1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling Ibanez Bass Experts...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiz, Nov 1, 2010.

1. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    During 2003, I bought an Ibanez SRX500. This is a picture of the instrument:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4301/ibanezfull.jpg

Anyway, after 8 or 9 good years of playing, I'm looking to get a bolt on that is as close as possible to the SRX500. Most importantly, the neck profile must be as close as possible in terms of thickness, radius, finishing, etc. I am in love with that neck. I'd like to match weight and balance as well.

Can someone confirm if the new SRX series are generally consistent with the ones made all those years ago? I'd appreciate it greatly!

2. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    The SRX 500 was a bolt on neck... pretty much any of the other SRX's I've played were all about the same. No major differences.

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    From what Ive seen theyre consistent. Id look at the newer ones and consider options for upgrading pups/pre.... or also look at the Soundgears... they are very nice basses.

4. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I think the 5 string has a slightly different radius than the 4, but that may have always been the case.

The 4's differ their dots, blocks and binding, but as far as the radius and shape/size of the neck goes...I think the 4's are all the same.

I have a 590.

5. The SRX650 I had was fantastic.

6. The current SRX350 in natural ash is the essentially same bass. I loved my old SRX500, which I "gave" away in a pique of bass-gear snobbery, and I'm ordering the new 350 this week. I ignore all those ads saying it's a "heavy-metal" bass etc. I payed the 500 in a classic rock and Motown band for years and it sounded great. Personally, I think it sounded better than my ash tribute (I love blondes);the fretwork on mine anyway was superior. High output pickups can always be controlled, which is not the case with the lower output ones. Just my 2 cents.

7. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC

While nowhere near as versatile as the SR, the SRX has a unique distinction in the world of bass guitars (outside of Fenders, those don't count ;) ), in that it's played by both nasty metalheads... And Carol Kaye.

So yeah. Not exactly a one-trick pony. :p

8. I hate to admit it, but I'm a sucker for natural ash bodies; now, I see the SR600 has a natural ash finish, though not gloss. Perhaps this might be better, versatility-wise; at my age, being mentioned in the same sentence as nasty metalheads is, well, sobering; being mentioned with Kaye, that's good. Is the SR600 more or less unfinished, like the 500? I'm loving that grain.

9. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Yes, as far as I can tell all SR 500+ basses have natural-ish finishes. Gorgeous, might I add.

However, the SR neck is not the same as the SRX (and neither is the SRX sound). It's thinner and narrower (on 5-string models, it's a 16.5mm string spacing at the bridge, vs. 18 for the SRX). The difference is noticeable.

I love both, but if the SRX felt right to you, you should either a) go for it and not worry about any claims to heavy metal-ness (Carol Kaye, man!), b) at the very least try a SR before buying one.

10. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Never been a fan of the SRX series. To me, they felt and played inferior to the SR series. If you are wanting a similar bass to that of what you have, look at the SR 500's to SR 700's. Great basses for not a lot of money.

11. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Good-ish point: if you want an SRX, you should get one of the higher-end ones that recently were discontinued (the SRX700/720 series). They're an order of magnitude nicer than the lower-end ones currently being offered: neck-through construction, alnico pickups and gorgeous neck inlays.

I finally got around to recording my SRX725, by the way. I'll post links in the Ibanez or SRX club shortly.