Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling Fender Jazz (Passive) Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    This is a question for all you Fender Passive Jazz players (just Passive Fenders please, no other brands since that is all I have).

Just wondering how you have your amp EQ'd and what style of playing do you do (finger, slap, etc...)?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Well, before I put the preamp in my MIJ 75 Reissue, I had my amp pretty much eq'd the way I do now. But it really all depends on the amp your using, doesn't it?

And I like to do many styles, including finger, slap, a limited amount of tap, etc....

3. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    So what are your EQ settings? I just want to see how people have their amps set....no matter what amp you are using.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Fingers only. I eq my GK top 210 on a slide eq it would be a semi frown...I set my 150w 15 cab flat....I rig my amps in series. I also use a outboard pre-amp for boost and set it diffrent depending on my mood. My jazz 5 gets a great vintage tone.

5. I find with the passive fenders you can be a bit more generous with the bass and treble on the amp EQ. I find that the active versions tend to just have stronger & more defined lows and highs.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Ok, I have a SWR WorkingPro 700.

EQ:
    Aural Enhancer: 2 o'clock
    Bass: 1 o'clock
    Mid Level: -8 to -10
    Mid Freq: 800Mhz
    Treble: 1 o'clock
    Transparency: 2-3 o'clock

Bass Intesifier:
    Level: 12 o'clock
    Cutoff: 3 o'clock

http://www.swrsound.com/products/prod_images/swrsound/addtl_images/4450000010_axl.jpg

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Somewhat different settings for different amps:
    Ampeg SVT-3 Pro: flat (with either a Hartke 410 cab or Mesa Boogie 1x15 cab)
    GK 400RB: flat (with either a Hartke 410 cab or Mesa Boogie 1x15 cab)
    Ampeg B100R ("Rocket" combo, with a 15): flat, but with bass boost switch engaged
    Ampeg BA110 (30 watt combo with a single 10): flat, but with bass boost switch engaged

These days I play fingerstyle only, maybe using a pick 1% of the time. My bass has flatwound strings and series/parallel switching (set to "series" most of the time).
    If I had roundwounds and slapped at all (as I did in the '80s), I'd use a compressor and cut mids, no matter which amp I was using.
    Hope this helps.

8. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks! Keep them coming!

Since I switched over to playing Fender Jazz basses, I really haven't got my amp dialed in yet, which is why I am asking. BTW, I use a SWR Workingman 15 and Workingman 15 Extension Cabinet.

9. nice rig, I have the WM15 too - I'll bet that extension cab really opens the amp up!?

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Hard to say. I don't play slap that much anymore, so I like a bit of a boost round abouts the 500Hz marker on my graphic EQ...my Fender MIA Jazz has a natural low mid to it's sound anyway, so in keeping with it's sound, I like to have a bump in the low mids. I find new strings and the maple neck and fretboard almost eliminate any need for excessive treble.

11. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I play Jazz basses as well as Precisions.

The Jazz already has something of a smiley-face tonal contour, so I boost the low mids, keep the lows flat, and turn the treble down to around 3. I use the controls on the guitar itself for song-to-song variations.

With the Precision my EQ can be flatter.

I too use SWR gear. I stay away from the Aural Enhancer! It's a power sucker that actually hampers getting a good tone for "the mix."

12. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I play a '74 Jazz natural Ash-maple board.
    Ampeg B100R - Flat except for bass boost.
    BBE Bmax into Carvin DCM 1000 into GK 410sbx cab - Flat with maximizer and some compression (depends on room, of course)
    Even my Carvin fretless is being played passive these days.
    I guess EQing is better at the preamp stage.
    Hope this helps.

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    My EQ is usually set flat, with a 75-100% boost. I play fingerstyle, because I'm a horrible slapper.

14. kLumick

kLumick

Apr 4, 2004
    I get my sound through a eden wt-330 head paired with an aguilar gs212 cabinet. the enhance knobs set at about 9 o'clock. bass is flat, mids boosted a teeny bit just to cut through and give my sound a little more definition, and the treble is flat. the warm switch and added gain buttons are disengaged along with the bass and treble boost. i play d'addario chrome flats, mostly fingerstyle. lately i've been playing jazz and funk alot more than usual. but when i play rock, i pick between the neck and bridge pups. i go for a clear defined bass tone that isn't overpowering and sits well with other instruments.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Interesting to see a lot of people leaving things flat. I guess I look for a more hi fi sound, that is why my setting are all over the place.

16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I'd love to be able to leave my EQ settings flat, but my amp simply won't compensate for it, so I have to EQ.

Maybe when I get a better amp I'll be able to leave things 'flatter'.

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    It just seems to me that if everyone was going to just leave their eq flat, you might as well just get a straight power amp with nothing but a volume knob on it.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I play a Geddy Lee Jazz into an older Trace Elliot AH250 head into a David Eden D210 XLT cab.

I usually set the amp EQ with a bit of a bump in the low / mid range or sometimes flat. Add a healthy amount of pre amp gain and I'm getting the sound I want.

Something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    --------------+----+--------------------------------------
    ---------+---------------+--------------------------------
    ---+---------------------------+----+----+----+----+-----

Once in a blue moon I'll use the "pre shaped" switch to get a scooped EQ which sound neat to me for a few minutes, but I quickly tire of it. It sounds like garbage with a band. Flat sounds okay with enough gain, but can be "thin" at times.

19. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I knew a very good bassist who did just that. He played through a compressor (mainly because he was slapping all the time and wanted to "cushion" it a bit) right into a Crown power amp and that was it.
    Granted, he was using a G&L L1000, which had a little bit of onboard EQ. But still...

There's nothing "evil" or "good" about running the EQ flat. It's just personal preference and the musical context.

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

That is interesting as both of my current basses have bartolini active 3band eq's, yet I still feel the need to eq my amp. Maybe I should try this compressor to power amp setup...