Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling G-K NEO cab players (and others)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillm47, Nov 3, 2005.

1. I plan on going the NEO speaker cabinet route for portability. Which combination would you choose (and why) to go with a Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II:

a) GK Neo 212 + GK Neo 115
    b) two GK Neo 212s

The G-K Neo 412 looks cool, but at over 100 lbs it's not in the running.

FWIW, I play passive 4 strings. Music material is primarily funk, R&B, blues and classic rock classic rock. I also do some jazz/fusion stuff on the side. Need the versitility to cover most any type gig (hired gun).

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    These have caught my eye recently too, in my search for a different cabinet. I am interested to see what others have to say about them as well.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    For portability (I live on a 5th floor walkup) I'd probably grab another Neo112 to run with my 1001RB2, but if I had car and easier living arrangement, I don't know if I could resist the 115. IMO, the 12 + 15 combo would kill for RnB and blues, but the jazz fusion stuff might benefit more from two twelves (or even just one as a standalone depending on the ensemble) since it's not quite as low-bass heavy, and requires a bit more articulation. Great sounding cabs though, whichever you end up with.

4. I recently picked up a Neo212 to use for the smaller gigs when the El Whappo is just to big. While it is definitly not an El Whappo that little cabinet really does a great job. I play classic and newer rock and roll and when the band is in a medium sized room without to big of a PA the cab is great as a stand alone unit. I highly recommend it!

5. Oh yeah, you probbaly were curious about how it sounds too...

I find it to be quite punchy and a bit on the sterile side. It is plenty smooth though and not to clicky and such unless you cranky up the highs on it. I am driving it with a thunderfunk TF550(Great amp by the way!).

My only complaints would be that the design of the handles is not the greatest as the very top edge of the bracket has a tendency to extrude past the face of the cab and could be a sharp edge. HArd to explain unless you see it. If I had a digital camera I would post a pic. This however is VERY small and minor. I personally have never snagged anything on it including my LeCover Cover for it. The other thing I don't necessarily like is the covering. It has a seam on the back of the cabinet that looks like in time could get ugly if it starts to peel. Once again, nothing major...

6. This is a G-K (Gallien Krueger) cabinet?

7. Yes, GK Neo212

8. bump

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a Neo 112, and thought it was brittle and sterile at first, and I even considered exchanging it for an Aguilar GS112. But with a few hours of use, it really warmed up, and I've been very happy with it. My Jazz sounds simply stunning through this cab. I definitely agree with the "smooth" characterization; that's probably the dominant aspect of the tone. When I hopefully start gigging regularly again (drummer just quit :( ), I want a second one, or perhaps a Neo115.

The covering can peel at the seams. That started on my Neo about a month ago, but Krazy glue cured the problem.

I don't have the experience to comment on the Neo212 vs. Neo115 question for a second cab tone-wise, but the 115 is rated at 300 watts and you'll be pushing 350 into it with the 1001RB-II running at four ohms. I don't think that's a problem at all, but some might.

I suppose an advantage to the 115 would be another tonal option when you bring one cab. I could envision times when a standalone 115 would be great, and that's one reason I'm considering one instead of a second Neo112. Either way, your rig will sound huge.