1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling Aphex Punch Factor Users!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McHack, May 9, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I picked up one of these, & I'm not really noticing much difference unless I crank the gain to at least 7. I then adjusted the volume to keep the level where it was, w/ the box passive.

That said, I'm curious what settings do most folks run w/ these little boxes. Basically, I just am looking for info to determine whether I even need this thing. I guess, I can keep it as a DI... but still.

2. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    i use one pretty much all the time and really like it.its pretty transparant(not totally)-i use it more as a limiter for those harsher speaker thrashing notes.i tried several stomp compressors and ended up keeping this one.(actually i have two of them)

i tried the di and found it wasnt all that great.

i set the drive around 2 to 3(not two oclock-2 on the dial)and the volume between 7 and 8.

3. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    oh also i leave the switch on passive all the time.even with active basses.nice little boost.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I run the drive at 4 or 5, and keep it on at all times during gigs. If I slapped a lot, I'd probably crank it to 7. I think it is transparent, and you might not notice its effect much until you hear it in a band mix or recorded. Then you'll find additional punch, taming of transients, and sustain. It's one of those things you might not notice when you turn it on, but if you use it for awhile and turn it off, you'll miss it. I think it's great.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OK, this illustrates why I asked this question.

I didnt notice that much, until I got the drive above 6-7. With that said, maybe I dont NEED compression. *shrug*

I'll continue to run with it, for now.

Also, I've seen comments regarding the 1/4" jacks. On mine, you have you use a considerable amount of force to seat the plugs into the unit. Is this common for everyone else?

6. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

i agree with this.i dont like a choked sound and this unit can get like that if you kick it up too high.but just a bit does seem to give it some thump and i miss it when i dont use it.
    funny but true story(and i almost hate to say it)but i compared this one and the demeter compulator in the studio.i actually didnt tell the engineer what i was doing.later asked him which track he preferred tonewise and he unknowingly picked the one with the aphex.i preferred it as well.

7. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

my 1/4" jacks are fine-not a prob on mine.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I have drive at 8 and volume set for unity. Even there I only notice a difference with my distortion (english muff'n). But, this is what I want from this pedal: lots of evening, not tone change (though I like what it does to the muff'n!). If your looking for a not-so-blatently-transparent compressor, then the PF is not what you want. It's meant to be transparant and it is.

+1, I've never had to force any of the jacks on any of my pedals except for my dime cfh wah.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'll just keep an open mind & fiddle with it...

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The PF is well-known for being pretty trasparent. If you want something that is more noticible, you might want to look elsewhere.

DarkHearted - Do you run your PF before or after the English Muff'n?

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    After. I find that it really brings out the sound I was getting from the EM going to my 15W :bag: practice amp. It's really hard to explain.... It's almost as if it makes the EM smooother.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks, DarkHarted. I haven't liked the results with the PF at the front of my chain. I'm going to try it in the loop of my SVT3-Pro and see if anything good happens.

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I have an MXR Super Comp I'd be willing to trade for your PF if you don't want it :D

The Super Comp is definitely squishier and more obvious, but I'm looking for transparency in a compressor.

Not sure how it'd compare to most other compressors, but it does work comparably to a Boss CS-3 (my brother owns one, so I A/B'd them a while back when I went to visit him).

PM me if it sounds like something you'd be interested in.

14. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Yo BassJam,
    I'm curious what different characteristics you noticed in your A/B comparison with the Demeter. I recently purchased the Demeter, but never tried the Aphex. My bass has an 18v preamp, and I keep my Compulator on all the time at around 10-11 o'clock. I had to back off the trim pot due to the high output of the bass. I notice extra punch, but it seems to choke the highs a bit and I can hear it breathing. When I back it off a bit, I really don't hear it working at all.. any comments??

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bumping,

I'm looking specifically for comments about the DI. Good, or Bad.

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Really good. see post in the other tread in which you asked this ;)