from the other side of the country :D. So is Mark Latimour (SP?), PICK, Unharmed, Bassman_spike, and a few others.

I feel an Aussie TB get together coming :)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How wide is Australia anyways? About how long does it take to drive from one side to the other?

6. Its about 3200 km i think, but i'm not sure.

Bassis

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    A Mate of mine went from Melbourne to Perth driving. They started at 7AM every day and finished around 7PM. It took them 9 days.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its about 4-5 days (solid driving at between 60-100mph) to get across Australia. The mid section along the south coast is basically uninhabited.

Its about the same width as the USA, but imagine if only: Miami, Washington, New York, New Orleans, Los Angles and Chicago were the only major population centres and the rest was, for all extents and purposes, uninhabited.

9. you wouldnt wanna break down on the nullubor (however u spell it:S)... that would be scary

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you ever driven through Pennsylvania or Montana? You'd think those big cities WERE the only inhabited ones ;) :D

The reason I ask is because I remember Australia always looked small in our schoolbooks as a child-like it could be driven across in 1 1/2 to 2 days.

11. You could do that... only if you were driving one of those crazy jetcars that travel at about 300kms an hour (or so..) :D

Now that would be cool!!!

Pengwan.

12. This is something that anyone can do. Take our you map of the world and have a look at where the equator sits. Yes, thats right. The equator, the line that we designate as the 'middle' of the Earth sits, yeah, you guessed, 2/3 down the page. No, the equator does sit in the middle of your map. Obviously the result is that all countries in the top half of the world look mighty impressive, whereas the Southern Hemisphere looks kinda pathetic.

Leigh

Edit: obviously some maps aren't quite so ethnocentric - but no map can ever accurately depict a 3-D world without distorting or altering the image somewhat.

13. I'm another Sandgroper here :D

14. Luke Razor,

Stand Proud man.. Stand Proud! :D :bassist:

Pengwan.

15. East Side Y'all...anyone east sider, in sydney is DnBurgess, local Alembic, acme, acoustic image dealer.....cant wait to test the new epic 4 he's getting in a few weeks...was going to try it and some acmes and the alembic preamp when i come to syd to see vai on the 26th...but the lucky ^*)$^$(^& is going to namm over those few days..ah well....ill still have fun roaming the streets of sydney..see how venue music like me :D

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm in Sydney, but I've been doing a few gigs with a band that are originally from Perth. Does that count?

It's great fun. They don't understand Rugby League at all. They say things like "Martin Plaza" instead of "Martin Place" :)

17. Hey Pete,

May I ask which former perth band you been gigging with lately?

One thing i don't understand 'bout the east (as in NSW, QLD, ACT) is how popular rugby league is over there.. while WA's league team went broke.. good ol' Western Reds :D. I guess it didnt catch on very well...

Pengwan.

18. cos the west side aint as good as the east side :D :p

19. ...hmm... this means war!! :D :ninja:

What are the music stores like on the east??

here isn't all that much to choose from over here, music stores are scattered.. and everytime i go to one, i feel as though i'm getting ripped off :spit: Damn those sales people!! :D

Pengwan.

20. well over here, in newcastle, we're swarmed with fender, ibanez, ashton (shudder), monterey, washburn..not much on the side of musicman, rickenbacker....only seen 2 G&L's, 1 lakland which a guy was using in a band but i think they were from sydney, 1 kubicki (which i own)....nuffin exoctic really.....but were starting to gets the goods on amps, Hartke, SWR, EDEN, Ashdown...no GK as yet, Except for the small Backline Combo's