Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling Dr. Rhythm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hambone, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Well, based on the advise of some of our members, I bought a Boss DR-5 Rhythm machine off of ebay. I was looking for a device to use as a metronome but without the annoying beep...beep...beep. This thing is a freakin' marvel but I'm not when it comes to using it. I guess that it is best to understand that I have very little original music in my soul. I'm not overflowing with ideas and am not very driven to create MY own music. I am more of a collaborative type when it comes to original compositions. So this machine is probably lost on me. I do however see it's potential but need some practical assistance with some basic programming. I have the manual, so that is a plus but I think the space shuttle might have come with a simpler set of instructions. Is there anyone out there that could give me some pointers on figgerin' this thing out? We should certainly talk offline or by email. Thanx for any help you can offer.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ham -

I got one o'them puppies. Got fairly proficient at programming really basic stuff into it, I ain't no genius at it, but I'd be happy to try to help. Here's the biggest tip, find a dealer or go the the Boss/Roland website and order the instructional video that they have for the DR-5. That's the best advice I can give you :D.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have a DR-550(I'm not too sure about your model; it's gotta be newer than mine...should be "easier", huh?).
    Anyway, I'd recommend a drum book or two to help you in "creating" patterns-
    Mel Bay has two...one is by Frank Biggs, the other by Gary Chaffee(to be sure, I'll look when I get back home).
    Is there a GRID so you enter a "pattern" MANUALLY?
    The 550 has such a grid(it's usually depicted in 16 1/16 notes & in 4/4-You would see, for example...
    /1...2...3...4.../ which=/1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a/

So, say, a drum figure is-
    Kick on "1", "a of 1", "a of 2", "& of 3".
    Snare on "e of 1", "2", "4"
    Ride on "1", "2", "3", "4".

...just fill them in accordingly.
    If that works, then we'll get into 2-bar stuff & odd times.
    Later.

4. Thanx for the tip Gard, that's just what I'll do.

JimK - I don't know if mine is older or newer but it doesn't work like you've described. All of my beats are input directly from the keypad and are assigned to an area of the measure as defined by the initial setup. In other words, I have beats 1 - 4 (in 4/4) and each beat is divided into 100 increments for placement of the event. Just by dialing in where the event takes place, I can place, say the kick drum, slightly ahead or behind depending on which 1/100 I assign it to.

I think...maybe...no?...yeah, I think so.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hambone-
    Damn, that's light years ahead of my machine; I'm kinda limited to what I desribed above. I know newer versions allow for shifting(thus yielding a "shuffle" or swing rhythm).
    In any event, I'm pretty content with my dinosaur...all I'm using it for is to suggest a certain feel & act as a "musical" metronome for what originals I write(which hasn't been too much of late).

6. Well that's precisely what I wanted this thing for. And when I got the suggestion I thought it was perfect solution. Then I priced them locally and found out that they were well out of the range of anything I could afford. But, as luck would have it, I found one on ebay sort of mis-categorized. I bid on it not thinking for a moment that I would win. Damn! sure enough I took it. And I'll brag here a little - it was only $72! Anyway, if I can make it work and do what I want I'll keep it. If not it'll go back to ebay and generate some help with the current bass project.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Its a killer machine. Like you I use it as a metronome for bass. On guitar I use it as a backup band (I usually program bass, drums and piano). I'm also getting in to the world of home recording and it will be invaluable in making digital recordings.
    Like all other computer stuff ( after all that's what it is)you have to keep playing with it to get proficient.The manual is really pretty good.My first "song" took me three hours to program.Now I can do a rudimentary twelve bar blues in about ten minutes.Send me an Email if you have some questions.