1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

calling jimmym!! b25 help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spaz21387, Jan 24, 2012.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So I just spotted a ampeg b25 on craigslist. The guy says its 16 ohms. Can this handle a 4 ohm cab or not?

2. this thread was started 2 mins ago and he isnt here yet?

CALL THE POLICE, JIMMY IS MISSING

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    ha good one. I know how hes the tb ampeg expert in here.

4. agreed

5. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I would say NO. It's really best to run tube amps at the recommended load. Not doing so might be alright, but it might not - you're pretty far off between 16 and 4 ohms.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    i think you'll find it's 16Ω or 8Ω. I would not try a 4Ω load with this amp.

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So where Do I find a 16 ohm cab?

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup. I had a B25 a long time ago. You should run it with an 8 ohm cab

9. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Not to spread bad info here, but....
    the amp is designed to be used with one or two 16 ohm cabs. One 16 ohm cab in the "speaker" jack, and you can add another into the "ext speaker" jack. The switching OT taps make this possible while keeping matched impedances.

Or, plug an empty 1/4" plug into "speaker," and a single 8 ohm cab into the jack labeled "ext speaker 16 ohm." This will give you a matched 8 ohm impedance.

10. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know of a bass cab that is 16 ohms. Buy an 8 ohm cab

11. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The B25B cabinet is 16 or 4 Ohm and can be switched between the two impedances.

12. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    2x15 -- 16 ohm cab from fliptops -- designed for your B25B!

Fliptops

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I think I might jump on the b25 then. Its not mine yet but theres a pretty good chance it will be.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry...I was out living a life...I'm back to my little box now ;)

Those in the know say it's generally not a good idea to run higher impedance loads than your tube amp output transformer can handle, but apparently it's not such a bad thing to run at lower impedances than specified. Jess Oliver often recommended people run their B-15's at 4 ohms to eke out a little more clean performance out of them. 8 ohms is easy with a B25, though...just stick a dummy plug into the second speaker out and it opens the 8 ohm tap for the first.

15. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You are correct about the switching tap, but it's on the extension speaker jack, not the speaker jack. So, you plug the empty plug in the extension jack and the speaker cable in the speaker jack.

Or if I'm reading the schematic correctly, you may be able to just plug the speaker cable directly into the extension jack for the 8 ohm tap--not sure about this, and I haven't tried it. Can someone check the schematic tand let me know if you agree?

OP. Another option is to run a B-25B with 2 8 ohm cabinets (as I do). You can do it ONLY IF you have a series speaker cable made. I am not sure they are commercially available, so, you may have to make one or have an amp tech make it for you if you don't feel doing electrical work.

Ben

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    There has to be something in the main output first or it shorts and you don't get any output. had the same issue with my v4 and svt when I've plugged into the wrong jack.

17. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    thanks for all the help. Ill try and go for this amp Ill be back with pictures If I can pick up this amp.

18. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    I owned a B25B for a few years, I I can tell you its a beautiful sounding amp. You will hear people recommending tube swapping to increase power, or solid state rectifiers for tighter lows, but I think the best thing is to leave it stock and enjoy it for what it is- possibly one of the finest recording amps/sane volume gig amps there is. Just dont be un-reasonable about what you expect from it. It wont cut it in a very loud/no PA support rock band situation. But if you can regularly mic your cab, and play in blues or country type of situations, (or any genre where the volume is under control) you will be sittin in the mix with tone that is sublime. I had really good results using the Delta 15A speakers (JimmyM's recommendation, thanks) 8 ohm each, in a 2x15 cab. Mine was the B25B cab with the CTS drivers, I just dropped in the Deltas to preserve the stockers, and got all the good of the originals, plus better highs, tighter bass, and more volume. They still sounded very vintage. I agree 100% with the above advice on the dummy jack. Just insulate it with something, it might be shockey. I also agree that the old Ampegs can handle load mismatch better than most amps, because of their over engineered trannys. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine.