1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling Any/All Sonar Users! NEED HELP! Should be easy

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by selftitled907, May 11, 2011.

1. Im hoping that the problem I am having is in the sonar program and not anywhere else. Assuming that it is in the Sonar program I'll do my best to describe the problem I am having, so here goes.

I have absolutly no problem when I try to record any single track, be it guitar, bass, vocals or drums. But, as soon as I try to record more than 1 track at a time, every channel on my mixers seems to blend into all the tracks on the sonar program. In other words, I have an Allen & Heath Zed 24 mixer that has a USB out to my computer, and I can get sound and playback from my computer to come out of my PA system but trying to separate the channels of the mixer into separate tracks seems to be impossible, unless I record everything seperatly. What im ultimatly trying to do is to record a practice live and be able pick out each particular persons track, based on the channel they are in on the mixer. But I cant seem to get them to separate the signals from each channel. its like its taking the master/main output signal and stuffing it into each track.

Anyways, Im using the Sonar 6 LE edition that came with the mixer. If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gabe

2. I read the documentation for your A&H ZED 24 and the problem you're having is not caused by Sonar.
    The USB interface your mixer has is only capable of sending a stereo signal to your computer. You use this in a variety of ways (all explained in the manual) to have the mixer and a computer as a 2 track recording device, or an FX unit for your live mixes.

So, if you want to record and have each instrument going to individual channels in your DAW, you need a multitrack capable audio interface
    There are many options, like the presonus Firestudio project or the M-Audio Fast Track 8R.

3. Thank you Hellbastard! I kind of wondered if that was going to be the problem...however I was hoping that it was something I could adjust in Sonar to make it split the tracks on a per channel basis. I also have the PDF file for the mixer on my computer but when it comes to Stereo/mono and using FX and all that I'm not good at it at all. I have owned this mixer and Sonar for over 3 years and just decided last night to give it a go.

So before I make sure I'm understanding you properly I have to ask what DAW is/means/stands for? I have looked at and seen this anagram a few times in the recording forums but havent seen anyone explain what it is and i cant for the life of me figure this one out.

So as to understanding you properly....Would that Presonus Firestudio Project take the place of my mixer? I'm starting to think that my particular mixer just wont cut it when it comes to recording our rehearsals and getting each channel into its own seperate track.
    That really seems to be the case, which sucks. We dont need to use the USB for FX or anything really besides recording.

Moving on though.....one other question I would have would be, What would be the downside to recording our rehearsals into a single track? We would only be using it for the purpose of listening to for our own improvement so we can see how certain specifics end up working together. Also, I suppose we could just record single tracks sepratly and layer them, that would just take a bit more time that initially thought. No big deal there. Well any other feed back would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Gabe.

4. First of All, DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation and refers to the Software used to record, edit, mix and Playback the tracks you record. i.e. Sonar, Protools, Logic, etc.

The presonus would take the pace of your mixer, if what you want is to record each instrument to an indivual track in your DAW, but this kind of interface is not an adequate substitute for a mixing desk when mixing live. You can use it together with your DAW, but it won't be as easy as having the hardware Faders and knobs of a Mixing Board.
    Although, you can use the presonus and your mixer together in a live situation to have a multitrack recorder and a Hardware mixer. This is a bit more complicated, but doable.

Finally, the downside of having your rehearsals in a single stereo track would be that you won't be able to adjust levels, EQ or add proccesses and FX to an individual track. Say you want to add a compressor to the bass track, having a stereo mix won't allow it, if you put a compressor you'd be adding it to the whole mix. However if you commit to having a good mix before starting to rehearse and setting the levels appropiately, you can get fairly decent results for studying purpose and even to present them as demo material.

5. Thank you so much Hellbastard.

This has all been very helpful. For now I'm going to have to stick with what I have to work with as I'm too damn broke to afford some of those other units you talked about, any probally anything else that is similar but on a smaller scale. Fortunatly I have enough experience doing sound and mixing with the gear that we have that well....I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come up with a decent mix on a single track. Might take some messing with but thats kinda what I enjoy doing anyhow.

thanks again for all the help. So very much appreciated.

6. I think using a single stereo track for recording practices is totally acceptable. i can't think of too many people who run an 8 track session when recording a practice unless they practice in a dedicated studio space or just have lots of gear at the ready.

This will allow you to record 8 tracks simultaneously[​IMG]

but anything really short of that will have to be a two channel (stereo track) I think any USB device is limited to recording two separate tracks at a time (panned hard left and right)

7. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    That is the case. I second the Sonar or Presonus devices-great bang for the buck if you're doing live multitrack to a computer.
    If you're a Mac guy (probably not if you're using Sonar) the MOTU are fine Old School interfaces you can find for a song on Ebay or Craigslist.
    Personally, I only use my home studio for bass overdubs and remote sessions so I rarely record more than one Musician at at time there. I just scored an M Box and Pro Tools LE on Nashville's Craigslist for under $100 to have a dedicated "Pro Tools" computer. That program is ubiquitous, particularly in Nashville, (I prefer Sonar) so I decided to put together a tower for nothing but Pro Tools since it doesn't play well with other DAW software on the same machine. My total investment for tower and interface is well under $400 and it will do just fine for what I do.

8. Although I've used Sonar products since the beginning I also recommend getting some kind of ProTools rig, they are the industry standard and eventually you'll have to use one. I'm in that situation now, where my band is using protools and I have Sonar and I wish I had some way to work at home on some of the material.

9. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    That's exactly where I'm at. I started on Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 and stayed with it all the way through Sonar. For my money, it's a way better program for my needs than Pro Tools, it's just that Pro Tools is everywhere. It's like playing bass in Nashville and not having a Fender:
    "Where's your Fender? Ya gotta a Fender in that other bag?":D

10. This won't allow to record 8 simultaneous tracks by itself. The octane is preamp with ADAT output, but it needs an extra AD/DA conveter in order to get the sound to the computer.

I don't know which interfaces have you used, but today's USB 2.0 interfces are capable of recording 8 simultaneous tracks without a problem. In some cases, like the Tascam US 2000, even more.

11. Thanks for clarifying those two points, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about! I guess I thought the octave had a digital converter, but now that I think about it of course it doesn't . that's a whole other piece of the pie. And yeah those Tascams are really cool and not that pricey Product: US-2000 | TASCAM

12. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    The Octane does have A/D converters, but the only digital output is 8-ch ADAT. It has no interface for the computer or speaker outputs.

13. oh, sorry; indeed it does.