Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling Hurley000 and any other 8 x 10 cab users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Station, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Station

Station

Feb 2, 2004
    Wales , UK
    I was just wondering how you find the tone and power of these cabs compared to a 2 cab stack, say a 1 x 15 and a 4 x 10 for example.
    Please give me your experiences and opinions good or bad and what brands would you recomend. I'm a Peavy-ite so would be interested to hear from anyone who has a Peavey 8 x 10.

Ta!

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I use 2 Hartke 4x10s, look in my sig if you wanna hear the tone. Plenty of power, plenty of bass, etc.

More speakers means you can move more air :)

3. The last three cabinets I have owned are ampeg 810's and I still own two of them. These are really great cabs especially the newer ones with 800 watts RMS handling. They are the only cab to use for a vintage svt head which are what I have but the Peavey cab might be better if you are using a more modern solid state amp as I think they are still a vented cab design while the ampeg is a sealed cabinet. So I would definately go for the Peavey.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Well, the title caught my attention... :smug:

I love my Ampeg 8x10. With my Mesa amp, it moves a ton of air. I used to play with a Hartke 4x10 (check my sig) and there is a clear difference between the two. I A/B'd a single 4x10 of the Ampeg with my Hartke. (BTW, LPB I like your tone. :) ) I'm a big fan of the Ampeg's sealed cabinet sound. It's just what I need for my punk/hardcore style of music. I agree with ampegsvtca that the peavey would be a good choice for you. I had a chance to play one briefly, and liked it a lot. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them too. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Just one thing to consider (regardless of what brand you get): my friend has an Ampeg 6x10, and although it has a slightly different sound (due to the bottom 2x10 being ported), I like both cabs equally. The 6x10 is a great compromise between the size of a 4x10 and sound of an 8x10. The 6x10 fits in my Jeep GC sideways, while I have to fold down my rear seats to fit the fridge. The 8x10 is 165 lbs, just so ya know. I don't know what the Peavey weighs, but I'm sure it's close. I'm lucky I'm young, cause I can't carry that around forever.

Sorry that was so long-winded. I hope this helps.
    :bassist:

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I had an AMPEG 810 and a Carvin 810 then I decided I didn't need my gym membership anymore because I was getting a great workout with those things. I since have switched to 2 D410XLT Edens. There is a lot more bunch and girth to my sound now. Not to mention if we play smaller places I only need to take half, it's nice. :cool:

6. Ive been a 410x2 user for quite awhilke now...but after touring as an opener for a major national act recently...I found myself falling in love with their bassists Ampeg 8x10 and the SVT head. Seemed like night after night, regarless of the room dimensions, all she had to do was plug in and play, hardly even changing EQ settings on the head...and that cab delivered awesome tone and was bulletproof on the road. But then there was the advantage of a road crew to move it around.
    I plan on buying one soon. (Just eating my Wheaties first!)

7. Station

Station

Feb 2, 2004
    Wales , UK
    Thanks guys. Just one more quick question, which companies make 6 x 10 cabs?

8. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I used to own the Peavey 8x10 cab. I was running it with just a 300watt hybrid head and it was plenty loud enough for detuned rock/metal. It sounded great and VERY loud. :bassist: The only trouble was with transport... that's really the only reason I don't own it any more. If you're willing/able to transport it then I'd highly recommend this cab.

SWR, Ampeg, Genz-Benz, Epifani all make 6x10 cabs... but I've never played any of these.