Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling any Warwick buffs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanNowhere, Jun 15, 2002.

1. I happened to drop by a "vintage" guitar store yesterday on a whim, and was looking around their bass section. On the wall was a Warwick, with a $ 550.00 price tag. I picked it up, played around on it a little. It was very light, the neck was nice and fast; I didn't get a chance to plug it in and hear it, but it really felt great in my hands. The guy at the guitar store had no clue as to which model it was, though, and neither did I.

Since all I know of Warwick is what I read on here, maybe someone with more knowledge can tell me if this thing is a low-priced gem, or an overpriced used lower-end model. The pickup configuration was a J-type in the neck position, and a soapbar at the bridge. It had the oversized upper horn, so I was thinking "Thumb", but I didn't know if all the Warwicks had that same basic shape. I asked what the neck wood was, and again, the guy at the store was as clueless as I; the color was sort of a dirty beige, not blond like maple, but not dark, either. It was a 4-stringer as well, if that helps. Also, the clerk told me the body was swamp ash, but I'm not sure if that's reliable info or not.

If this isn't enough information, does Warwick have a website where I can try to find this model? I just want to know if I need to go back to this store immediately with $ 550.00 in hand, or just pass this one by. Any help would be great.

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    It should have a plastic tag on the head that says the model! But the way that you have described it might be a warwick corvette. Now my corvette pro-line was a swamp ash. And has over sized horn. So if it is a corvette model you need to find out if it is a pro-model or not! And also look to see if the nuts are brass or not. If they are that means its a older model and would really be worth the cash! You cant go wrong with a warwick!

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sounds like a corvette or possibly a specialty version of the now discontinued fortress one. the fortress was made of swamp ash, had an extended upper horn, and had a 4 piece wenge neck. wenge looks, for lack of a better description, like chocolate. really dark, long straight open grain. it's possible that the corvette FNA jazzman pup config was tried on the fortress, which normally came with a P/J config on the 4 and a J/J config on the 5. it also came with a MM pup on the fortress masterman.

here's a fortress...

[​IMG]

i said all that about the fortress, because you said it was probably made of swamp ash...the corvette that comes stock with that pup config is a corvette fna jazzman...which comes with a maple top. so either way, you have a pretty special warwick...hese's the corvette:

[​IMG]

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

you would be surprised the results a search on yahoo would reveal...put this in your favorites ;)

yahoo

5. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    that couldn`t be a corvette.. i have some.. and if i was new.. then I was buying mine 2 yrs back for USD 1000(that time 1$ was 36 CZK ->czech money, now it`s 32) and in US a price list was almost 1300USD... but from that i heard some years back a warwick had some manufacture here in czech and they were making there cheaper models than corvette ( like MTD do)... so if that was a new bass, not a secondhand stuff, than it will be prolly some of those CZ basses (one my friend also had some warwick for same price with JP pickups, but i never saw it. he was telling me it`s a little different from my corvette - something about the wood and those pickups...) i really don`t know...

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmm...i didnt' even think about the rockbasses...if it says rockbass, don't buy it! i wouldn't anyway...if it has a brass nut, don't pass it up.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a Corvette FNA Jazzman with an Ovangkol neck. If it is, it's easily worth $500, as long as everything works.

8. Thanks for the great info so far. From the pictures, it looks very similar to the Corvette with the MM pickup, just that the pole pieces weren't exposed. The neck was a bolt-on, I didn't say that before, and from the description of the neck woods, it sounds like the ovangkol (sort of a chocolate color, but a lot of black grain running through it.

I looked for country of origin markings on the bass, but the only markings I found were that the tuning pegs were made in Germany; I didn't see anything else, except for a serial number on the back of the peghead. I also didn't notice if the nut was brass or not.

I think I definitely need to get back to that store, and check it out a little more closely, now that I'm armed with a little more info. From the price list on the Warwick website, even the lowest-priced model is well over $ 1000 US, unless it's the Rockbass (I'm pretty sure it didn't say that, though; the only marking on the headstock was the "W"). Unless this particular bass has some serious issues, it may be easily worth $ 550.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hmmm...it may be wenge. ovankol has a really bright, almost golden sheen to it with black and dark brown streaks. wenge is mostly uniform in color when quartersaw (when the longitudinal grain is really apparent). and it will almost always be really dark brown.

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Hmmm....MM type pickup but no pole pieces showing....Sounds like a Fortress Masterman or Stream Pro-M. If so it's worth the price. Check these models out at:

http://www.warwickbass.com/basses

under discontinued models

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Maybe that pup isn´t a stock Warwick pup, could be an aftermarket one, maybe a Bartolini.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but it has a J pickup too.

13. lets all hope for his sake it is a dolphin at a beautiful low price.

14. Well, what do you know. If I wasn't such a lazy-a**, I would have found that this store has a website. I just sent them an email asking about the Warwick, so hopefully I should have this mystery solved soon.

Still, all you guys' input will help me decide if this is worth pursuing. I'll keep you posted.

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the old master man basses just had a music-man pickup. no j

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    One MM pup, well actually two jazz pups together.
    :cool:

[​IMG]

17. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    i don`t have an idea... i am posting my corvette FNA ..check it out ...

18. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    MEC passive, Seymour Duncan active electronics
    ovangol neck

WARWICK = MYSTERIOUS FOREVER :rolleyes:

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i played a warwick corvette.
    just like the one above. i didn't like it.
    maybe because it was a 5 string.

steve