Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling "BS" on Warwick in new BP Katana review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    In this month's issue of Bass Player--Les Claypool on the cover--there is a review of Warwick's newest design: the Katana.

On page 56, there is a close up of the much-maligned Adjust-a-Nut II with a caption which points out that the graphite Adjust-a-Nut II replaces Warwick's original brass Adjust-a-Nut. The caption goes on to include an official Warwick statement that 'the height-adjustable graphite nut solves the commonly reported problem of the bass nut's hidden rattles.'

Am I the only one who has never heard of "the brass nut's hidden rattles" and who thinks this is a lame attempt to get people to stop paying greater respect to the company's pre-97 models? C'mon, Warwick. And for that matter, c'mon BP!

2. The brass screws in the original Just-A-Nut sometimes rattled on the two older (1990 and 1992) Warwicks I had, and I was never crazy about the fact that they seemed to want to adjust themselves up or down when I was changing strings--I would much rather have had a simple brass nut.

So no, I don't think this is a "lame attempt to get people to stop paying greater respect to the company's pre-97 models". I thnk Warwick genuinely sees the new nut design as an improvement. (It's not like it's any significant sort of cost savings!) You are obviously free to disagree with them, of course.

Mike

3. i recently bought one of these just-a-nuts and ni doubt it is graphite, it seems more like plastic, on the other hang for 8 dollars i think it was a pretty good deal, you can adjust the height of the strings at the nut whitch is why i bought it and yes it does alleviate most if not all of the buzz i was getting. i have to admit id much rather one of the old brass just-a-nuts and they have the ability to heighten or lower each individual string.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nothin' much to say about Warwick , just that i dig your signature ...
    :D :cool:

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    NO offense Mike...just funnin ya!

6. None taken! Just couldn't find the right smilie to express both rolling my eyes and rolling on the floor laughing at the same time!

:rolleyes: :D

7. Full agreement. My older Warwicks all want to adjust themselves at string changing time - and they're truly a pain to fiddle with when they do manage to get themselves a turn or so out of whack. I scotch tape the screws in place when I change strings, and if I'm quick enough this method works.

That said, my objection to the Adjust-a-Nut II is that it is quite sharp and you can catch or pinch yourself at the most unexpected times. What were they thinking?

A plain brass nut would have been fine with me. I praise the effort to eliminate the shortcomings of the original, but they missed it with the final result.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I found the brass just-a nut to be a pain in the butt for the same reason as other people have mentioned. I actually liked the graphite just-a nut much better, and I found that it was just as easy to adjust as the original model.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Now I ain't saying I agree or disagree, but whoever did that "Your bass makes Jesus said" is a freakin' genius.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My gripe with the just-a-nut II, besides the sharp edges, is that I have seen several on 5 and 6 string Warwicks that have partially collapsed in the middle.

11. mine is on a 5 string and the middle is fine, however its tuned E A D G C. now the only thing i have to do is find the right sized allen key so i can adjust the nut.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No doubt the creator of that sign is a GENIUS!

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    and the choice of the Streamer Standard was especially nice.

14. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The Warwick graphite nut sucks.

Sharp edges.

Riding on side rails!

It's also indictitive of a host of changes such as:
    Changing from Flush mount strap-locks to huge buttons.
    Wenge neck to Ovankol, etc...

Complaints about the most excellent brass nut?

Ever hear of Loctite? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. how does the Just-a-nut-II compare with Alembic's adjustable brass nut? (which IIRC comprises 2 brass lengths, 2 height-adjusting screws and one central locking screw)

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Alembic Brass Nut

[​IMG]

Smith Brass Nut

[​IMG]

Warwick Brass Nut

[​IMG]

Nice to be able to easily replace a single nut slot or all of them
    without removing the entire nut.

Individual String height is very handy.

[​IMG]

17. See... they do have minds of their own. Stare at the picture above and you can actually see them turning!

Loctite is a great idea, but exactly how many tons of force do you need to apply should you ever actually want to adjust the screws?